Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Keystone Pipeline...

Default Re: Keystone Pipeline...

Eleanor Fairchild Reacts to TransCanada Destroying Her Land:

http://tarsandsblockade.org/eleanor/

Ms Anthrope Junior Poster GoddessAthena85's Avatar

I try not to let it get to me, but the face is that I live in a country and most of us live in places that when we "act up" say interfere with something involved in building this pipe line, monkey wrench something, etc there are laws in place that call it vandalism. Then there's the flip when we destroy something as sacred as the planet itself our leaders and many of the inhabitants on this earth call it progress. I'm glad to see Celebs standing up. This pipe line is a terrible thing in my eyes. Along with the tar sands.

R.I.P Mitch Lucker-- whatever its not like Henry Rollins died

Quote Originally Posted by GoddessAthena85 View Post
    I try not to let it get to me, but the face is that I live in a country and most of us live in places that when we "act up" say interfere with something involved in building this pipe line, monkey wrench something, etc there are laws in place that call it vandalism. Then there's the flip when we destroy something as sacred as the planet itself our leaders and many of the inhabitants on this earth call it progress. I'm glad to see Celebs standing up. This pipe line is a terrible thing in my eyes. Along with the tar sands.
    And, too, so much for actual property rights. (And, too, Daryl Hannah points out that the oil will be exported.)
    I've always thought that conservation/environmentalism would be a right/conservative issue.
    Ya know, preserving/conserving the natural world for future generations.
    It's a very moral response. To protect the natural world for future generations. Ya know, a conservative would think: let's protect the wonderful natural world for future generations.
    Well, forget about the politicians. They simply serve big business, big oil, big mining, big construction. Not small or even medium-sized businesses. But big.
    You'd think Romney, if he were a true conservative, would raise a fuss about protecting the property rights of ordinary Americans. Nah! That ain't Romney. Nor is it Obama.
    It's good that celebs use their bullshit celebrity for some good. And Daryl Hannah is merely acting on her moral and decent -- and conservative -- impulses. I mean, I view protecting the biosphere and the natural world, again, as a very conservative mindset.
    I want human beings -- and other animals -- to be around 1 million years from now. Well, even 1,000 years from now. But if we keep tearing, clawing and polluting the planet (antithetical to true conservatism) we won't be around, say, even 500 years from now.

Why I'm standing up to TransCanada's Keystone XL pipeline in east Texas

Don't buy the tale that this tar sands oil will make the US energy-independent. It's export for profit, even as spills poison our water.

by Daryl Hannah...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...onexl-pipeline

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

It always baffles me why people think it's wise to deplete our own oil and gas resources before we drain the available external resources. Yes we should have a sizable national reserve in case of emergency,but it only makes sense to me to exploit outside resources first. Oil independence really means, "open up all Federal land for free or cheap exploitation by the big oil corporations." It has nothing to do with benefitting Americans or national security. The oil from the XL will be refined in the gulf and exported for a pretty tax sheltered profit.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

onmyknees Platinum Poster onmyknees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Why I'm standing up to TransCanada's Keystone XL pipeline in east Texas

Don't buy the tale that this tar sands oil will make the US energy-independent. It's export for profit, even as spills poison our water.

by Daryl Hannah...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...onexl-pipeline

Hey Ben....If you were a welder, steamfitter, operating engineer, equipment operator, or pipe supplier and were dealing with 25% unemployment in your trades, you might not give a rats ass what some B actress was peddling. While I admire her passion, and don't think she's an evil person, I'll bet she's well fed and able to pay her mortgage and doesn't have to worry about putting food on the table. Step out of your pampered left wing tree hugging bubble and talk to some tradesmen who haven't worked in 2 years.

1 out of 3 members liked this post.

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

If its coming from Canada, it's foreign oil, right?

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Also ask that steam fitter, that welder( my Dad's a welder), that pipe supplier whether she can afford to pay daily for the bottled water her family needs once the aquifer is poisoned by leaking sand-crude.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Funny how it is only left-wing tree huggers who are concerned about the environmental wreck we are making of the planet. A news report on british TV last night included an interview with the Prime minister of greenland and offered proof of the impact of manmade climate change. A short term economic boom in prospect for his nation, but alarming evidence of the thawing of the ice in the Arctic. So a longer term loss for us all. No one should be complacent about these issues - and Darryl Hannah, actress that she is (so that makes her views irrelevent? Right?) should be applauded for lending the publicity that accompanies fame to an important environmental issue.

The Right around the world displays an alarming short-termist response to the challenges of environmental blight. The deniers of the GOP will make things much worse if they win the election.

2 out of 3 members liked this post.