Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: An armed society is a polite society

Michael Moore Reveals the Truth About Columbine Killings:

And if you read down in the comments column, someone actually says that "Not to own a gun is irrational and flies in the face of history."

We truly live in wondrous times. Feckin' hell.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Escalade View Post
    Grow up.
    You don't need it. You want it.
    Does anything more need to be said?

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

On the issue of liability, unlike car owner, gun owners are not required to be insured against abuses and accidents. A policy for each gun should be required by law.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Silver Poster

Statisticians say the number of crazy murder outbursts are roughly the same now as when semi-automatic weapons were illegal, it's weird the latest batches of nutcases seem to be video game nerds, .....the new face of the NRA?

As far as society goes, each one is different.

Socially the people that are too normal to be sent to special schools or hospitals, but too odd to fit in with the crowd, their lives are social hell.

You get down to the slice of society that makes under 10 grand a year, that's where you have AIDs, crime, drug addiction, misery.

The thing about Newtown is it looks like a Hallmark card, and all the teachers and kids look like a Norman Rockwell painting. Unbelievable.

World Class Asshole

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by beandip View Post
    Jeez, it's perfectly OK for Oblabla, Hitlery Clintoon and Eric Hold-up to run "assault weapons" across the border to Messico where dozens of Messicans were murdered with our taxpayer bought gunz. Oh, and actually I believe now the count is 3 US LEO's killed by Oblabla's gun running.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/...-queen-killed/

Crickets...... I hear crickets...

Such hypocrites here.

See ya....wouldn't want to be ya. Remember, it's 2012 and we voted out the hate!

Bu-Bye!
    I don't really understand those who think it bolsters their point to speak like a nine-year-old. Calling the President "Oblabla" doesn't hurt my feelings, nor the President's. It just makes you look as though you're incapable of making a point like a grown up.

To wit, it is simply an empirical fact that having a firearm in the home triples the chances of being killed by a firearm for all occupants of the home. In other words, if you, Beandip, own a firearm, you are three times more likely to be shot to death than I am, because I no longer own a firearm.

These findings were first reported by Arthur Kellerman, currently director of the RAND Corp., in a case-controlled study in 1993. The NRA responded to Kellerman's findings by applying political pressure to have the CDC defund his research, but his results have since been replicated by numerous other investigators. You can find a recent literature review summarizing much of this research here.

Indeed, Nancy Lanza discovered first-hand the danger of owning a firearm. Her son Adam apparently was unable to purchase a firearm on his own. Thus, if she herself had not owned firearms, her son would not have had access to the "tools" necessary to shoot her four times in the face while she slept.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Hey! Get off my lawn. 5 Star Poster Odelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thombergeron View Post
    To wit, it is simply an empirical fact that having a firearm in the home triples the chances of being killed by a firearm for all occupants of the home.
    This is just such an obvious fact that I don't know why anyone argues the point. It's akin to arguing that cigarette smoking doesn't cause lung cancer.

I know two adult men who shot and killed their brothers, by accident, and live with that every day of their lives. One of them was 12 yrs old, his brother 14, and they were hunting together. He accidentally dropped his rifle, it discharged and killed his brother. Their parents had drilled gun safety and gun responsibility to them as soon as they were out of diapers. But it didn't save the guy's brother from an accident.

When guns are involved, the best laid intentions don't mean diddily.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.