View Poll Results: Which Do You Like Better?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hockey

26 56.52%
  • Soccer

20 43.48%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

Default Re: Hockey or Soccer

I chose hockey; faster-paced and more action.

HOWEVER...both the Kings AND the Galazy both won the championship...

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by onmyknees View Post
    Yes...The Broadway Blues for sure. Fuck the Devils...may they go the way of the Jersey Shore, but I give the Devil his due...they played well until the finals ! lol
    I was more happy than I pretended to my tenant. Just being a California prick to him acting like I didn't care.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

It's about class: 'soccer' is a working class sport, whereas hockey is/was one of the field games played by the upper classes at their expensive, fee-paying schools, same for both male and female players. In the school I went to in the UK I never saw a hockey stick or knew anything about it, and it was never on tv, it was just something posh kids played.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by onmyknees View Post
    With all due respect to those "football" lovers on the otherside....soccer bores most Americans to tears. It will never be widely popular here. ( I can hear the purists now telling us we don't understand the game)...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...
    Just for the lollz
    Meanwhile, the rest of the World, or, the other side, as North Americans like to call it, have no doubts that you do understand the game, you just don't have a 90 minute attention span.

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    It's about class: 'soccer' is a working class sport, whereas hockey is/was one of the field games played by the upper classes at their expensive, fee-paying schools, same for both male and female players. In the school I went to in the UK I never saw a hockey stick or knew anything about it, and it was never on tv, it was just something posh kids played.
    Have you been on the Ouzo again?
    I think they're talking about that girls game, Ice Hockey.

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Junior Poster Sulka_bewitched_me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Have you been on the Ouzo again?
    I think they're talking about that girls game, Ice Hockey.
    Yea put a football player (soccer for North Americans) in hockey equipment and on the ice & the minute a REAL hockey player skates by said footballer/soccer player and he feels a breeze the footballer/soccer player will be on the ice clutching a body part writhing in mock pain. Now put a hockey player in cleats and shin pads/guards on the "pitch" and see him get red carded & tossed out for being "too aggressive". Hockey players would "destroy" any footballer/soccer player. No footballer/soccer player has the physical endurance to match a hockey player's. The reason football/soccer is a "world" sport is because even the poorest of the poor can play it because the only equipment you need is something round that even remotely resembles a soccer ball to kick around. Now compare trying to put a roughly 22 cm (8.65 inches) in diameter for a regulation size 5 ball into an 8' high X 24' wide goal versus 1" thick X 3" diameter puck into 4' X 6' goal (while skating & with a hockey stick). It doesn't take a genius to figure out which sport requires more "skill". Pfffffffftttttttt.........Jericho.......get a fuckin' clue!

Last edited by Sulka_bewitched_me; 09-03-2012 at 07:11 AM.

Junior Poster Sulka_bewitched_me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Escalade View Post
    I chose hockey; faster-paced and more action.

HOWEVER...both the Kings AND the Galazy both won the championship...
    Willie.......you ALWAYS have the BEST avatars!

Gold Poster

I enjoy watching both sports but hey why compare like with like?

....soccer bores most Americans to tears. It will never be widely popular here.
    Most probably true because ...

...you just don't have a 90 minute attention span.
    ... or rather you don't have more than a few seconds of attention span enough to last a down ( the commercial advertising opportunity between game plays). I was once informed by an American colleague that compared to American Football '... in soccer the game doesn't flow because the ref's always blowing the whistle and they just kick the ball from end to end'. Duh?

American football is just a chance to stuff your face with corn dogs, burgers, southern-fried chicken bits, lizzards and gizzards and mega-maxxed up Coke whilst chit-chatting to your boyfriends. The game's totally incidental.

On to Hockey - like Comrade Stavros I was playing my school sports back in the days of the Cold War although I'm sorry to say I went to a non-fee paying school open to all where I did play Hockey and my ankles knew what a hockey stick felt like!

Let's face it Ice Hockey is an amalgam of a fast-paced skillful end-to-end demonstration of skating prowess and the sport of brawling which is positively encouraged for the Colisseum audience - just another evoloutionary step towards Rollerball.

.. apart from the sedentary dullard they park in front of the goal posts you don't see many hockey players staying on the ice for the duration do you? Unless substituted, red-carded or injured soccer players do it for the full 90+ minutes. No stamina those hockey boys... dry your eyes

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Results reflect the huge American bias here. How could anyone pick hockey over soccer. it defies any known law of logic.

And as for your version of football compared to soccer... its like comparing a thundering stampede by rhinos with a finely choreographed ballet.

Last edited by Prospero; 09-03-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by rodinuk View Post
    On to Hockey - like Comrade Stavros I was playing my school sports back in the days of the Cold War although I'm sorry to say I went to a non-fee paying school open to all where I did play Hockey and my ankles knew what a hockey stick felt like!
    Must have been a good school! Mind you the one I went to was paticularly bad, I recall one afternoon when my sole experience of sport was being shown how to throw the Javelin -once. I volunteered to run the mile with three other lads, and realised something was going wrong when they lapped me before I finished a circuit of the white lines marked out by tape on the grass. We played football in winter and cricket in summer and that was it. We had one set of wickets and bails, two cricket bats, a pair of wicket keeper's gloves, and one pad. After a few sessions of swimming at the public pool, I developed a double whammy of athletes foot and varoocas. My feet smelled like old cheese for years afterwards. They couldn't wait to get rid of us and most left at 15 for apprenticeships. I hung on for another grim year while ex-policemen from Colonial Rhodesia explained why we needed to support the Americans in Vietnam or took a sadistic delight in clipping the ears of the class Jew. The Revolution is over.

Just out of interest, this is field hockey that is under discussion? I always assume that 'Hockey' is the field game, otherwise Ice Hockey must always be called Ice Hockey. Whatever it is I know nothing about it, other than that Canadians are good at it. They must be good at something with all those forests, lakes and mountains.