33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 78.79%
  • No

7 21.21%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Veteran Poster

Default Re: Were You Baptized?

We are all born atheist/agnostic, and many of us are taught to worship a bronze-age, middle-eastern, genocidal deity (Yahweh) who is either unwilling or unable to prevent the slaughter of innocent children.

Being brought up Catholic, being taught to worship such a deity was pretty demented, looking back on it

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Look Marge, I'm reading The Economist, did you know Indonesia is at a crossroads?

About 20 yrs ago, there was a horrible accident on the Manhattan Bridge. A school bus had crashed into the side of it and it was going over the side all of the children had managed to escape except one girl who was trapped in the back by a broken window, the bus fell in and a young man who was on the bridge without hesitation dove in after it, he nearly died but he saved that little girl.
    When asked why he did it, his answer was that nothing mattered more than that little girl in that instant. The most inspiring thing about this event was that the young man was raised and was a practicing member of the KKK and the little girl was black. When the L.A. riots took place there were people that came from as far away as Iceland to help rebuild the city, the same can be said for 911.
    If there is a God, he, she or it resides in our capacity to demonstrate compassion! That and that alone will be our only savior.

no. third generation atheist. growing up in a predominantly areligious city, religion was never present throughout my youth. grownups believing in god are a concept i don't get to this day.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Yes. At 15 I "confirmed" my Christianity because that yielded the most cash/gifts from parents/family. At 23 I sent a letter to the Norwegian Church asking to be removed from their annals/records.

I was baptized - photo of church where the crime was undertaken attached. Got to about 14, after regular church attendance, and realised it was all rather silly. Still like the history and the architecture though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	64905739.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	548005  

Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by samspud View Post
    About 20 yrs ago, there was a horrible accident on the Manhattan Bridge. A school bus had crashed into the side of it and it was going over the side all of the children had managed to escape except one girl who was trapped in the back by a broken window, the bus fell in and a young man who was on the bridge without hesitation dove in after it, he nearly died but he saved that little girl.
    When asked why he did it, his answer was that nothing mattered more than that little girl in that instant. The most inspiring thing about this event was that the young man was raised and was a practicing member of the KKK and the little girl was black. When the L.A. riots took place there were people that came from as far away as Iceland to help rebuild the city, the same can be said for 911.
    If there is a God, he, she or it resides in our capacity to demonstrate compassion! That and that alone will be our only savior.
    An interesting posting.... and yes I dont know if such acts confirm God, but they do confirm goodness... especially your remarkable story about the KKK member

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

I was baptized, confirmed, and had my turtleneck trimmed.

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

Senior Member Professional Poster Kevin Dong's Avatar

turns out a lot of "christians" like tgirls

I was also baptized in Russia by the Orthodox church. If they saw how I'm living now the hair on the back of their necks would stand up. Lol. I also get a lot of guys with Jesus tattoos applying to be male performers. Trés Bizarre.

Senior Member Silver Poster

When my sister was Baptized the Pastor called her by the wrong first name. So we all wonder if when the roll is called up yonder, ....will she be excluded because of a clerical error?

World Class Asshole

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Baptised, first holy communion, confirmation... and then... puberty... questions... dismissal....anger... acceptance of others' faith.. distance... intellectual examination... total rejection of the notion of a deity... but like Martin I love the architecture, the history and, 100 per cent, the music. Among the finest ever dreamt off...