Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Skyfall

Senior Member Junior Poster surf4490's Avatar

Default Re: Skyfall

They deliberately looked for a more rough round the edges working class Bond ,Mi6 guys/girls are either analysts (geeky university grad or political animals )or the grunts (SAS/SBS Marine commandos ) Bond was always a cross between the two that didn't exist in the real world.He is becoming more of the latter .

Professional Poster lifeisfiction's Avatar

Did anyone ever read the books. The Bond that is protrayed is what Iam Flemming books described. Every actor has contributed something to the genre. I am glad Bond gets emotions. I still say Daniel Craig is my favorite Bond, because he is the one Bond if he was coming after you your pretty much dead. And the only Bond to do more pursuing then chasing. The only time Bond was all buisness was in Diamonds are Forever opening. Beyond that Bond was dangerous, but never threatening until now.

I still keep laughing at the idea Timothy Dalton was an Americanized bond when in fact Pierce Brosnan was born in America. Timothy just reflected the era, like Never Say Never and View to a Kill.

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisfiction View Post
    when in fact Pierce Brosnan was born in America. Timothy just reflected the era, like Never Say Never and View to a Kill.
    First time I've heard that? He was born in Ireland.

Never Say Never Again didn't reflect an era. It came out the same year as Octopussy which was actually pretty good. What it reflected was making a "knock off" Bond due to some contact clauses or other bumph. It was just bad. The Dalton Bonds were bad because they had poor directors and little money thrown at them. The re-booted Goldeneye had higher budgets and better production values including a quality director.

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Geordie Peacock in Our Friends in the North.

If you haven't seen it check it out - UK mini-series from 1996 that kickstarted the careers of Daniel Craig, Chris Ecclestone and Mark Strong.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Skyfall last night. First up the most remarkable thing was that, at the industry screening I attended, in the audience was none other than Sean Connery! Checking on the way the latest Bond handles things i guess. And M of course and the newest Q.

Anyway it is a great romp of a film - the opening chase one of the best ever and, though a little long, grips your attention all the way through. I think the Bond franchise is in great hands.

However Daniel Craig brings no personality to the role at all. He has steely eyes, perfect physique and is macho to the Nth degree. But every now and then you glimpse the notion of a mind of interest before it runs away and hides.

There is thankfully a little more wit than the first of the Craig Bonds - and I've never summoned the will to watch Quantum Of Solace.

All in all though - a good evening's entertainment. Nothing more, but nothing less.

Watched the premiere last week here in PI. It was phenomenal. Daniel Craig was impressive and Javier Bardem was a Hannibal Lectern in the making (possibly the glass cage had something to do with it LOL)

The opening scene was gripping and Bond getting shot and seemingly about to die totally set the tone of the movie...many of the scenes were shot in Asia too which lent a good variety to the movie...There were a lot of scenes that were visually beautiful especially for photography purposes...

It's a must-watch!

Last edited by liisawinklergirl; 11-04-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: additional writing

Silver Poster

Saw it this week and I fucking loved it. First time I can say that since i was a kid.

Craig is great in the role and I thought they did a good job giving a backstory to his emotional flaws both with his past and the juxtaposition of he and Bardem.

Having worked for women bosses at times, I thought Dench nailed that role of having to be tougher than a man to be respected.

If you are going to see the movie small spoiler alert.

So a couple of weeks ago I was with a girl who I trust implicitly who said Daniel Craig gets down with trans girls. So when he says to Bardem "What makes you think this is my first time?" I giggled my muthafuckin head off.

I've neverdone good things
    I've never done bad things
    I've never done anything out of the blue

Professional Poster lifeisfiction's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai View Post
    First time I've heard that? He was born in Ireland.
    I had to double check that and you were right about it. I always remember watching a program that said he was born in the US, but his parents moved at an early age. I was wrong with that.

I did see Skyfall. Daniel Craig is my fav bond. He reminds me of what Ian Flemming would have wanted. Its a good movie.

I do like the Timothy Dalton's Bond. I am one of the few, but I will stand by it. I prefer him over George Lazenby's Bond.

Hey! Get off my lawn. 5 Star Poster Odelay's Avatar

*** SPOILERS BELOW ***

A 007 film being derivative of previous 007 films is no surprise. But I was a little surprised that this one had some derivative parts of other non-007 films. The opening loosely steals from the Bourne series, getting shot, landing in water, and then going off the grid. I didn't mind that too much.

But the ending is awfully identical to Outlaw Josey Wales, right down to boarding up the windows before the onslaught occurs. I guess I preferred the Clint Eastwood original, better. And the granny in the Josey Wales shootout had a bit more gumption than M in this one.

Decentb Bond - not the best - but so much better than Quantum. Liked the fact tht the last bit was genuinily new (for Bond) but made many nods to the tradition (the guitar riff finally kicking in with the aston for example...) Really enjoyable.