Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Default If you were sexually abused and raped as child would you kill the person who did it?

http://www.change.org/petitions/gove...d-sexual-abuse

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is preparing to execute Terrance “Terry” Williams on October 3, 2012, in spite of staunch opposition to his execution from the victim’s widow, five jurors from trial, child advocates, former prosecutors and judges, faith leaders, mental health professionals, law professors and others.
    I urgently appeal to Governor Tom Corbett, the Pennsylvania Board of Pardons, and District Attorney Seth Williams to spare Terrance Williams’ life and allow him to be sentenced to life without parole.
    Throughout his childhood, Terry suffered prolonged violent physical and sexual abuse from older males. Born into poverty with a violently abusive mother and absent father, Terry faced abuse and neglect in his home that made him vulnerable to sexual predators. He was first raped by an older boy when he was only six years old, and he continued to suffer sexual abuse for the next twelve years. Like too many other victims of child sexual abuse, Terry received no counseling or support to help him deal with the repeated traumas he endured; in fact, some of the people who were supposed to help Terry preyed on him.
    As a teenager, Terry became acquainted with two middle-aged men who used their influence as a church leader and as a sports booster to get access to young boys. These men sexually abused and brutally exploited Terry. After years of suffering unimaginable horrors, when he was 17- and 18-years old, Terry killed these two men – and now faces death.
    Terry’s tragic history of abuse was never presented at trial. Because of this, several jurors who sentenced him to death now support commuting his sentence to life without parole. At the time of trial, Terry was traumatized and ashamed of the violence he suffered, and his lawyer did not investigate obvious signs of abuse. The jury thus did not hear any evidence about the relentless abuse Terry faced, nor did they know that the two men he killed were in fact his abusers.
    Jurors have stated that that if they had known all the facts about Terry's background and his abuse by the men he killed, they would not have voted for death.
    The widow of the man whose killing resulted in Terry’s death sentence has forgiven Terry and does not want him to be executed. She has found peace and closure and does not wish to see any more loss of life. The victim’s widow has expressed herhope that Governor Corbett, the Board of Pardons, and District Attorney Williams will show Terry mercy.
    In addition to the victim’s widow and jurors, there has been an unprecedented outpouring of support from prominent groups and individuals across Pennsylvania. Child advocates, former prosecutors and judges, faith leaders, mental health professionals, law professors and others have publicly supported commuting Terry’s sentence to life without parole.
    Terry is deeply remorseful for his actions and prays that the families of the men he killed can find peace.
    You can read more about Terry's case, including the numerous letters in support of clemency, here: www.TerryWilliamsClemency.com
    I join in asking Governor Corbett, the Board of Pardons, and District Attorney Williams to spare Terrance Williams’ life.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Default Re: If you were sexually abused and raped as child would you kill the person who did

A shocking story. Yes... on the face of the account presented his sentence should be commuted (but I am wholly against the death penalty anyway) and given the circumstances it seems to be to have been justifiable homicide.

Thanks for posting that.

Last edited by Prospero; 09-13-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Default Re: If you were sexually abused and raped as child would you kill the person who did

I was but I am not interested in spending time behind bars for revenge but I know my situation is not the same as others.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

I'm not sure he did anything wrong. I might not even incarcerate him. I would evaluate him thoroughly psychologically prior to any decision. I'd have to be aware and take into account the horror and sadism he experienced to make this decision. I guess he did technically break the law so there are legal consequences but there are other matters to consider that still would not warrant death.

The way the system works at least don't execute him.

If someone tortured me as a child I'd like to think I'd have enough strength and will remaining to get my revenge.

Freudian Slip Platinum Poster Wendy Summers's Avatar

Probably more real of a question for me than most who've responded so far.

I'd like to think that given the opportunity to directly face that bastard who abused and raped me, I'd still stick to my belief in calm, non-violent ways.

I do know it would be a major challenge to not harm the fucker.

I don't, however, think killing the ass would be in the cards if my zenness faltered. Death would be too quick and too easy for the fucker.

Rookie Poster

no, i don't think there is a situation where sexual acts even forced ones are reason enough to kill someone. that can't be right at all.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

The guy should serve a few years, maybe 4 or 5, and then set free. Certainly not his entire life behind bars. We should always take attenuating circumstances into account, but in this case, the circumstances are more than just “attenuating”. If they aren’t legitimizing the revenge, they obviously shed lights on the motive, if not even justifiying it, to a large extent. Law should be more supple, at times.

To answer the question in itself is not possible. Too many elements comes into play to judge something like that. It all depends on the nature of the act, I guess. But of course, before having someone to the brink of killing someone else, you should provide him/her with the help necessary to make peace with him/herself. That would be justice. And I’m not sure it would take such an ideal world to make something like that possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bishr View Post
    no, i don't think there is a situation where sexual acts even forced ones are reason enough to kill someone. that can't be right at all.
    Are you a parent?

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai View Post
    Are you a parent?
    no i am not, i don't know how i would feel if i was. i was replying based on your question which said:

if you were...

i know what i can handle even when i was a child, but i don't know about other children, it might really hurt them emotionally.

Quote Originally Posted by bishr View Post
    no i am not, i don't know how i would feel if i was. i was replying based on your question which said:

if you were...

i know what i can handle even when i was a child, but i don't know about other children, it might really hurt them emotionally.
    I think a lot of people might handle it themselves but if they found out it happened to their kids it would be different.