Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Default Slavery was a good thing says Arkansas Republican

Jon Hubbard, Arkansas Legislator, Says Slavery May 'Have Been A Blessing' In New Book
    The Huffington Post | By John Celock

Jon Hubbard, a Republican member of the Arkansas House of Representatives, has written a new book in which he says slavery was "a blessing" for African-Americans, among other questionable statements.

Hubbard, a first term Republican from Jonesboro, Ark., makes a series of racially charged statements in the self-published book, including saying that integration of schools is hurting white students, that African slaves had better lives under slavery than in Africa, that blacks are not contributing to society, and that a situation is developing the United States which is similar to that of Nazi Germany.

The questionable statements in Hubbard's book, "Letters to the Editor: Confessions of a Frustrated Conservative," were first reported by Arkansas Times and TalkBusiness.net.

Regarding slavery, Hubbard wrote:

“… the institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth.” (Pages 183-89)
    On the subject of school integration, Hubbard described black students as having a "a lack of discipline and ambition," which he said has hurt the entire educational system.

Hubbard also tackled immigration and said that Christians in America are in a similar position to that of Germans during Hitler's rise to power.

... the immigration issue, both legal and illegal ... will lead to planned wars or extermination. Although now this seems to be barbaric and uncivilized, it will at some point become as necessary as eating and breathing." (Page 9)
    Hubbard declined to comment on the book when contacted by The Huffington Post, saying that he did not have time.

An Air Force veteran, Hubbard sells insurance in Arkansas and Missouri. He serves on several legislative committees, including ones dealing with issues related to aging, insurance, telecommunications, and waterways and aeronautics policy.

On his campaign website, Hubbard says he will defend Christianity as a state lawmaker.

"And perhaps the most important pledge I can make to the people of District 58, the citizens of Arkansas, and to myself, is to do whatever I can to defend, protect, and preserve our Christian heritage," Hubbard says on his website. "Regardless of one’s religious beliefs, if we as a nation continue to turn away from those Christian principles and values upon which this great nation was founded, we will have truly lost everything worth saving!"

Hubbard has a history of taking conservative stances in the legislature. In June, he called for the University of Arkansas to be audited to see if tax money had been spent on a panel discussion about undocumented immigrants. In February, he asked the state Department of Health to implement a policy that would require birth certificates be produced by anyone seeking non-emergency medical care in a hospital in order to prove their citizenship.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Slavery was a good thing says Arkansas Republican

Heil! Mr Hubbard…
    He envision “Wars of extermination” eventually as inevitable? You got to be kidding me? A House member in the US?
    “Slavery was good”? And what about the extermination of the First Nations? A blessing? The sacred mission of Civilization? So was Attila the Hun for the renewal of the Roman empire, I suppose. Or the bubonic plague for the improvement of Europeans’ immune system…
    He represents the people of “District 58”? Are you sure, Prospero, it isn’t rather those of Area 51?
    He’s against illegal immigration because he wants to save Christianity? Illegal immigrants are mostly good, catholic, therefore Christian, Mexicans and Hispanics! What’s threatening there?
    I have a hard time understanding how people can tolerate such individuals in their political life. I just don’t get it.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Hey, slavery turns out to be a win-win! The descendants of the slaves who survived the ordeal get to be citizens of the least grateful nation in the world, the slaves themselves got to build the least grateful nation in the world and the descendants of the slavers get to say, "I built that."

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Excellent ....

Quote Originally Posted by danthepoetman View Post
    I have a hard time understanding how people can tolerate such individuals in their political life. I just don’t get it.
    Likewise.

Senior Member Platinum Poster giovanni_hotel's Avatar

What's disgusting is people like Hubbard have supporters who defend his point of view.
    Three decades ago a high functioning hillbilly like Hubbard would have been political kryptonite for the GOP.

Senior Member Veteran Poster Lovecox's Avatar

It's too easy to hate this guy. He's obviously a nut. I don't believe he has any kind of a credible following. I'm more concerned with people that promote corrosive values in more subtle ways.

No one every wins when a human is subjected to control by another, be it through so-called personal ownership or for any other reason under the sun. I can not believe anyone would think so shallowly and self-centered as to even consider owning another.

A nut he might be, but he was elected by the good people of Arkansas to their house of representatives. So how credible does that make him?