Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: The Romney Campaign is Imploding

Quote Originally Posted by yodajazz View Post
    I agree with you Odelay, but you missed the key point. The Iraq invasion cost over 100,000+ (?) Iraqi lives. Yet we simply ignore this, and pretend that it has no consequences. Saddams attack on the Kurds was around 1988-89 (?), over twenty years ago. We have all had family members who have passed on and missed, yet we pretend that Iraqi people dont miss their own. Saddam was holding a fragile, coalition of ethnic groups who have been fueding for over 1,000 years. Just the fact that the US coming in, temporarily unleased the security in this situation is important to someone who lost a loved one. I am assuming this, because I see all humanity as essentially the same. Even Obama can't publicaly acknowledge this situation, because is he is, then accused of sympathizising, with Islam.

But to ease the situation, that is to reverse some of the effects of invading someone's country the current administration adapted strategies to make the best of the situation. An example of this, is monies were given to rebuild a Mosque destroyed by other Iraqi ethnic groups. The administration issued a statement, saying they supported those who were attacked, and condemned the mosque's bombers. But small minded people who dont understand, that Muslims are human beings too, only see that this is somehow supporting potential enemies of the US; not the strategy that it is trying to win friends among potential enemies. And it also ignores that the US, had a causal part in unleashing the forces that made the attack possible. Colin Powell, understood the larger context of this situation, when he obejcted to the US invasion of Iraq. I believe he said something like, "if you break it, (meaning take it over), you own it.

Still Odelay, I agree with what you are saying to OMK. I'm just elaborating on it. But in addition to this, I want to give thanks to OMK for speaking in behalf of a real segment of the US/ world population. He's the "Washington Generals" of HA. For those of you that may not know, they are the team that the Harlem Globetrotters, plays every game, to show off their skills. So I'm now passing the ball.
    Excellent post. In case you don't know it, the Iraq Body Count website is here, and your figures are close to the mark.
    http://www.iraqbodycount.org/

1. "Corporations are people, my friend… of course they are. Everything corporations earn ultimately goes to the people. Where do you think it goes? Whose pockets? Whose pockets? People's pockets. Human beings, my friend." —Mitt Romney to a heckler at the Iowa State Fair who suggested that taxes should be raised on corporations as part of balancing the budget (August 2011)

2. "I like being able to fire people who provide services to me." –Mitt Romney, using an unfortunate choice of words while advocating for consumer choice in health insurance plans (January 2012)

3. "I'm not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there." —Mitt Romney (January 2012)

4. "There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. ... My job is is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives." -Mitt Romney, in leaked comments from a fundraiser in May 2012

5. "It's hard to know just how well [the 2012 London Olympics] will turn out. There are a few things that were disconcerting. The stories about the private security firm not having enough people, the supposed strike of the immigration and customs officials, that obviously is not something which is encouraging." –Mitt Romney, insulting Britain on the eve of the Olympics by suggesting the country is not ready, NBC News interview, July 25, 2012

6. "He [Obama] says we need more firemen, more policemen, more teachers. Did he not get the message of Wisconsin? The American people did. It's time for us to cut back on government and help the American people." —Mitt Romney at a campaign event in Council Bluffs, Iowa, June 8, 2012

7. "I'll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry's come back." –Mitt Romney, –Mitt Romney, on the American auto industry, despite having written a New York Times op-ed in 2008 titled "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt," in which he said if GM, Ford and Chrysler got a government bailout "you can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye"

8. "No one's ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place that we were born and raised." —Mitt Romney, speaking about his Michigan roots during a rally in Commerce, Michigan, Aug. 24, 2012

9. "I should tell my story. I'm also unemployed." —Mitt Romney, speaking in 2011 to unemployed people in Florida. Romney's net worth is over $200 million.

10. "I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in. That's the America I love." –Mitt Romney (January 2012)
    Lord help us should this guy become US President.

As MIT professor Simon Johnson points out: "If only Romney had turned popular disdain for subsidies against the global megabanks, he would now be coasting into the White House."

Mitt and the Moochers

http://www.project-syndicate.org/com...-simon-johnson

THE COST OF THE CRISIS CAUSED BY WALL STREET = NO LESS THAN $12.8 TRILLION DOLLARS:

http://bettermarkets.com/reform-news...illion-dollars

Senior Member Silver Poster

Bad week, Mitt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_m9y2wbrs4U1qjbb2vo1_400.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	506609  

World Class Asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Excellent post. In case you don't know it, the Iraq Body Count website is here, and your figures are close to the mark.
    http://www.iraqbodycount.org/
    And not only do we ignore the the cost of Iraqi lives, we ignore the money spent, so that no one had to sacrifice financially, or even think much about meaning of war. I had this revelation, when I found some old WW II, war ration books, while moving. The rationed things like coffee, and America's most abused drug, sugar. You had to think about the war, when ever you made a cake, had a cup of coffee, got gas, and other things. So the point that, the war rations book drove home, was that everyone had to sacrifice, everyone. Compare that to Iraq where we were told, to go shopping. The rich got tax cuts, the middle and lower class, got things like expanded child tax credits. The whole cost of the war was pushed down the road. And were still igonoring it, to this day, with the rich inronically, claiming that, 'they're under attack'. I see this ignorance of the cost of war, as a major cause of the spread of the spiritual disease of Greed. Someone in speech in the DNC used the word 'citizenship'. It is used rarely today, but when I was in elementary school, so long ago, there were classes, called citizenship.

Now today, we are told by, our corporate rulers, that the marketplace will solve all our needs, and that government should get out of the way. The ironic thing about that, is that many industries use that same government to protect them from competition. And at the same time, under the name of 'job development' our state and local governments, are using our taxpayer dollars to fund the building of business facilities, which are privately owned. Yes it helps to maintain jobs, but the bottom line adds profits to the investors. The business can also be given tax credits, which translates into the fact, that they can keep monies that their employees think are going to roads and schools. After giving 'blackmail' money to corporations, government think of ways to squeeze residents for money, such as charging for waste collection, that had previously been a free service, or by raising traffic penalties. It seems to me that both parties are doing this, but at least the Democrat's approach seems to be to balance some of it with programming for the middleclass and poor.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

An interesting and important post, Yoda. Rationing was still in place in the UK when I was born, although I personally have no experience of it. Nevertheless, we only ate meat twice a week in our house when I was growing up, whereas these days people expect to be able to to eat what once was an expensive food, every day. If there was a downside to rationing it was the exploitation of luxuries -sometimes even basics- by criminals, there has in recent years been some interesting history on the criminal underworld during the war in London.

But your point about the effective subsidies that your Federal government gives to businesses makes it difficult for Mitt Romeny to criticise Federal programs if he then only cherry picks the ones that he doesn't like. I wonder how many businesses in the US would go bust without federal contracts, tax breaks or support from their congressional representatives writing in commitments in those Bills that actually make it onto the statute book.

The cost of war, though, has always been a subject politicians ought to be held accountable for: can you put a cap on military costs if a politician then says you are placing limits on freedom and defence? Wars must be the most expensive modern activity I can think of that involves states -human cost, financial cost, environmental damage -it makes you wonder why anyone still chooses it as an option, or maybe its because there is always someone benefiting from it all, arms manufacturers in particular (rather in the way that the people who benefit most from domestic disputes are lawyers). Yet Romney's belligerent comments on Russia and Iran suggest he hasn't figured out how much wars cost. But then the cost of his campaign would have supported a few wars in years gone by, so no rationing there...! And where does all that money go?

Did I read somewhere this will be the first billion $ election in the US?

Senior Member Silver Poster

Wise old Yoda speaketh TRUTH, he does, too bad he's in with that goddam MAINSTREAM MEDIA!!!!!!!
    What happened this week is that maybe some of those 47%ers that are republican, maybe had a moment of clarity. Maybe they're figuring out that their Fearless Leader, Mitt Romney, considers THEM the THEM!!

World Class Asshole

Professional Poster BluegrassCat's Avatar

And as the Romney campaign demonstrates its incompetence fewer and fewer donors are willing to part with their money to back a loser. The once-dominant Romney fundraising apparatus is starting to sputter:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...738_story.html

And more polls out today from battleground states have Obama up in Virginia, Colorado, North Carolina and Ohio. If those numbers hold, this election is gonna be an electoral blowout.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-...287.html?hp=r2

Professional Poster BluegrassCat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by onmyknees View Post
    This is a real knee slapper. You fuckers got your heads so far up your asses you can see your tonsils. Here we have the worst American hate on display in the mid east in a generation. Terrorists scaling the walls. Obama's much touted mid east policy up in flames. A now confirmed terrorist attack on our consulate in Libya leaving 4 Americans dead, despite Susan Rice's and the Administrations lies. No Marines guarding our embassies on 9/11. A National Security failure. The IG's final report in on Fast and Furious ( and 14 will either resign or be will disciplined) Butch Napolitano's Homeland Security shop being run like a lez brothel (another resignation there) . The Egyptian president spitting in our eye and encouraging more demonstrations despite Barry's soft sell about the Muslim Brotherhood. Too busy to meet with Isreal's Prime Minister. Iran moving into Iraq. Another credit downgrade, Another Trillion in debt. Egyptian tanks moving in the Gaza. ,Horrible unemployment numbers. Dismal small bussiness hiring numbers. Barry being embarrassed into making a China speech by Romney. More money printing by the fed to prop up a miserable economy, Barry telling Alfred E. Letterman he doesn't know how much the deficit is, Gas topping 4 dollars a gallon, Barry not attenting a security briefing in months...............and after the funerals and a quick 5 minute speech...it's off to Vegas for a party...then back to NY for a talk show and gala event ...and this is all just this week. And you're talking about the Romney campaign ??????? That's just too rich ....Can you see why you're undeserving of even a small amount of respect? And despite how bad Romney's campaign is according to you all...he's in a virtual tie. Do you assholes ever read what you write?
    I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. Maybe you should seek professional help for your emotional problems.