Default Lance Armstrong's Secrets Released!

Lance Armstrong's Secrets Released!

Default Re: Lance Armstrong's Secrets Released!

Lance Armstrong's Discordant Redemption Song:

http://www.edgeofsports.com/2013-01-14-805/index.html

Senior Member Junior Poster

This witch-hunt is farcical. People seems to be forgetting that cheating was rife and virtually 'normal practice' throughout Armstrong's careers and for him to be made some kind of scapegoat for 'damaging the sport' of cycling is so misguided. Yes he must be held accountable but he could not have got away with this had it not been so systemically and deeply entrenched within cycling. Too much finger-pointing, there are hundreds of cheats who should bare equal responsibility. the senior officials who turned a blind eye to this should bare at least as much accountability as Armstrong. That being said, I believe none of the sanctions against him so far have been unreasonable or excessive. It's just too much smoke and mirrors and the real players in this whole debacle are still working away with little impact to their livelihoods.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I am not sure that it is farcial in Armstrong's case because he became such a big name over so many years, and with his attitude he is asking for all he gets, and it isn't enough so far. The wider issue of drugs in cycling however had been badly handled and has been going on for decades. The first major English cyclist on the Tour, Tommy Simpson, collapsed and died on the Mont de Ventoux full of booze and drugs - but is it even possible to do the Tour these days to a daily level of achievement just on will and muscle-power alone? When I was young and fit and cycled round the UK there were days when I could barely make 20 miles; the Tour every day asks an enormous amount. Rafael Nadal has been accused I believe of using performance enhancing drugs, I don't know about football but booze and 'recreational' drugs have been common for years. Weightlifting must be one of the most suspect Olympic sports, someone I knew who lifted weights freely admitted that steroids were easily accessed in gyms.

Maybe the problem is that if sport was to open the box on this topic, the facts would be damaging to what has become one of the world's most profitable busiesses...but there still has to be proof...

Quote Originally Posted by tsmounting View Post
    This witch-hunt is farcical. People seems to be forgetting that cheating was rife and virtually 'normal practice' throughout Armstrong's careers and for him to be made some kind of scapegoat for 'damaging the sport' of cycling is so misguided. Yes he must be held accountable but he could not have got away with this had it not been so systemically and deeply entrenched within cycling. Too much finger-pointing, there are hundreds of cheats who should bare equal responsibility. the senior officials who turned a blind eye to this should bare at least as much accountability as Armstrong. That being said, I believe none of the sanctions against him so far have been unreasonable or excessive. It's just too much smoke and mirrors and the real players in this whole debacle are still working away with little impact to their livelihoods.
    And it's interesting that even Nike want nothing to do with him.
    http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/...ance-armstrong