Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Hey! Get off my lawn. 5 Star Poster Odelay's Avatar

Default Re: 2016...Christie vs Cuomo

Quote Originally Posted by hippifried View Post
    Cruz?? Really?? .. Coming from the base?? Really?? What base?
    Yeah, I'm not buying it either, hippi. If it was just Cruz vs Jeb or Christie then I might see it, but the Republican Presidential primaries is now a reality television event where all whackjobs are invited. Rick I-got-huge-stick-up-my-ass Santorum will be running again, for sure, and fishing from the same pond of voters as Cruz, along with several other wingers, to be sure.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

The GOP jumped the shark when McCain(in the unbelievable role of the Fonz) announced that Sarah Palin (dumb as a surf board) would be his running mate. They've been outdoing themselves ever since; one incredible sideshow after another.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Asswhipper Veteran Poster VictoriaVeil's Avatar

Christopher James "Chris" Christie (born September 6, 1962) is the 55th Governor of New Jersey, and a leading member of the Republican Party in the United States.
    A Newark native, Christie became interested in politics at an early age, and volunteered for the gubernatorial campaign of Republican Tom Kean in 1977. Graduating from the University of Delaware, he then earned a J.D. degree at Seton Hall Law School.
    Christie joined a Cranford, New Jersey law firm in 1987, where he became a partner in 1993, and continued practicing until 2002. Meanwhile, he was elected as a county legislator (called a "Freeholder") in Morris County, serving from 1995 to 1998 during which time he generally pushed for lower taxes and lower spending. By 2002, Christie had done campaign work for both presidents George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush; the latter appointed him United States Attorney for the District of New Jersey where he served from 2002 to 2008. In that position, he emphasized prosecutions of political corruption, and also obtained convictions for sexual slavery, arms trafficking, racketeering by gangs, and other federal crimes.
    In January 2009, Christie declared his candidacy for Governor of New Jersey. He won the Republican primary, and then defeated incumbent Governor Jon Corzine in the general election. Christie, who was seen as a possible candidate in the 2012 presidential election, declined to run, but he delivered the keynote address at the 2012 Republican National Convention. Chris Christie is widely viewed as a possible presidential candidate in 2016.

Thats from Wikipedia of all places lol.

MY two cents - Hes a solids republican centrist, media savvy and friendly. He is well liked in a a Democratic leaning state. IF he can get through the primaries, (No easy task based on the factious nature of the GOP), He would be a strong candidate for the Presidency.

I'm having a real problem with this meme that the base of either major party is the same as the fringes. I see no actual evidence to support it. The fringe candidates, left or right (for lack of better terminology), have gotten bumped out in the early primaries as far back as I can remember till present. The only one who got anywhere with a radical agenda in my lifetime (& I'm old) was Ronald Reagan. Well, Goldwater, but he got trounced in the general. Even he told the whiner/wingers to shut the hell up & accept the outcomes of the democratic process. I can't help but think that the loudmouths get media attention way out of proportion to their actual electoral support. As for the top spot: I think it's a very small minority around the country who actually want fanatics or stupid in the White House.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Hey! Get off my lawn. 5 Star Poster Odelay's Avatar

Bridget somebody (Christie Deputy Chf of Staff): Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee, NJ.

David somebody (Christie appointee to Port Authority): Got it!

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...ie_aide_bridge

Personally, I don't think this is as bad as everybody thinks it is. People across the country will laugh that yahoos in New Jersey got stuck in traffic and not really care about Christie's staff's involvement. And yeah, I know, emergency responders were slower to respond and some sick and injured people were affected. But if were going to hold gov't officials responsible for hurting people, then surely every politico who voted to loosen gun laws over this last year after an elementary school was slaughtered, would have been voted down.

But what Christie cannot do is go all Dick Nixon Saturday Night Massacre on his staff. That's super weak and nobody looks good when they're compared to Nixon. And it looks like that's going to be Christie's move. As long as he played tough guy, he would weather this thing. As soon as he goes soft, he cuts against his primary strength as tough dude from NJ.

EDIT: One more thing... the staffer should have gotten colorful with her command, like... "Time to go medieval on those hippy mayor loving commuters!"

Gold Poster

I hope it's a problem. Shutting down traffic for four days knowing that it will cause major delays for schoolchildren, sick people, and the working stiff just so you can blame it on a small town mayor is disgusting.

Unfortunately there are people who oppose gun control and consider it a principled position however misguided they are. What Christie was probably involved in is just a cynical, classic abuse of power. No politician should be able to survive intentionally subverting government to hinder a rival.

Gold Poster

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,4169085.story

Could it be he's innocent? If he is, you have to respect the way he's handling it so far.

So far there's no proof that he was involved...as long as that holds and he makes some changes - then it becomes a non-issue.

Sometimes it hardly matters anyway - if the voters like you...then short of murder...you're in...people elect mayors smoking crack on video, elect representatives that clearly don't pay their taxes...and comptrollers that steal...the list goes on.
    Politicians can lie,steal, cheat,etc...and often the same populace that complains about those things in politicians...will often blindly ignore those characteristics in their politician of choice. Quite often the argument is:"I don't care what he did as long as the other guy don't get in."

So far, if Christie doesn't get very far, it's because the Republican Party ultimately won't back him...but there is still a lot of time between now and 2016 anyway.