Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: TS Adriella Vendramine attacked in Dublin

Quote Originally Posted by Nikka View Post
    Is not the first time I read something bad about Dublin
    Under its urbane exterior, it's a tough town, and the economic collapse of the country has made things a lot worse...Personally I would regard it as Not Safe for TS/TG. There's no money there now anyway, no point in staying

Quote Originally Posted by danthepoetman View Post
    And of course, it is certain that no amount of money is worth risking your life…
    Word

Senior Member Junior Poster

I hope she will survive.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by MacShreach View Post
    Word
    Yep! Word Perfect!

Under its urbane exterior, it's a tough town, and the economic collapse of the country has made things a lot worse...Personally I would regard it as Not Safe for TS/TG. There's no money there now anyway, no point in staying
    That's sadly all too true. It's not the fun and civilised place that it was to visit during the 90s. It's likely that countries like Portugal, Spain, Italy and Greece will or have already become difficult environments for sex workers, tg or otherwise.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Poverty and desperation breeds the need for victims and scapegoats and brings up old intolerances. I think RL is riht to speculate that other European countries wracked by economic ills will became more dangerous places for sex workers. And we are already seing hatred towards eother minority groups - such as Gypsies.

However the - now deleted - ignorant outpourings of hatred towards the irish and the branding of the Irish people as primitive and uncivilised thugs - is wholly innappropriate in response to a tragic attack of this sort. Similar attacks have happened in the US and the UK.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

You’re right, Prospero. Irish culture is a 2000 years old +, venerable, remarkable, rich and imposing culture. It fully belongs with the old noble cultures of Europe. During the Darkest ages in European history, it became the depositary of some of the most important documents of the Western world.
    I know if I have said anything that offended Irish people for my part, or encouraged such comments, I do apologize; I really didn’t meant to, of course…

It wasn't you Dan - the offender has just one post left in the thread where he remarked "typical".. which he then followed with a flood of abuse about the irish being primitive savages. Pathetic ignorance.

The people who did this were, indeed, savages... but not typical of irish or of men.

Quote Originally Posted by danthepoetman View Post
    You’re right, Prospero. Irish culture is a 2000 years old +, venerable, remarkable, rich and imposing culture. It fully belongs with the old noble cultures of Europe. During the Darkest ages in European history, it became the depositary of some of the most important documents of the Western world.
    I know if I have said anything that offended Irish people for my part, or encouraged such comments, I do apologize; I really didn’t meant to, of course…
    Yeah we know that Dan, some people are just hyper-sensitive. A large part of my bleedin family are Irish and they are not upset by having their obvious shortcomings pointed out--they did actually elect the Biffer as Taoiseach, after all. And yes they are rightly proud of their cultural tradition, which is closely related and in many ways antedecent to my own. This is not about the Irish but about transphobia, which is international.

On the broader issue of transabuse, I question whether our whole response to the question is not itself abusive, in that we medicalise it, refer to it as a disorder, an abnormality, a 'paraphilia' or a fetish instead of what it really is--a naturally occurring phenomenon. It is not up to transsexuals to change to suit society, but for the broader society to adapt to them as they are.

On the broader issue of transabuse, I question whether our whole response to the question is not itself abusive, in that we medicalise it, refer to it as a disorder, an abnormality, a 'paraphilia' or a fetish instead of what it really is--a naturally occurring phenomenon. It is not up to transsexuals to change to suit society, but for the broader society to adapt to them as they are.
    I agree with that.

Regarding the shortcomings of the irish, that is for the irish to own - not for someone here to abuse all irish in profoundly ignorant way because some thugs beat up a girl.