Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default What's Next for the Republican Party?

An openly gay Senator is elected in Wisconsin; States vote in favour of gay marriage, the legalised use of marijuana...voters have rejected Akin and Mourdock...

It seems to me that extremists tend not to get elected, that many Republicans are as liberal on social policy as Democrats, but that the tight score on the popular vote suggests that this election has not marked a significant change in anything other than the Hispanic vote, which in proportion is now more Democrat than it was in 2004; but I am saying this without a minute analysis of the figures.

Am I right in thinking that John Boehner is now the senior elected Republican, and that he is, in effect, the 'leader' -or the public voice- of this Party? I don't know if this means he will run for President in 2016, but I think it does mean that in the medium term, how his Band of Brothers in Congress work with the President, if they work at all, will be worth watching.

Do Republicans reinforce their conservative economics? Do they 'confess' that it is not what the people want, and find some new way of addressing economic policy? Do they realise that taking conservative positions on social policy is unpopular?

Some how or other, they have to find a way of getting voted in to the White House in 2016, and they need a charismatic, credible candidate. I would be interested to know how people see the next 18 months or so in the life of the GOP.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Default Re: What's Next for the Republican Party?

No matter who gets in they're all the same! Promise everything and deliver nothing!

0 out of 2 members liked this post.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Except for equal pay for equal work, affordable healthcare and Bin Laden on a platter

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Except for equal pay for equal work, affordable healthcare and Bin Laden on a platter
    And don't forget about the $600 billion spending cuts coming up

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    What's next..mmmm.. they join the 12.3 million unemployed lol

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Who's they? Calm down now. Take a breath. Now blow.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

This is the view of the editor of the Daily Telegraph, Britain's premier Conservative newspaper.
    The Religious Right is dead

By Damian Thompson US politics Last updated: November 7th, 2012

He won't be electing a President any time soon

Guys – have a quick puff of your joint before heading down the aisle with your boyfriend. In addition to re-electing Obama, various American states voted to legalise dope and gay marriage. OK, so they weren't necessarily the same states, but you get the picture. Last night was a victory for secular liberal America – or, to put it another way, America's emerging secular liberal majority. The United States is still pious by European standards, but the gap is narrowing every year. You cannot visit American bookshops without being struck by the popularity of atheist cheerleaders or agnostic self-help gurus; when I meet a young New Yorker or Californian I assume – as I would in Britain – that they don't go to church, have liberal positions on abortion and homosexuality and generally despise the conservative religious activism that, until so recently, had the power to elect presidents.
    Two points worth noting about this election. First, the Religious Right – and how dated that phrase already sounds – united around a candidate who, by most standards, is not even a Christian. The lack of an anti-Mormon backlash among orthodox Catholics and Protestants who were brought up to regard Latter-day Saints as sinister cultists tells its own story. Also, and here I'm going out on a limb, America has just re-elected its first post-Christian president (unless you count Jefferson). I've never thought that Barack Obama's churchgoing was anything more than Chicago politics: why else would a sophisticated Harvard-educated lawyer sit through years of incoherent ranting by the Rev Jeremiah Wright?
    I'll return to this theme, but even the Tea Party wasn't the Religious Right – at least, not at first. When Christian fundamentalists jumped on board, that's when public support began to bleed away.
    Americans: welcome to Europe. You may miss the City on the Hill but, hey – no one's going to give you a hard time if you stay in bed on Sunday morning.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/da...right-is-dead/

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

They need to realize there are other cultures and lifestyles out there. Focusing on one parameter of the population will NOT get anything done to put this country on the right track...especially when it's their policies that got us in this trouble in the first place.

Instead of working separately they need to work with everyone; the audience of the DNC was a more realistic view of how this country is than what was seen at the RNC. Celebrate diversity instead of condemning it...those other races/cultures are NOT going anywhere anytime soon.

AND KEEP RELIGION OUT OF IT! And I was raised Catholic.

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

Boehner has a rule that nothing gets brought to the floor of the house unless it can be passed without any help from democrats. He wants the GOP to own all legislation. This has got to end or the Congress will remain gridlocked.

The republican half of the Senate through filibusters have effectively required all legislation pass with a two thirds majority rather than a simple majority. This practice has to end. The Senate could require filibusters be attended or fail, or the republicans could just behave rationally and stop abusing the filibuster. In any case it is a source of gridlock.

This time the republicans can accept the president as their president and work with him and the democrats in good faith. Last term the bipartisan panel on Heath care hammered out an agreement that wound up looking more like what the republicans wanted (Romneycare) than what the Dems wanted (single payer) and the republican panel members still didn't vote for their own proposal!

Wllie Escalade is right, the GOP has got to grow a lot more inclusive. They have alienated women, blacks, Hispanics, gays, anyone with a modicum of education in science. Their governors have gone on a firing rampage getting rid of hundreds of thousands of teachers, firemen, policemen etc. They've attacked social security and Medicare, programs that are extremely popular. The U.S. is a huge country and a world power. As long as that is true it will have a correspondingly large government. The GOP knows that. It's time they end their small government rant. It's bringing all kind of clowns into the power structure of their party who simply are too naive to run or comprehend a nation as complex as the US; witness the clown car of GOP primary candidates.

5 out of 5 members liked this post.