Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Junior Poster

Default Re: Divas San Francisco

I'd love to see some final night photos from Divas as the place winds down. Please post some either here or in the parties section. It was a grand old bar.

Junior Poster

Any updates on Divas???

Junior Poster

Bumping this for an update.

Junior Member Rookie Poster

I stopped by last night just before 11:00PM and they were closed.

Junior Poster

End of an era

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Junior Poster

I will be in SF next week. I wish I could cancel the trip now that Divas is closed down. There is no other reason to visit the Bay Area.

Can we, as a community,do anything to save Divas? Either in the same place or elsewhere in the Bay Area? I think many tgirls are missing Divas too, not just us customers. Is there any entrepreneurs out there looking to start a similar place in the Bay Area? If so, I think that we, as a community, should support him/her. Let's do something about Divas! It was a unique place in the world (I can tell you this, as I am from Italy), so let's do something!!!

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Junior Poster

I'm going to be visiting SF this summer, and this news deeply saddens me.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

A bar where some of the girls hang out in SF seems to be Jolene's Bar in the Mission, especially on Friday nights.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Look Marge, I'm reading The Economist, did you know Indonesia is at a crossroads?

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

It's a shame what happened to Diva's but the combination of one of the worst managed clubs - and an owner without much business sense, coupled with factors in the market AND the fact that property were was worth a small fortune in SF could only but lead to it's demise. I was invited to look at the potential of buying it a few years ago - but the owner was so aloof and pointless (was more interested in hosting his karaoke for 8 people, then actually talking to me for any length of time when I'd traveled there especially, that even if I had been able to afford it I was put off.

With trans becoming more accepted then you'd find it hard to run a full time bar or club that specializes to a crowd like Diva's or other bars used to. The girls who "pass" or don't care about being clocked, would rather go to gay, mixed or straight clubs instead of a club which is usually on the seedier side, and the strange clientele it attracts. Any of you who have been to places like Diva's, would have noticed the socially awkward, or embarrassed to be there 'chasers' floating around being creepy. If you didn't see them - it's because you were it.

The real death of the 'tranny club' was the internet. When those looking for engagements could find what they wanted online, and when trans became more accepted at other venues then there was always going to be limited appeal. It is a shame, as many of these places provided an outlet where closet girls could be themselves, or those at the start of their transition could be more comfortable.

What you have now are specific nights, instead of a bar/club running 7 nights a week. Jamie's Tgirl Nights in LA is very good, a mixture of stars and faces, and lots of girls who are either just dressed for the night, or more discreet. There are other club nights of course, and there always will be but from a business perspective, thinking about running a 7 nights a week venue, I think is a lost cause.