Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Rookie Poster

Default Re: Divas San Francisco

It’s not in the Tenderloin. Not at all, but you’ll find homeless everywhere here.

Senior Member Junior Poster

I cannot speak to meeting a girl as I was there with my wife who is personal friends of one of the performers, but it was busy when we were there.

I saw at least five attractive woman and the men in the place seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Personally, I am not a club person, I prefer quieter places, with that said, it is perfectly fine for what it is.

Regarding the neighborhood, it was not bad, but not great either, there are places far worse where I live and there are much nicer places too, if you keep your wits about you and realize you are in a big city, I would imagine anyone would be safe.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by kmersh; 11-20-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ghbryans View Post
    It’s not in the Tenderloin. Not at all, but you’ll find homeless everywhere here.
    Polk and Post is definitely the Tenderloin. Historically, the immediate area has been referred to as Polk Gulch. Divas is on the edge of what they now call Little Saigon. But both are neighborhoods within the Tenderloin.

Rookie Poster

Technically, perhaps. But it’s not in the Tenderloin that everyone warns you to stay away from at night. That’s the area immediately around 6th and Market.

Junior Member Rookie Poster

One of the girls just posted in her Insta story that Diva's has been sold. Anyone have more info?

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2k View Post
    One of the girls just posted in her Insta story that Diva's has been sold. Anyone have more info?
    It wouldn't surprise me. There's been talk of the owner wanting to sell for a few years so he can retire. It's hard to blame the guy, since running a bar is tough, gentrification has dramatically changed the neighborhood, and he's run Diva's, and Motherlode before that, for like 25+ years. Supposedly, a condition of the sale is keeping Diva's, but who knows...

...oh, and or the record, Post & Polk is not considered the Tenderloin. Geary, which is one block south of Post, has always been considered the northern boarder of the TL. As someone mentioned above, the corridor east of Polk between Geary and California is called Polk Gulch. Although, because it's nestled between the Tenderloin and Nob Hill, natives and OG locals often call that area the "Tender-Nob."

Veteran Poster

Steve Berkey did not own the Motherlode. He bought Divas from prior owner Mark Gilpin in 1998, shortly after Gilpin moved the club into its current location at 1031 Post.

Last I heard a couple of weeks ago, Steve had an interested buyer. But he's had half a dozen interested buyers in the last few years, so I'll believe it when I meet the new owner.

As for the name of the neighborhood, arguing over where various subneighborhoods begin and end is a fine SF tradition going back to the beginning, but the San Francisco Fire Department calls Station 3 at 1067 Post its Tenderloin Firehouse. My grandfather was a tillerman there in the 50s and 60s. So call it what you like, but I'm a native and an OG local and I call it the Tenderloin, or Polk Gulch if you want to be more specific. Tender-Nob is more east of Larkin.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

It woud be a great pity if Divas were to close, but if it did and no equivalent establishment were to replace it, would this create a gap in the market that for commercial reasons will not be filled, or a sign of the times, that the key actors -transexuals in their 20s-30s no longer want to be seen in 'trans' clubs? I know a lot of working girls go to Divas both for fun and trade, but maybe what worked 10-20 years ago no longer does, and they used to say Califoria was way ahead of everyone else. I may just have to survive on the memories of Lucy and the Vietnamese girl who is in the centre of the slide show first with Steve, then a silver-patterened dress and later in a white top and red skirt, can't recall her name.

http://old.divassf.com/Divas%20at%20...ide%20Show.htm

http://www.divassf.com/

Quote Originally Posted by thombergeron View Post
    Steve Berkey did not own the Motherlode. He bought Divas from prior owner Mark Gilpin in 1998, shortly after Gilpin moved the club into its current location at 1031 Post.
    What I've never understood is the Diva's-Motherlode connection. Did Motherlode become Diva's, then move to its current Post Street location; did Motherlode move, then become Diva's; or were they always entirely separate places? All of this predates me reaching bar-going age by a few years...

Quote Originally Posted by thombergeron View Post
    As for the name of the neighborhood, arguing over where various subneighborhoods begin and end is a fine SF tradition going back to the beginning, but the San Francisco Fire Department calls Station 3 at 1067 Post its Tenderloin Firehouse. My grandfather was a tillerman there in the 50s and 60s. So call it what you like, but I'm a native and an OG local and I call it the Tenderloin, or Polk Gulch if you want to be more specific. Tender-Nob is more east of Larkin.
    That's so true about San Franciscans and neighborhood boundaries! It probably doesn't help that neighborhoods here get renamed periodically, like the Western Addition becoming "NoPa" recently /s.

Either way, it's nice to meet another OG San Franciscan since natives are so rare these days.