'perhaps unethical but not illegal' is something you hear quite too often in politics. To often politicians smirk when discussing a transgression brought to light by the media as "there's nothing illegal about what I did". Shelly was untouchable (teflon) because he seemed careful...but perhaps grew too arrogant and became careless.
...I thought no one would ever be able to successfully prosecute him,...or even make the attempt. I took that for granted as much as I took for granted that his constituency would continuously reelect him no matter how cancerous he became to local politics.
...and yes, to me, so far Preet Bharara is like a superhero....like in Gotham. He just seems to be doing the right thing...and doing it very well.
Let's see if Shelly gives anyone up along the way down.
I could be wrong, but I would doubt the Governor did anything outright illegal. I do believe he stopped the investigative commission when it got too close to something he did, or to Silver, or both...but that might just gain words of censure from the U.S. attorney (and possible disapproval by the voters)
...but you never know.