Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

Default Get your anti-Obama stickers and merchandise here!

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

Member Rookie Poster

Default Re: Get your anti-Obama stickers and merchandise here!

They don't have the "Don't re-nig 2012" one...

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

I saw this thread last night - but it had a lot more postings in it. I certainly did not delete.

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    I saw this thread last night - but it had a lot more postings in it. I certainly did not delete.
    I know; I had to restart it...in the proper location. Unfortunately less folks visit here, so expect a lot less views and such.

It's too bad; there was a good discussion going on...

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

Ms Anthrope Junior Poster GoddessAthena85's Avatar

this may get me a thumbs down, but it may get a thumbs up too... who knows

1 out of 3 members liked this post.
    Last edited by GoddessAthena85; 10-16-2012 at 02:45 AM.
    R.I.P Mitch Lucker-- whatever its not like Henry Rollins died

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Yet, if you don't vote you've done nothing to prevent the injustices you most care about. Vote on the differences. To bow out of the process is to abdicate your responsibility.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I agree with Trish on this, and would go further -democracy is not just about voting. I understand Carlin's cynicism, and he could be acidly funny, but its a form of political nihilism and is a dead end. The Tea Party activists have shown what, on another scale, Saul Alinsky showed in Chicago in the 1950s and 1960s, or Ralph Nader at the same time -democracy is about the direct participation in political issues of ordinary people, and if there are precise issues that enough people care about, the US offers the space and the laws in which to organise, protest, and maybe even force a change in policy. Choosing the right issue, using the right tactics, having a clear goal is effective. For decades Arabs were not allowed to do anything that is taken for granted in the US or the UK, they are trying to open up that free space between the citizen and the government which should not be owned by anyone. Voting is crucial, but can only be part of the process.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I agree with Trish on this, and would go further -democracy is not just about voting. I understand Carlin's cynicism, and he could be acidly funny, but its a form of political nihilism and is a dead end. The Tea Party activists have shown what, on another scale, Saul Alinsky showed in Chicago in the 1950s and 1960s, or Ralph Nader at the same time -democracy is about the direct participation in political issues of ordinary people, and if there are precise issues that enough people care about, the US offers the space and the laws in which to organise, protest, and maybe even force a change in policy. Choosing the right issue, using the right tactics, having a clear goal is effective. For decades Arabs were not allowed to do anything that is taken for granted in the US or the UK, they are trying to open up that free space between the citizen and the government which should not be owned by anyone. Voting is crucial, but can only be part of the process.
    I like the phrase political nihilism because I think that describes the sort of defeatism we sometimes hear. Yes, money is involved in politics to an unhealthy degree, but ultimately opinions matter as well and words can be just as effective a currency as greenbacks. Whether it's through voting, organizing groups to lobby congressmen or challenging legislation the individual can make a difference in political and social outcomes. Now, they have these statistics about how likely someone is to be the deciding vote in an election, which is on the order of one is many million.

However, this ignores the feedback effects of one person standing up for a viewpoint, writing about that viewpoint, volunteering in get out the vote campaigns. People can exert their influence in myriad ways by being relentless advocates of a certain view, and of lobbying to have that view reflected in legislation. If people don't want to be pragmatic it might be because they prefer to stand outside the circle and criticize what they see rather than compromise and get what they want in a somewhat diluted form. But when does anyone get exactly what they want?

Quote Originally Posted by GoddessAthena85 View Post
    this may get me a thumbs down, but it may get a thumbs up too... who knows
    George Carlin was great.
    Another great comedian, Bill Hicks, on how both presidential candidates are merely puppets. Nothing more, nothing less.
    As Bill Hicks points out: I like the puppet on the left, I like the puppet on the right.... And there is one guy -- namely colossal corporate power -- holding up both puppets.

And more Hicks:

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

And voting matters - wherever you live and in whichever country.
    Voting for instance will keep people like THIS at bay (a pic from a tea party rally).
    And now they even have a facebook page called
    Lets Put a white man back in the white house.

https://www.facebook.com/LetsPutAWhi...nTheWhiteHouse
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	577377_356313857796764_743298769_n.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	516460  

1 out of 2 members liked this post.