Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Junior Member Rookie Poster

Unhappy Re: Divas San Francisco

Last day is March 30th. Sadly I can't be there.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/SidmjvaB8SvKGPny9

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Default Re: Divas San Francisco

Wow! It's difficult to believe its actually closing. The rumors of its demise have been going on for years, and I'm very sad to see it close, as I've been there many, many times and I've made friends and have met some of the most beautiful trans women on the planet there.

Hopefully, something will rise from the ashes, but I doubt it. I sure won't miss it's sleaziness and its hustle, but it was a truly unique place.. Alas, SF is changing, for good and bad, I consider myself lucky to have been able to experience it.

Cheers to Steve for running it for so many years.

Look Marge, I'm reading The Economist, did you know Indonesia is at a crossroads?

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Lorca81 View Post
    What I've never understood is the Diva's-Motherlode connection. Did Motherlode become Diva's, then move to its current Post Street location; did Motherlode move, then become Diva's; or were they always entirely separate places? All of this predates me reaching bar-going age by a few years...

I was in the service and then school for a lot of the 90s, so I only hit the Motherlode a couple of times and I didn't know Mark. So this is secondhand, but I believe the original concept was that "Divas" was to be the name of the whole complex. The first floor would be the new Motherlode, and the third and fourth floors would be Dragon, a club aimed at young Asian men. But Mark's partner Joe died and Mark got sick, so they canceled the Dragon part and Steve came in as a buyer. Steve told me it took until 2001 before he was finally able to get all the financing together to complete the sale, but Mark was basically out of the picture as of late 1998.

One of the other Divas regulars, a guy a little older than me from out in the Avenues, told me there was a little-known drag bar in the TL called Divas that was combined with Motherlode in the new building, but Steve says that's not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I may just have to survive on the memories of Lucy and the Vietnamese girl who is in the centre of the slide show first with Steve, then a silver-patterened dress and later in a white top and red skirt, can't recall her name.

Such great memories in the slideshow, Stavros. Sonia, Carla, Andrea… Is the Vietnamese girl Sonja? I can remember her laugh, but not quite sure about the name.

Senior Member Professional Poster gaysian71's Avatar

Does anyone have any proof that divas is sold or closing?

The info comes from one of the long time girls, and another has confirmed.

Senior Member Professional Poster gaysian71's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2k View Post
    The info comes from one of the long time girls, and another has confirmed.
    Which girls?

Jasmine and Lily/Kataluna

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Hello, everyone. I was hoping people could share some insight as I have only been to SF once and didn't have time to check out Divas (sad to hear it's closing). So, how's it like? Is it worth a trip to SF before it closes? Is it more of just a place where tgirls hang out and socialize or a strip club or a little of both? Is it best to visit during the weekend (presumably when it's at its busiest) or are weekday nights lively as well?

Veteran Poster

Alexis confirmed to me that the building was sold and Divas will close March 30. End of an era, for sure. So head on down to see it all one last time, but really the glory days ended around when Brianna put that guy’s eye out with her heel back in 2010.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by thombergeron View Post
    Alexis confirmed to me that the building was sold and Divas will close March 30. End of an era, for sure. So head on down to see it all one last time, but really the glory days ended around when Brianna put that guy’s eye out with her heel back in 2010.
    My god! Were you there? Any word on what happened?