Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: fox news criticizes jamie fox over his role in the movie DJANGO

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet View Post
    JSA is more of a drama but very good.

I'll watch it eventually - it's on my queue on Netflix.
    Thing is...I've seen so many of these over the years...often stoned (which makes reading subtitles a challenge)...that often a third of the way through the film I'll have come to the realization that I already saw it.
    ...but if it was really good ...I'll enjoy watching it again.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fred41 View Post
    I'll watch it eventually - it's on my queue on Netflix.
    Thing is...I've seen so many of these over the years...often stoned (which makes reading subtitles a challenge)...that often a third of the way through the film I'll have come to the realization that I already saw it.
    ...but if it was really good ...I'll enjoy watching it again.
    The weed I smoke makes it difficult to follow The Flintstones. I hear 'ya.

The weed I smoke makes it difficult to follow The Flintstones. I hear 'ya.
    lol..what sucks is I've discovered some expensive weed I like....now I can't go back to the cheap stuff I could afford..
    ...so good that I get weepy watching "Sons of Anarchy" (just got through season 1.after everyone telling me I should watch it...they were right).

lol..what sucks is I've discovered some expensive weed I like....now I can't go back to the cheap stuff I could afford..
    ...so good that I get weepy watching "Sons of Anarchy" (just got through season 1.after everyone telling me I should watch it...they were right).
    I'm a big SoA fan too. Same people who made one of my all-time favorite shows, The Shield.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TO PROTECT AND SERVE.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	543476  

I'm a big SoA fan too. Same people who made one of my all-time favorite shows, The Shield.
    ...would've watched "the Shield" in its entirety,...but I actually saw the very last episode...so it would be tough to do that.
    ...might try "Breaking Bad" after I'm done with SoA...but it's going to take at least a week.

Hey! Get off my lawn. 5 Star Poster Odelay's Avatar

...would've watched "the Shield" in its entirety,...but I actually saw the very last episode...so it would be tough to do that.
    ...might try "Breaking Bad" after I'm done with SoA...but it's going to take at least a week.
    Or, if you'd like a cross btwn The Simpsons and Breaking Bad...

By the way, I will add... that in my opinion, Breaking Bad is unique in that they rarely waste a scene and there have been no throwaway episodes. Each ep is jampacked with plot. Watch the pilot and you'll be amazed how they got from point A (beginning) to point B (end), in a mere 60 minutes. Suffice it to say, I appreciate good editing.

Last edited by Odelay; 01-06-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Breaking Bad is great. I recommend getting the DVDs and catching up. I found out about it just into the second season. I DVR'd those episodes and bought Season 1. Got through everything in a serious hurry and was dying for more.

Too bad your first episode of The Shield was the series finale. It was a wild ride. Vic Mackey will get back deep into the shit again one day. Poor Shane and the fam though.

RIP Cletus Van Damme.

Post Re: fox news criticizes jamie fox over his role in the movie DJANGO

http://www.newser.com/story/160426/h...mpaign=rss_3_2

Quote Originally Posted by natina View Post
    "KILLING WHITE SLAVE OWNERS IS HEROIC" and........

Django Unchained: Conservatives Wage 'War on Actor Jamie Foxx'

DJANGO UNCHAINED Interviews: Tarantino, Foxx, Waltz, Jackson and Washington

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quentin Tarantino is a master of popular iconography. He weaves heroic stories and violently splatters the tale across the big white screen. Watching Tarantino is like being a kid and opening a forbidden Frank Miller comic under your covers at night and reading it with a flashlight.

In one sense, Django is a typical fantasy revenge like so many westerns. But it pushes everything to edgy comic book extremes. One frame shows how slave families were separated, sold to different owners, for punishment and profit. Another frame shows slavers setting up and gamblers betting on fights to the death between slaves. Another frame shows how slaves were branded. Another how phrenology supposedly proved the inferiority of slave races. Yet another lays bare the ignorance of the KKK. All these scenes graphically display what were the realities of slavery in the U.S. in the time period depicted by the film.

It is all of these atrocities, and the the knowledge that they are quite real, that makes the fantasy revenge all so sweet. It’s like Clint Eastwood painting the town red in High Plains Drifter only better because the crimes against the Eastwood character were pure fiction. It’s like Moses and his people escaping from Pharaoh in The Greatest Story Ever Told only better because Moses didn’t stomp Pharaoh’s ass and burn his palace to the ground. It’s like Brad Pitt assassinating Hitler in Inglorious Basterds because that too is a Tarantino historical revenge fantasy.

Is Inglorious Basterds racist? Is Django? In both films the audience is manipulated into ebullience over the violent demise of film’s antagonist and his seemingly endless army of mean and nasty stooges. Both graphically portray the atrocities committed against a scapegoated race by an ignorant yet dominant culture of another race. Yet very few commentators (if any) complained that Basterds was prototypical reverse racism. Why?

Perhaps the feeling by some that Django is racist arises because racism is not yet dead in the U.S. Perhaps the fire lies just beneath the surface. Perhaps some are afraid the film will fan those flames. Anyone perusing the internet just after Obama was declared the winner of the 2012 election could not help but notice the heat and glow of so many N-words uttered in vain anger. My theory is that Django is no more racist than Inglorious Basterds. But the fact that so many Fox News commentators and viewers perceive it as being “reverse” racist is evidence that racism (of the original, non-reversed, orientation) still exists in the hearts of Fox News commentators and their Tea Bagging viewers.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I don't have a problem with your review Trish, and after all its only a movie even if Tarantino is manipulating the feelings of the audience -apparently without much subtlety- but the argument with Natina is that she draws attention to a 'Right-wing'/Fox News attack on Tarantino whilst completely ignoring the attack by Spike Lee. Is one attack more worthy of exposure than the other?
    I see it as a spat between two schoolboys, neither of whom have made more than a couple of films worth watching anyway, but Natina has yet to explain why she is so selective in her choice of critics, and opts for the ones whose profile in this argument is lower than Spike Lee's. I am not sure what the connection is between 'race' and slavery, it doesn't look like this film is going to enlighten me either.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.