Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast

Default Re: Make Sure You Have Valid Photo ID!

Quote Originally Posted by Erika1487 View Post
    Why is it soooooooo difficult to understand that Voter ID laws curb VOTER FRAUD! :
    What voter fraud? Voter fraud is one thing and one thing only - one person trying to vote as someone else. That's the only type of fraud that these new voter ID laws can curb. Guess what? It just doesn't happen. When Pennsylvania's new voter ID law went to court, the state admitted they had no evidence of voter fraud (they called it 'in-person' voter fraud) occurring in Pa or anywhere else. They didn't even claim that it would happen without ID laws.

Check out what the Brennan Center says about voter ID. http://www.brennancenter.org/content...egory/voter_id

Why won't CONs admit that these laws are only about suppressing the Dem vote?

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai View Post
    Models wouldn't do that would they?
    Nah, they are all 100% legit and would never neglect their photo IDs.....

Senior Member Platinum Poster

No photo ID in the UK is required when voting; I also suspect that we have more voter fraud in this country than in the USA, not sure if the two are related. But we have fewer restrictions on who can vote, and the debate right now is whether or not prisoners should be allowed to vote, as currently they are not.

Also not sure how this applies to transexuals who have been living for years as, say, Jane when their name on their polling card is, say, John. Might raise some eyebrows in the polling station...

Senior Member Veteran Poster SFTB's Avatar

Biggest bullshit argument/distraction in years.

Cut through the crap and let's all be honest. If there was a place giving away money, or food, or a free apartment, and all these "disenfranchised" huddled masses had to do to get it was show an ID, they would pull one out so fast it would make your head spin! Well, there is, food stamps, welfare and Section 8 housing. I don't see Prospero or anyone else picketing and griping that the masses are oppressed by having to show ID before partaking of these programs.

I just don't see tens of thousands living off the grid, no ID, nothing on them at all. I'm one of those peeps that just assumed you had to show an ID to vote at your designated polling station. You need an ID to cash a paycheck, buy beer, drive, all manner of other things, why wouldn't you need one to validate yourself to vote?

In 23 of the "58" states they have stop and identify laws. If you wander the streets without id you can be detained until your identity can be verified. The constitution's first basic requirement to vote is to be a US Citizen. How can enforcing that requirement be anything other than prudent? Unless it is your intent to encourage people who do not qualify to vote the opportunity.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Faldur, I think that it is considered a problem if the person being stopped on the streets is judged by their appearance -let is say, they have a 'latino' look about them: jeans, a hat, a moustache. Do people who look like me and you get stopped on a regular basis? We don't have photo id in the UK, we don't need to carry any ID, and the people who get stopped the most 'just happen' to be aged between 16-30 and are black in appearance. Is the UK open to fraud and illegal immigration? Of course it is! And every now and then a sweep of Chinatown in London will unearth say 50 illegal immigrants, if that. I don't know that photo ID which has come and gone as a policy option, makes any difference, we have famously over-worked and under-staffed border controls, so even though we are an island, it doesn't stop people trying to get in. But the thread is about voting, and as I said, I think we have more fraudulent voting in the UK than you do in the US.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by francisfkudrow View Post
    usually, i just respond to other people's threads, but there's something important that needs addressed.

If you live in florida, georgia, idaho, indiana, kansas, lousiana, michigan, pennsylvania, south dakota or tennessee and want to vote this year, make sure you have current valid photo id, as it is now required in these states. Make sure your friends and family have id as well.

this is especially critical if you live in one of these states that could go either way in this year's election. (let's face it, we already know how georgia, kansas and tennessee will be voting)

also, if you live in florida, make sure you are still registered to vote. They've been purging people from the rolls for political reasons.

pass it along.

(yes, this should probably go in the politics forum, but who actually goes there?)
    Quote Originally Posted by cuchulain View Post
    what voter fraud? Voter fraud is one thing and one thing only - one person trying to vote as someone else. That's the only type of fraud that these new voter id laws can curb. Guess what? It just doesn't happen. When pennsylvania's new voter id law went to court, the state admitted they had no evidence of voter fraud (they called it 'in-person' voter fraud) occurring in pa or anywhere else. They didn't even claim that it would happen without id laws.

Check out what the brennan center says about voter id. http://www.brennancenter.org/content...egory/voter_id

why won't cons admit that these laws are only about suppressing the dem vote?
    ~bump~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vote01.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	324.7 KB 
ID:	501592  

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by SFTB View Post
    Biggest bullshit argument/distraction in years.

Cut through the crap and let's all be honest. If there was a place giving away money, or food, or a free apartment, and all these "disenfranchised" huddled masses had to do to get it was show an ID, they would pull one out so fast it would make your head spin! Well, there is, food stamps, welfare and Section 8 housing. I don't see Prospero or anyone else picketing and griping that the masses are oppressed by having to show ID before partaking of these programs.

You need an ID to cash a paycheck, buy beer, drive, all manner of other things, why wouldn't you need one to validate yourself to vote?
    That is 100% correct. Federal assistance programs require photo IDs. The first thing a cop asks for when he/she pulls you over is your photo ID, and yet no outcry to protect the disenfranchised drivers. In many stores you have to show ID to purchase some video games. Once I was "carded" for buying some anti-virus software for crying out loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldur View Post
    In 23 of the "58" states they have stop and identify laws. If you wander the streets without id you can be detained until your identity can be verified. The constitution's first basic requirement to vote is to be a US Citizen. How can enforcing that requirement be anything other than prudent? Unless it is your intent to encourage people who do not qualify to vote the opportunity.
    Actually if a cop simply walks up to you and asks for your ID, your first response should be to ask him/her why. They need a real reason to ask for your ID. Many people believe that cops are the law and therefore obey any emand without question, surrendering their rights. A cop demanding to see the ID of any citizen, whom has not commited any crime, is a blatant violation of the Forth Ammendment (although Prospero would argue that we don't have that right). If the cops tell you that you have to comply, ask them to cite the statute and ordinance.

Last edited by loren; 09-05-2012 at 02:39 AM. Reason: I'm feeling a little better now. :-*
    Just because I'm telling you this story doesn't mean that I'm alive at the end of it.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Faldur View Post
    Sounds like the old sus laws!
    Land of the free, eh?

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Best thing I've ever read about ID Cards (photo or otherwise):
    http://www.seangabb.co.uk/pamphlet/idcards.htm

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!