Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: Let the Hysteria Begin

One minor hole in the story, Ike was a republican. True enough he had to grapple with a republican congress that didn't share his vision, but they went along with him because he was a republican too; and he was the general who saw us through WWII. The interstate hi-way system was a brilliant vision and we owe much of our economic power to it. It is also an example of a huge government project and even today it's an ongoing government project to maintain and extend it. Who said government doesn't create jobs?

Ike also warned of the military-industrial complex, an idea is integral to the ultra-conservative vision that sees government as evil (though somehow they never seem to see corporations that way).

When Ike was asked to endorse a space program Ike called it, "ping-pong in the sky."

My favorite Ikism is, "Things are more like they are today, than they have ever been before."

So as you can see Ike often let his GOP side shine through. Thankfully, he was possessed with at least one progressive vision: the interstate hi-way system.

Last edited by trish; 10-30-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

My favorite Ikism is, "Things are more like they are today, than they have ever been before."

Did he REALLY say that? Remarkable. I've heard it before but not the attribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Escalade View Post
    Who doesn't remember the Republicans DENYING the fact of our Moon Landing in 1971? "It was STAGED!" they screamed, over and over and over, "It was FAKED! They didn't land on the moon, they walked on a movie set! Wake up, people, the whole Moon Landing was FAKE!" They only shut up about the Moon Landing being fake, when the PLAQUES that the astronauts put up on the moon, received such wide publicity all over the world, and the satellites took pictures of them and beamed them back to Earth.
    ..I don't remember this, but then...I was only 9 years old at the time. I couldn't find anything saying the Republican Party denied the moon landing.
    ...Can someone else find this for me?
    ...just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post

Did he REALLY say that? Remarkable. I've heard it before but not the attribution.
    Sounds like "Stengalese" or a "Yogiism".

I don't remember it being Republicans that denied the moon landing. It's always been the same conspiracy nuts who still deny it today. Back then, most of the lunacy was pushed by the Birchers. There was no love loss between them & the Republicans. Nowadays it's the "birthers", the "truthers", the "Rothchilds own the Fed" nuts, ad nauseum. Of course they've been invited into the new crazier tea bag totin' Republican party, along with the egoist cult & "America should be part of the 3rd world" austerity fanatics, in order to swell the numbers & make them seem more legit so the media will be polite. & we thought politics was silly before the "information age".

BTW: The interstate highway system was built as a national defense project.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~