Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Skyfall

Senior Member Professional Poster

Default Re: Skyfall

Quote Originally Posted by Avers View Post
    Do you really think so ? Or you simply prefer to don't see that ? There are no any useless details and episodes in modern USA/GB movies. And you still thinks that it "is not saying anything" ?
    As Seanchai said, the abandoned island was just a set piece! It was ruinous because it had been deserted and left to the whims of a Bond villain...

If the film is attempting to ask anything extra of us, it is simply about the relevance of an old fashioned 'man-on-the-ground' spy tactic in a digital age. The film is very clearly pushing this idea. Your suggestion of Chinese communism is far too tenuous to be an intelligent application of a propaganda message within one of the biggest films of the year!

(You're reading way too much into an incredibly minor moment in the film - What is the total screen time of that collapsed statue? I'm willing to bet it's substantially less than the screen time devoted to Heineken...)

Junior Poster

>The film is very clearly pushing this idea.

No way. There is an attempt to do it but it's not so evident as it pretends to be. The problem is that the creators of these movies don't have any idea about the future of JB serial. If compared to all modern "spy actions" the traditional JB movies with theirs traditional values can be considered as too conservative. This is the same thing as the "Rolling Sones" in modern age. The representatives of old generation. Still alive, old, sick and tired and ... ridiculous. Not modern. The same is for JB movies. The main concept of these movies is too old. And all attempts to transform it for modern people make them look ridiculous. So, that's why they have less and less common with traditional JB movies with theirs "spy charms". And tehirs creators try to invent something new that can support theirs popularity in competition with modern "bloody spy actions". For example - the banality of electronic spy.

>Please send me the link on where people are making protests about it in China?

Well, check Google. It helps. The reaction is strongly negative.

>Your suggestion of Chinese communism is far too tenuous to be an intelligent application of a propaganda message within one of the biggest films of the year!

Do you remember the chinese prostitute killed on the isle with broken Mao statue ? Yes, it's minor episode, but it's very eloquent. According to it, the China should not forget its place in modern world as also the modern chinease elite created by the West (manifested by this prostitute, elevated by Western electronic gangster). If no, according to this propaganda element, this country has a risk to finish by the same way as this isle, depopulatred by small "push" of international conjoncture provoqued by all these electronic spies, etc. And this elite will find itself on the same place as this prostitute. All is clear and simple. Of course, this is not the main idea of this movie. But the reason to place it in this movie right now, because of independent and active international policy by China, is evident.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by Avers; 10-30-2012 at 09:34 PM.

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Well, check Google. It helps. The reaction is strongly negative.
    I did and I couldn't find it in either English or Mandarin?

Rookie Poster

REALLY poor quality movie. The worst one of all J.Bond series. With participation of completely old, sick, tired, ill and almost dying actress as ex-"M" and with constatation of almost dying China communism.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Professional Poster

The problem is that the creators of these movies don't have any idea about the future of JB serial. If compared to all modern "spy actions" the traditional JB movies with theirs traditional values can be considered as too conservative. Still alive, old, sick and tired and ... ridiculous. Not modern. The main concept of these movies is too old. And all attempts to transform it for modern people make them look ridiculous.
    You clearly just don't like James Bond films! Why are you pretending that you do?

You're really beginning to bore me. Ask yourself this:

How many people are going watch the film and take anything about communism in China away from it? An incredibly (irrelevantly) small amount of people!

Now ask yourself whether this is an effective propaganda mechanism for devaluing communism if such an absurdly small number of people recognise the message you claim is there? IT MAKES NO SENSE!

So far, the reasons you disliked the film were because of Judi Dench's 'old-woman' performance, the 'tired' formula, and a blatant anti Chinese communist message?! Stop being such a tool...

Yes, there is a 'pro-British' message - it's James Bond for fucks sake!
    (As a Frenchman do you find that hard to swallow?)

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai View Post
    I did and I couldn't find it in either English or Mandarin?
    Have you seen it yet Steven? I'm putting it off till next week in the hope that the cinemas will have become civilised again after the kids go back to school.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Junior Poster

>You clearly just don't like James Bond films!

Who said that ? I "clearly" like all old JB movies. Excellent school of cinema. Have you ever seen them ? Or you have just seen the JB series with Craig ? Modern JB movies have nothing to compare with old ones with theirs excellent plots, bright colours, interesting ideas, brilliant actors, etc. And today we can see only the special effects with pretention of gloomy actors play. First you should simply watch any of old JB movies and next you should go and see this latest film to understand this difference.

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    Have you seen it yet Steven? I'm putting it off till next week in the hope that the cinemas will have become civilised again after the kids go back to school.
    Went to a Sunday night show and the audience was extremely well behaved - no talking, no texting - I was quite impressed. Last time I went to the cinema was in US and my blood pressure went through the roof as I yelled at someone for texting every few mins.

It's a really really good film. A lot of fun, great actors, the story works. Deserves the reviews it's been getting in the UK.

>You clearly just don't like James Bond films!

Who said that ? I "clearly" like all old JB movies. Excellent school of cinema. Have you ever seen them ? Or you have just seen the JB series with Craig ? Modern JB movies have nothing to compare with old ones with theirs excellent plots, bright colours, interesting ideas, brilliant actors, etc. And today we can see only the special effects with pretention of gloomy actors play. First you should simply watch any of old JB movies and next you should go and see this latest film to understand this difference.
    Idiot. Of course they're different, they're 40-50 yrs apart
    Bright colours? You're talking about Connery era when that was the colour of the film stock. They were great films but its like comparing The Searchers with Deadwood or Unforgiven. They were films for different times. The latest Bond not only had an Oscar winning director who done a great job - but also four Oscar winning/nominated actors in Judi Dench, Albert Finney, Javier Bardem and Ralph Fiennes as well as Ben Wishshaw.

If you didn't like the film that's fine - but don't talk out of your arse making criticism's which clearly are in-correct.
    I've seen every Bond film multiple times - there are some hits and some misses among them irrelevant of the actor or period, but the Daniel Craigs, having watched them all in the past 3 weeks are excellent storytelling, acting and lend to the franchise well.