Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Professional Poster

Default Transgender Student in Women's Locker Room Raises Uproar

Transgender Student in Women's Locker Room Raises Uproar
    The decision to allow a transgender 45-year-old college student who identifies as a woman but has male genitalia to use the women's locker room has raised a fracas among parents and faith-based organizations, who say children as young as 6 years old use the locker room.
    The locker room at Evergreen College in Olympia, Wash., is shared with the Capital High School swim club and a children's swim academy, along with the students at Evergreen.
    "The college has to follow state law," Evergreen spokesman Jason Wettstein told ABC News affiliate KOMO. "The college cannot discriminate based on the basis of gender identity. Gender identity is one of the protected things in discrimination law in this state."
    But according to parents, the fact that the student has exposed her male genitalia, in one instance in the sauna, is cause for concern.
    "[A mother] reported her daughter was upset because she observed a person at the women's locker room naked and displaying male genitalia," said a police report filed in September by a mother on behalf of her 17-year-old daughter.
    The Alliance Defending Freedom, an Arizona-based religious liberties group, sent a letter to Evergreen College on Friday, warning it that the decision to allow the transgender student to continue using the locker room could put the school in jeopardy.
    "The fact that this individual was sitting in plain view of young girls changing into their swimsuits puts you and Evergreen on notice of possible future harm," David Hacker, senior legal counsel, wrote.
    The college has installed privacy curtains, and said it would not change its policy for now.

Senior Member Junior Poster qwerty94's Avatar

Default Re: Transgender Student in Women's Locker Room Raises Uproar

this is a tricky situation... who's to say that a man in drag won't claim they're transgender just to check out girls changing?... i think there need to be stricter guidelines.... therapists letter, evidence of active HRT, etc...

clearly, i understand the whole, "I AM a woman" etc... but at the end of the day, you still have a dick and IF you are allowed to use your desired locker room/restroom/etc, you should be respectful of the rest of the people in that space. I cannot stand trans people who believe the entire world should cater to their needs and then completely spit in everyones face. You're in a women's locker room... people don't go there(usually) to see dicks everywhere...

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

till we fucking overdose Gold Poster amberskyi's Avatar

when ever i use the womens locker room im never fully nude.i may go topless to shower and such but i usually use bikini bottoms in which im fully tucked.
    my goal is to blend in with society as a woman,not make a spetical of myself

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

i heard from a trans woman on fb that this lady was actually a nudist and has caused controversy before over stuff like this..

What if she were forced to use the men's locker room.

transphobic ppl have claimed that these laws will allow pretend trans women ( men in drag) to infiltrate the locker room to prey on women but these laws have been on the books for a long time in certain places in canada and it hasnt happened. predators will prey regardless of the law.and trans women are would be victims as well. since when was it ok to persecute victims because of male rapists?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

I was beginning to think that this was just a case of a bunch of Christian soccer moms on a witch hunt, but now I'm not so sure. I don't agree with qwerty; I don't see any risk associated with allowing transpeople to use facilities associated with their gender identity. Assuming that there's a risk also assumes that transfolk are more prone to acts of public lewdness and indecency than their genetic counterparts and I strictly don't believe that's true. The Alliance Defending Freedom is taking that whole debate to the next level and seems to be implying transwomen allowed to use public gym facilities have a propensity to become sex offenders. What the fuck? No.

I think the church should be able to ban her from using gym facilities because she's being lewd and stupid. There are plenty of places nation-wide that allow nudists to express themselves; a church college's locker room isn't one of them and I'd assume she not only knew that, but purposely pushed the envelope so-to-speak. Irregardless, she should be treated like any other female misusing college facilities, not like a freak and possible sex offender.

Lastly, I don't feel this should turn into a "which locker room should she use" debate. The church obviously trusted her to use their facilities accordingly and she broke that trust; it's as simple as that. If anything, instead of feeling for this chick, I'm surprised she's not being berated by the community for setting back trans equality issues by about a decade.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    Last edited by GrimFusion; 11-04-2012 at 09:55 PM.

onmyknees Platinum Poster onmyknees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat1 View Post
    Transgender Student in Women's Locker Room Raises Uproar
    The decision to allow a transgender 45-year-old college student who identifies as a woman but has male genitalia to use the women's locker room has raised a fracas among parents and faith-based organizations, who say children as young as 6 years old use the locker room.
    The locker room at Evergreen College in Olympia, Wash., is shared with the Capital High School swim club and a children's swim academy, along with the students at Evergreen.
    "The college has to follow state law," Evergreen spokesman Jason Wettstein told ABC News affiliate KOMO. "The college cannot discriminate based on the basis of gender identity. Gender identity is one of the protected things in discrimination law in this state."
    But according to parents, the fact that the student has exposed her male genitalia, in one instance in the sauna, is cause for concern.
    "[A mother] reported her daughter was upset because she observed a person at the women's locker room naked and displaying male genitalia," said a police report filed in September by a mother on behalf of her 17-year-old daughter.
    The Alliance Defending Freedom, an Arizona-based religious liberties group, sent a letter to Evergreen College on Friday, warning it that the decision to allow the transgender student to continue using the locker room could put the school in jeopardy.
    "The fact that this individual was sitting in plain view of young girls changing into their swimsuits puts you and Evergreen on notice of possible future harm," David Hacker, senior legal counsel, wrote.
    The college has installed privacy curtains, and said it would not change its policy for now.

Somethin don't smell right here, but since there's no link to the full article, I'm left with more questions....Why is a 45 year old transgender in the locker room with the high school swim team and the children's swim acamedy? And what defines "transgender" in this particular case with respect to state law? The law seems to be well intentioned, but what's the criteria? Does it require a change in gender on state documents...should it?

Why is she exposing her dick in the sauna? I've never been in a women's only sauna, but don't they wrap in towels? Why wouldn't this person behave like what Amber described when in the presence of young people who may not have a full understaning ? This isn't Dino's apartment, it's a woman's locker room at a college that's appearently used by even younger girls.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by onmyknees View Post
    This isn't Dino's apartment
    Hey, I saw that. I have a 3 bedroom house in Westwood with a guest house, thank you very much.

onmyknees Platinum Poster onmyknees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet View Post
    Hey, I saw that. I have a 3 bedroom house in Westwood with a guest house, thank you very much.

LOL...somehow I just thought of you when I read the line about her in the sauna nude