Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Skyfall

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Default Re: Skyfall

The place i go to see most movies is extremely respectful of the film makers' art. NO ONE texts or uses their phones. On one occasion one girl who did have her Iphone on was literally frogmarched out of the place by another member of the audience.

he downside is that - as most of us are in the business - you sometimes have to sit through total dreck (it's sort of considered disrespectful to talk out) ... including the mammoth credit sequences of some films which list every person who worked on every aspect of it in every country. (production canteen staff - Guatemala, Drivers - Morocco et etc ) So if there i a lot of 3D or special FX you can imagine the credit can last five or six minutes. In a normal cinema screening most people are already on their way home by the time the credits finish.

No animals were harmed in the production of this post..

What is your all time favourite Bond film Steven - and the worst?

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    What is your all time favourite Bond film Steven - and the worst?
    Best in terms of how many times I've watched it and enjoy all of it is probably Live and Let Die. For Brosnan era it was Goldeneye. I love OHMSS also and for Connery, Thunderball.

The worst - but difficult. Obviously remove Never Say Never Again as not one of the proper franchise. Timothy Dalton ones were awfully made but I'd have to say, A View to a Kill was pretty awful.

I retain great affection for Goldfinger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goldfinger_poster.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	521679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpeg 
Views:	129 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	521680  

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

I hated the idea at first but, I think Daniel Craig has the possibility of becoming "Bond", the Bond everyone remembers.
    He adds a physicality to the role that's been missing of latter day Bonds.

Connery (A conscienceless killer, before he got soft)
    Craig ?
    Timothy Dalton - Brought back the killer
    Pierce Brosnon - Last was his best
    George Lazenby - Never really got a chance
    Roger Moore - If you could kill someone with a raised eyebrow...

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Senior Member 5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    I hated the idea at first but, I think Daniel Craig has the possibility of becoming "Bond", the Bond everyone remembers.
    He adds a physicality to the role that's been missing of latter day Bonds.

Connery (A conscienceless killer, before he got soft)
    Craig ?
    Timothy Dalton - Brought back the killer
    Pierce Brosnon - Last was his best
    George Lazenby - Never really got a chance
    Roger Moore - If you could kill someone with a raised eyebrow...
    Nice list, J. I see Craig overtaking Connery if they make enough movies.

There, to me, is an uninvolved quality to Bond as Connery played him.

Junior Poster

>Idiot.

Fool like you.

>Of course they're different, they're 40-50 yrs apart

Today they should be better, but not worse.

>They were films for different times.

It does not pardon the directors of these modern movies for all possible and impossible attempts to "catch the conjoncture".

>The latest Bond not only had an Oscar winning director who done a great job

Normally, modern personal Oscars are given for commercial success of the movie and for participation in this success of director, etc. team members. So, today the Oscar is not any more the sign of well made movie.

>If you didn't like the film that's fine - but don't talk out of your arse making criticism's which clearly are in-correct.

I really don't like this latest JB movie. As also the previous one. And I have all rights to say about it. We still have a democracy and the possibility to say "yes" and to say "no" then we find it necessary. Of course, this latest one is not the total "trash" as the movie, but the good evidence that the idea of JB movies degradates day by day. And if we add here the anti-China propaganda, - manifested by bestroyed colossus of Mao, - this degradation will become even more evident and rude.

AFAIK even the Russian people were pleased to see the old JB movies with all stupidities about USSR and modern Russia. Old JB movies were really popular there for years. Because people there understood well that it was a perfectly-made kitsch. Even if it was a kitsch about theirs country and about themselves. But now ... There is no more kitsch in JB movies. But there are the signs of political conjuncture. And people also understand it well. This time - not in Russia but in China.

>I've seen every Bond film multiple times - there are some hits and some misses among them irrelevant of the actor or period, but the Daniel Craigs, having watched them all in the past 3 weeks are excellent storytelling, acting and lend to the franchise well.

Well, then you should remember that originally J.Bond was a marine officer. And even dressed as civilian he should look like marine officer and not like cheap gigolo. This quality was obligatory respected by all old JB movies directors. The main character of JB movies always looked like the British marine. And now look at Daniel Craig and tell me there do you see the marine officer ? For him it will be better to play the Soviet KGB officers of 60-th / 70-th of Gestapo agents. But not the UK marine officer J.Bond.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by Avers; 10-31-2012 at 08:48 PM.

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avers View Post
    The main character of JB movies always looked like the British marine. And now look at Daniel Craig and tell me there do you see the marine officer ? For him it will be better to play the Soviet KGB officers of 60-th / 70-th of Gestapo agents. But not the UK marine officer J.Bond.
    Yes I do. Explain why you don't?

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MdR Dave View Post
    Nice list, J. I see Craig overtaking Connery if they make enough movies.
    Indeed.
    If he keeps up, he will be THE Bond that everyone thinks about. Think he was a great choice (20/20 hindsight).

Though, got to agree with Shaun Locke, Adele singing the theme tune of the latest film may have been a mistake (they want someone who can pronounce Skyfall).
    Everytime i hear it, i think Scaffold!

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Senior Member Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Avers View Post
    Who said that ? I "clearly" like all old JB movies. Excellent school of cinema. Have you ever seen them ? Or you have just seen the JB series with Craig ? Modern JB movies have nothing to compare with old ones with theirs excellent plots, bright colours, interesting ideas, brilliant actors, etc. And today we can see only the special effects with pretention of gloomy actors play. First you should simply watch any of old JB movies and next you should go and see this latest film to understand this difference.
    I've grown up watching James Bond on film & TV. I have seen them all.

So just to clarify, you find the new James Bond movies 'tired, old, and ridiculous', but like the old films which embody those things even more so... OK...