Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New In Home HIV Test.....what will this lead to?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1646648.html

As described in the article, the FDA has approved an oral rapid test for over the counter sale. Basically, you swab your mouth and wait for the results that come in about twenty minutes.

So, my question is this.....will this lead to changes in people's behavior? You know the old scenario: "C'mon, baby. I'm clean! I swear! Lemme hit it raw!" So, with this available there is the option that other party will be like, "Ok, put up or shut up and take this test in front of me."

Now, it seems obvious that this test is far less useful than the NAAT/PRC and likely has the same multiple month window of any other rapid test. Knowing that people are often most infectious upon initial infection and high viral load, this isn't going to be like scanning someone with a tri corder from Star Trek and instantly proving they are clean or not. Any rational person would realize this. However, there are plenty of irrational and uneducated people out there. So, do you think this will inspire some people to keep a test in their night stand and have a false sense of security? "Well, I tested them! The test said negative! So, I let them hit it raw!!!"

Regulator Professional Poster JenniferParisHusband's Avatar

Default Re: New In Home HIV Test.....what will this lead to?

I think it will be good to have, but nothing kills the mood like, hold on while I swab your cheek. I may use it. If it's positive, nothing will ever happen, even with double bagging it. If it's negative, I'll still use protection. I don't hit anything bareback until its celebate with me for a long time, and the professional results have come back clean for a while.

Jus wookin puh nub.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Very good post and very good point, Wes. I’m sure you’re right: some people will definitely get a sense of ease from this, and take some unnecessary risks. There is a probability, that this thing could be more of a nuisance than a help, except for some professionals in the sex industry, maybe –and even then!...
    Then again, we are told in the article and the video that many people (if not countless people) are unaware of having the disease. By being able to learn so easily that they are infected, they could avoid infecting others, of course. It could therefore be beneficial.
    All in all, I agree with you that it is a two edge sword. You can make the best or the worst out of it. But I prefer knowing that this thing exist and is there rather than not, personally…
    JPH is also right though: what a terribly prosaic way to start a romantic evening...

Last edited by danthepoetman; 09-22-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Member Rookie Poster bottomXOslave's Avatar

bottoms are at risk i get numbers from guys and to hit my ass i done some random bare back been lucky haven't got anything ..

Regulator Professional Poster JenniferParisHusband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danthepoetman View Post
    Very good post and very good point, Wes. I’m sure you’re right: some people will definitely get a sense of ease from this, and take some unnecessary risks. There is a probability, that this thing could be more of a nuisance than a help, except for some professionals in the sex industry, maybe –and even then!...
    Then again, we are told in the article and the video that many people (if not countless people) are unaware of having the disease. By being able to learn so easily that they are infected, they could avoid infecting others, of course. It could therefore be beneficial.
    All in all, I agree with you that it is a two edge sword. You can make the best or the worst out of it. But I prefer knowing that this thing exist and is there rather than not, personally…
    JPH is also right though: what a terribly prosaic way to start a romantic evening...
    Holy smokes, I never thought of that. Could you imagine being a provider and having to break that kind of news to a guy who didn't know? WOW!

Jus wookin puh nub.

Vasto Lorde Gold Poster Quiet Reflections's Avatar

I think it is a great idea but would be skeptical of the accuracy, however I'm sure they will try to improve that over time.

Quote Originally Posted by bottomXOslave View Post
    bottoms are at risk i get numbers from guys and to hit my ass i done some random bare back been lucky haven't got anything ..
    I know from the giving end of things, condomless does feel a bit better. It's still not something I'd ever risk with someone I don't totally trust, but I've always kinda wondered if you could notice any difference on the receiving-end between a dude who's wearing a condom and one who isn't.

Senior Member Professional Poster gaysian71's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrimFusion View Post
    I know from the giving end of things, condomless does feel a bit better. It's still not something I'd ever risk with someone I don't totally trust, but I've always kinda wondered if you could notice any difference on the receiving-end between a dude who's wearing a condom and one who isn't.
    When you are a bottom like me. it feels a lot better to have bb sex. Unfortunately it's just not safe to do so. I have only had two bf's and one gf that would bb me on a regular basis. I have even had bb sex with a few guys that I didn't know. I suppose I should consider myself lucky because I have never caught anything. A test like this would be a good thing, especially fpr those that are very sexually active.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Westheangelino View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1646648.html

As described in the article, the FDA has approved an oral rapid test for over the counter sale. Basically, you swab your mouth and wait for the results that come in about twenty minutes.

So, my question is this.....will this lead to changes in people's behavior? You know the old scenario: "C'mon, baby. I'm clean! I swear! Lemme hit it raw!" So, with this available there is the option that other party will be like, "Ok, put up or shut up and take this test in front of me."

Now, it seems obvious that this test is far less useful than the NAAT/PRC and likely has the same multiple month window of any other rapid test. Knowing that people are often most infectious upon initial infection and high viral load, this isn't going to be like scanning someone with a tri corder from Star Trek and instantly proving they are clean or not. Any rational person would realize this. However, there are plenty of irrational and uneducated people out there. So, do you think this will inspire some people to keep a test in their night stand and have a false sense of security? "Well, I tested them! The test said negative! So, I let them hit it raw!!!"
    It will lead to more false positives since the hiv test is a complete fraud and has been proven. Welcome to 10 years ago.

Junior Member Rookie Poster

we all will die one day might as hell risk it