Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cloud Atlas

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Cloud Atlas

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Despite this little element you picked up on. Many artists plagiarise.
    For example?

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    For example?
    You're very harsh and unforgiving sometimes, Stavros!

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Snnnn

Last edited by Prospero; 02-16-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

As several of us noted already, the stories in Cloud Atlas are nested, as if the transition to a new story mirrored a modulation to a new key until the reader/listener is as far from the opening key as possible and the sequence of modulations reverses and the piece eventually resolves in the original key.

From story to story the characters change, yet something about them does not. Spoiler alert: one keeps expecting the some enlightened character will experience a mind shattering moment of deja vu, discover the immortality of her soul and her deep historical connections to those around her. It doesn’t happen. The relations between the stories remain tenuous hints at karmic connections that may or may not be real.

I don’t share Stavros’ feeling of pessimism. The idea of karma isn’t that one is doomed to relive the same mistakes over and over again, but rather that one reaps in the next life what was sown in the prior.

I recently read Bangkok 8 by John Burdett. It is a mystery set in district 8, peopled by transsexuals, prostitutes, sex vacationers, policemen and military agents. It was written before Cloud Atlas and has no pretense of literary significance. I read it after I read Cloud Atlas and was struck by how the characters “fate” was prefigured by their karma. The detective in Bangkok 8 believes himself to be especially attuned the karmic connections between people and allows those imagined/perceived connections to guide his investigations, much as a cop in western mysteries relies on his intuitions as well as his reason. I think readers of this forum who liked Cloud Atlas, might especially like Bangkok 8 for it depiction of the sex industry in Krung Thep.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    For example?
    Good question.
    A little music while we wait for a response:

Junior Poster

I really enjoyed the book.

I saw the film and my fears of disappointment were indeed met. Just didn't work for me, but I'm more of a book person.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fred41 View Post
    Good question.
    A little music while we wait for a response:
    Oh Joy...Now I've got that worming its way thru my head!

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Never mind, everyone. There's a new Bruce Willis Diehard movie out!

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    As several of us noted already, the stories in Cloud Atlas are nested, as if the transition to a new story mirrored a modulation to a new key until the reader/listener is as far from the opening key as possible and the sequence of modulations reverses and the piece eventually resolves in the original key.

From story to story the characters change, yet something about them does not. Spoiler alert: one keeps expecting the some enlightened character will experience a mind shattering moment of deja vu, discover the immortality of her soul and her deep historical connections to those around her. It doesn’t happen. The relations between the stories remain tenuous hints at karmic connections that may or may not be real.

I don’t share Stavros’ feeling of pessimism. The idea of karma isn’t that one is doomed to relive the same mistakes over and over again, but rather that one reaps in the next life what was sown in the prior.

I recently read Bangkok 8 by John Burdett. It is a mystery set in district 8, peopled by transsexuals, prostitutes, sex vacationers, policemen and military agents. It was written before Cloud Atlas and has no pretense of literary significance. I read it after I read Cloud Atlas and was struck by how the characters “fate” was prefigured by their karma. The detective in Bangkok 8 believes himself to be especially attuned the karmic connections between people and allows those imagined/perceived connections to guide his investigations, much as a cop in western mysteries relies on his intuitions as well as his reason. I think readers of this forum who liked Cloud Atlas, might especially like Bangkok 8 for it depiction of the sex industry in Krung Thep.
    Trish, I don't know what karma is, I will have to take your word on it, I did read about it when I was interested in eastern religions -I think I was 17 at the time- but concluded it was meaningless. I will also track down Bangkok 8 which sounds like it is a more enjoyable book than Cloud Atlas. Your appreciation of Cloud Atlas recognises its thematic links -to me these are merely functional links without depth, as the book has no depth -but that is my opinion. I should also say I am not criticising Mitchell's ability to write, but the uses to which he has put his ability in this book.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Trish, I don't know what karma is...
    Neither do I. At least it’s no clearer to me than the Judeo-Christain-Muslim notions of sin and heavenly reward which (I think) are rough analogs of karma. In the western religion (as I understand it) sin is the guilt we carry for the trespasses of Adam and Eve as well as for our own trespasses. Because we carry sin, we ask God to judge, punish, forgive or award us in this life and the next. In Buddism (again as I currently understand it) the universe is structured so that our actions and relationships are “remembered” from one life to the next so that our bad actions may come back to bite us in the ass in a future life and our good actions might reap rewards in future lives.

....I think I was 17 at the time- but concluded it was meaningless.
    In my estimation karma, sin and heavenly reward, though not meaningless, have no actual reference. (We all understand the meaning of “Batman is the black Knight guardian of City of Gotham,” but we also understand that “Batman” refers to no person in the actual world.)

I will also track down Bangkok 8
    Disclaimer: If you dislike Cloud Atlas because it lacked depth, you may not like Bangkok 8 either. It’s just a mystery novel. Sometimes I enjoy a light read. It’s just that having accidentally read Cloud Atlas and Bangkok 8 back to back I was struck by the general atmosphere created in both by the playing on the notion that characters can be influenced by actions taken in prior lives.

Last edited by trish; 02-17-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.