Default London Paralympics

The Paralympics in London are now into their second week and have been every bit as compelling and in many ways even moreso than the Olympics themselves. So many of the athletes have inspiring stories behind their success, overcoming disease, injury, war wounds and other adversities. Interest in the UK is very high, most events are sellouts, and it's being carried by one of the main networks, Channel 4.

I understand that NBC in the US are showing very limited highlights only. That's a real shame, because not only do the games provide exciting viewing, but they open a positive window on disability in general which can only benefit those directly affected and ultimately society in general.

Any thoughts?

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: London Paralympics

I watched a lot of the London Olympics when I thought I would not, but think this is overkill, how much can one take? On a positive note, I think that what is crucial is that people who have had horrific accidents, who have been born impaired in some way, or who have come back from service in the military without the legs arms and eyes they went with (and, sadly, more) have proven that there is no barrier to what can be achieved.

What I want to know is, given that most of these athletes are fitter than me, and have skills I will never have, is: what should we call them, if they must have a 'special' word, because 'disabled' now seems crass and useless a word. Paras?

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

I agree with Robert Louis. I've watched some events in the Paralympics and been just stunned and moved. Very encouraged by the huge numbers attending. One of the most moving stories was an Afghan athlete - missing a leg to a Soviet mine - who came as the sole representative of his nation. At home he drives a cab and on days when the weather is bad - snow or heavy rain - it can take him half an hour to climb the little slope from where he parks his car to his house. It's determination like this and on the track that I think is just remarkable.

And it is shameful that the Games are not being broadcast live on any use networks.

Yes disabled seems hardly appropriate as a label. ALL of them can do things I can't.

Maybe parathletes is the right word - in terms of both courage and achievement they've proved themselves to be the equal and in certain key respects the superiors of their fully-abled counterparts

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

UNICORN HUNTER Junior Poster Baileyluv's Avatar

not on any channels wtf

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar