Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

Default Re: Happy Election Day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai View Post
    I don't think I've ever waited more than 10-15 mins to vote. No wonder the USA has the least voter turn out among any Western democracy. I think I'd skip voting if I had to queue for over an hour?
    Why does it take so long?
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    It may depend on when you go. For instance, if you go around noon, it's super-busy because many people are voting on their lunchbreak. I went at around 2 pm and was in and out in 5 minutes.
    Got to my polling station around 7:45am...about fifteen folks in front of me. That line went fast though because of about 30polling booths. I was in and out within thirty minutes...and I had my parents with me.

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    We have similar type cards where I live in CT. The electronic machines seem VERY sketchy to me as well. Up until just a few years ago, we were still using the old pull-the-lever style mechanical voting booth.
    I think we should go back to the old pull-the-lever mechanical voting booths.
    Simple enough to test. No chance of hacking into the system. Greater confidence that it was an accurate count of the vote.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by RallyCola View Post
    I just voted about 40 min ago. Have you?
    dumb thread unless your on the corporate payroll getting kickbacks. whats so happy about an election that takes away the right of their citizins and is rigged and fixed.

fuck you

0 out of 5 members liked this post.

Karmic Whipping Boy Professional Poster Chaos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sp fan View Post
    dumb thread unless your on the corporate payroll getting kickbacks. whats so happy about an election that takes away the right of their citizins and is rigged and fixed.

fuck you
    Please...I don't even vote and I can see you're an idiot.

First off it is "unless you're on the payroll"
    Second, Citizens
    And third, rigged? If you REALLY think Americans wouldn't notice a rigged poll then you are the biggest moron i know. If you're going to PRETEND to be smart at LEAST learn to spell....

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    I'm the most amazing person you'll never know,because society has convinced you I should be ignored or avoided. Want to know something? Ask... Just ask.

fuck you

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

fuck you

He's had a warning/been flagged - so just ignore and don't feed.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai View Post
    I don't think I've ever waited more than 10-15 mins to vote. No wonder the USA has the least voter turn out among any Western democracy. I think I'd skip voting if I had to queue for over an hour?
    Why does it take so long?
    Election day is a workday for most people. Poles open around 6 or 7 am and close around 7 pm. So most people get up early and vote on their way to work, or vote on their way home from work (and delay getting home). Families with two people working have daycare issue to contend with as well. People holding down two low paying jobs have difficulty working voting into their schedule. Every once in a while there is a discussion about making election day a national holiday. One party always shuts it down. This year some poll watchers have been trained to question and harass college age voters and minority voters and these encounters slow the line for everyone.

Personally I suspect the practice of gerrymandering depresses turnout. Gerrymandering is an old idea practiced by both parties; but it has very recently been taken to the Supreme Court; the conservative court found nothing wrong with the practice. The Court also decided that for the purposes of speech corporations are persons. This year because of the superpacs voters in swing states have been so bombarded with ads many have just tuned out.

Don't be swayed, just...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VOTE.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	523774  

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyHarkness View Post
    this is why i should be the emperor of earth and have every country under my control alone .. much easier eh
    Well, you'd certainly be an improvement on the last woman who had the job.

Although her cock might have been bigger.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	margaret-thatcher-300x200.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	523781  

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Election day is a workday for most people. Poles open around 6 or 7 am and close around 7 pm. So most people get up early and vote on their way to work, or vote on their way home from work (and delay getting home). Families with two people working have daycare issue to contend with as well. People holding down two low paying jobs have difficulty working voting into their schedule. Every once in a while there is a discussion about making election day a national holiday. One party always shuts it down. This year some poll watchers have been trained to question and harass college age voters and minority voters and these encounters slow the line for everyone.

Personally I suspect the practice of gerrymandering depresses turnout. Gerrymandering is an old idea practiced by both parties; but it has very recently been taken to the Supreme Court; the conservative court found nothing wrong with the practice. The Court also decided that for the purposes of speech corporations are persons. This year because of the superpacs voters in swing states have been so bombarded with ads many have just tuned out.

Don't be swayed, just...
    In the UK, polls open at 7am and close at 10pm. The earlier closure in the US may well deter or even prevent folks who have a long commute or work after hours. That three hour extension could benefit your democracy.

And dear God, while I don't believe in you, please let Obama win.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Here's a nice bit of deception being put forth in Connecticut by Mrs. WWE, a Republican running for the Senate.

http://news.yahoo.com/linda-mcmahon-...-politics.html