Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default The X Factor 2012 (UK)

This year among the changes the X Factor has allowed people to bring their own songs, while some were encouraged by researchers from the programme makers to audition for the show. The result is that two of the songs are actually worth listening to, and are linked below -I do wonder if 16 is too young an age to be plunged into showbusiness. The girl -Ella Henderson- has a good voice, but lacking in depth, but the song is ok. The other one, Lucy Spraggan has written an amusing if bitter song but I don't see how she will progress though a competition that has different genres which won't suit her.
    This year's novelty act is an hysterical young man who I think is gay....watch and learn...

Any favourites? Or is this programme now just beyond redemption?

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Default Re: The X Factor 2012 (UK)

There are plenty of precedents for being plunged into showbiz a lot earlier than 16. Judy Garland. Shirley Temple, Jodie Foster. Tatum O'Neill. Mickey Dolenz. Stevie Womder. Michael Jackson etc etc

And the consequences?

I don't get it. You are the most outspoken pop-culture critic around here and have very refined tastes, but yet you watch utter drivel like The X Factor?

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

Use AutoTune!

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

As someone who makes a living by writing and performing my own music, I have a certain professional, if largely detached, interest in contests like this.

If they are now allowing contestants to perform their own songs, that has to be an improvement - it was simply shite karaoke before, albeit with the additional element of delusional desperation.

However, it's the obvious and cynical manoeuvring and manipulation behind the scenes that I hate most of all.

There's plenty of real talent to enjoy in clubs and pubs without this pathetic circus. If people would get off their arses and listen to live music the world would be a happier place.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    There's plenty of real talent to enjoy in clubs and pubs without this pathetic circus. If people would get off their arses and listen to live music the world would be a happier place.

Hear, hear!

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    I don't get it. You are the most outspoken pop-culture critic around here and have very refined tastes, but yet you watch utter drivel like The X Factor?
    I tend to watch the earlier parts of the show, as I am open minded on all kinds of singing, and you never know, maybe there will actually be someone who can sing -I don't like the format of the show and think it is quite stale by now. Most of the people involved cannot sing, but I do think credit should be given where its due -Lucy Spraggan's song is clever and well-written and even sung, by her, but its not much of a voice really. I am not immune to popular culture, even if I do find most of it superficial, and otherwise avoid it. I do not watch Strictly Come Dancing, for example. There are limits.

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    As someone who makes a living by writing and performing my own music, I have a certain professional, if largely detached, interest in contests like this.

If they are now allowing contestants to perform their own songs, that has to be an improvement - it was simply shite karaoke before, albeit with the additional element of delusional desperation.

However, it's the obvious and cynical manoeuvring and manipulation behind the scenes that I hate most of all.

I agree that the format of the show is terrible, and isn't even about the music, but would you not at least agree that Spraggans song is clever and well done? As it happens I think she might have been able to get on without appearing on the show. But you are right about the alternatives -but what proportion of people go to live music in clubs and pubs? Isn't it disco that destroyed live music, rather than tv? I try to avoid pubs as much as I can, only going to football matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I agree that the format of the show is terrible, and isn't even about the music, but would you not at least agree that Spraggans song is clever and well done? As it happens I think she might have been able to get on without appearing on the show. But you are right about the alternatives -but what proportion of people go to live music in clubs and pubs? Isn't it disco that destroyed live music, rather than tv? I try to avoid pubs as much as I can, only going to football matches.
    I'm steeling myself to give her song a listen, and I'll let you know. However, one swallow is unlikely to make a summer.

As it happens, Matt Cardle, who won the thing a few years ago, has a good pedigree as a band member and solo singer-songwriter. I met him and played at various venues with him in the pre-X Factor days. He was good, and talented. He had a pretty good voice, was a genuinely nice guy, knew his guitar licks and wrote some reasonable songs. So for those who knew him, his victory was painful and joyful at the same time - pleased that he won, sorry about the terrible straitjacket that Cowell puts on all his puppets.

I sincerely hope that one day he'll walk away from the tinsel and pick up his guitar again. Wait and see.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed