Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned again for being a jizzmop, oh well! Gold Poster

Default One Large Leap For Mankind

I just caught the last half of Apollo 13 while clicking through the channels. Pretty good Hollywood movie, amazing moment in history and the crew dealt with unimaginable challenges. It's really an amazing story and those astronauts deserve the highest respect.

It got me thinking about what I had always considered the coolest moment in human history, from an individuals perspective.

Neil Armstrong setting foot on the moon.

It's hard to top that. Riding a fairly primative vehicle across space, landing on uncertain terrain, then exiting the vehicle and being the first human being to set foot on something that isn't the planet earth.

Increadible.

But then, for the first time, I thought. . .who cares? It was an amazing act of bravado and ingenuity, but nothing really practical or generally useful on a large scale has ever resulted from the fact that people set foot on the moon, as far as I know.

It was some sort of epiphany for me, I guess. Striving for success, for it's own sake, has always seemed silly to me. Obviously Neil Armstrong is still a kick ass muther fucker. . .

But. . .

When you really think about it, who cares about walking on the moon, beyond the fact that a handfull of people have done it? It's a barren rock. There's nothing there.

I think I'd much rather just enjoy my life and be happy. Whatever anyone else want's to do is fine by me, but if the option presented itself, I couldn't really think of any reason to go to the moon.

Actually, I'm just posting this to push the inevitable return of "bulges and filled underwear" back down another notch. Not that there's anything wrong with that thread. . .

got this from Wikipedia

The Apollo program stimulated many areas of technology. The flight computer design used in both the lunar and command modules was, along with the Minuteman Missile System, the driving force behind early research into integrated circuits. The fuel cell developed for this program was the first practical fuel cell. Computer controlled machining (CNC) was pioneered in fabricating Apollo structural components.

Many astronauts and cosmonauts have commented on the profound effects that seeing earth from space has had on them. One of the most important legacies of the Apollo program was the now-common, but not universal view of Earth as a fragile, small planet, captured in the photographs taken by the astronauts during the lunar missions. The most famous of these photographs, taken by the Apollo 17 astronauts, is "The Blue Marble." These photographs have also motivated many people toward environmentalism and space colonization

I think the best part of the whole program was how it brought the entire country together in such a positive way. We could use something like that today.

FK

I see your point, Felicia. I suppose a lot of good did come from the Apollo program and the whole NASA thing in general.

I'm just saying that accomplishing something like being the first guy on the moon use to be something I considered a cool objective (or something along those lines), and it just doesn't seem all that important to me anymore.

I'm just rolling things around in my head, thinking out loud.

Would anyone else reading this thread want to walk on the moon? It's an interesting question.

Default Re: One Large Leap For Mankind

Quote Originally Posted by hondarobot
    Increadible.

But. . .

When you really think about it, who cares about walking on the moon, beyond the fact that a handfull of people have done it? It's a barren rock. There's nothing there.

I think I'd much rather just enjoy my life and be happy. Whatever anyone else want's to do is fine by me, but if the option presented itself, I couldn't really think of any reason to go to the moon.

BECAUSE IT'S THERE! Felicia illustrates the details of why it was worthwhile. But in the general scheme of things, if we don't continue exploring the universe will just stay here bitching about each other and robbing from peter to pay paul.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

John F Kennedy made landing on the moon a national priority in his 1961 presidential inaugural speech during the height of the cold war hysteria.

The accomplishment was supposed to demonstrate America's superiorly to Russian Communism.

So 35 years later, what benefit did it serve?

You mean, besides integrated circuits (ie computers, cell phones, Ipods, Playstations and virtually every modern electronic device) fuel cells( which might be the methadone to our present fossil fuel addiction ) and precision computer controlled machining and manufacturing (cars, planes, homes, virtually every thing else we make better, faster and cheaper today) nothing much. Except the vindication and elevation of the human spirit. When humanity's reach exceeds its grasp like that, its hands are too busy to point fingers, pick pockets or form into fists.

FK

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia Katt
    You mean, besides integrated circuits (ie computers, cell phones, Ipods, Playstations and virtually every modern electronic device) fuel cells( which might be the methadone to our present fossil fuel addiction ) and precision computer controlled machining and manufacturing (cars, planes, homes, virtually every thing else we make better, faster and cheaper today) nothing much. Except the vindication and elevation of the human spirit. When humanity's reach exceeds its grasp like that, its hands are too busy to point fingers, pick pockets or form into fists.

FK

Once again Felicia, a thoughtful point of view, well said.

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia Katt
    got this from Wikipedia

The Apollo program stimulated many areas of technology. The flight computer design used in both the lunar and command modules was, along with the Minuteman Missile System, the driving force behind early research into integrated circuits. The fuel cell developed for this program was the first practical fuel cell. Computer controlled machining (CNC) was pioneered in fabricating Apollo structural components.

Many astronauts and cosmonauts have commented on the profound effects that seeing earth from space has had on them. One of the most important legacies of the Apollo program was the now-common, but not universal view of Earth as a fragile, small planet, captured in the photographs taken by the astronauts during the lunar missions. The most famous of these photographs, taken by the Apollo 17 astronauts, is "The Blue Marble." These photographs have also motivated many people toward environmentalism and space colonization

I think the best part of the whole program was how it brought the entire country together in such a positive way. We could use something like that today.

FK
    How about putting G.W. on the moon...forever.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Professional Poster

Being an astronomy nut myself, and the fact that I think life right now is pretty dull and mundane. I'll be the first guy to volunteer for going to Mars I'll have my rock climbing gear and videocameras when I head over to Cydonia.

www.enterprisemission.com Awesome site with alot of Mars stuff. Plus it looks at things not in the mainstream way of thinking.

Burninating the country side, burninating the peasants. Burninating all the people in their thatched roof cottages....THATCHED ROOF COTTAGES!!!!!

Actually, Neil Armstrong stepped onto a soundstage already on the moon. The Freemasons have had a secret hideout up there for centuries, and ordinarily use the stage for producing light hearted sit-coms for the enjoyment of the elder gods of Atlantis.

Don't you read history, mds? Sheesh.