Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Senior Member Junior Poster

Default Re: Another shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Yes, I do remember Tuscon. I remember the unarmed, wounded older woman who wrestled the weapon away from the shooter. I remember the armed bystander stepping outside, not having seen the action but heard the shooting and confusion. Confused himself, he nevertheless took aim at the brave lady with the gun and would've shot had he not been stopped by the unarmed citizens around him.
    Do you want to go down that road? You know... grasping for straws where unarmed people happen to overpower a shooter?

I'd be happy to play... because for each, I can/will show a case where a (legally) armed person took down an attacker.

Case in point... Utah (a place which I believe has laws against stabbing people (even in malls)) where a man (despite the laws saying he couldn't) decided to buy a knife (obviously we need knife control!) and stab a few people... before being stopped by a person legally carrying a gun.

The Batman shooter wasn't taken down by unarmed civilaisn (and being armed in a Regal cinima is against their policy.

The Fort Hood shooter wasn't taken down by unarmed persons, but by armed police.

The VT Tech shooting only ended when the shooter killed himself.

I could go on... but I think my point is made.

Rookie Poster

The two police officers had never before fired their weapons in the line of duty, a total of 15 years of service between them. Exactly what higher level of professionalism do you deem appropriate?
    Perhaps a level of "professional" proficiency that would not require them to shoot 9 people in order to strike one person 40' away from them. I can't believe anyone is defending the cops shooting all those people. I guess if the cops had been driving a car it would have been OK to run over those people if they had been standing on the sidewalk next to the shooter in order for them to run him down.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

The Batman shooter wasn't taken down by unarmed civilaisn (and being armed in a Regal cinima is against their policy.
    Can you imagine the carnage if the entire theater were armed and shooting in the dark at a man covered from head to toe in armor?

The VT Tech shooting only ended when the shooter killed himself.
    Can you imagine the carnage if the entire auditorium were armed with college age bravados shooting in the semi-dark?

The Fort Hood shooter wasn't taken down by unarmed persons, but by armed police.
    Show me were I claimed police shouldn't be armed.

You point remains unestablished.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

onmyknees Platinum Poster onmyknees's Avatar

Yes, I do remember Tuscon. I remember the unarmed, wounded older woman who wrestled the weapon away from the shooter. I remember the armed bystander stepping outside, not having seen the action but heard the shooting and confusion. Confused himself, he nevertheless took aim at the brave lady with the gun and would've shot had he not been stopped by the unarmed citizens around him.
    I was referring to what happened in the wake of the shooting on these boards, and the outrageous attempt to blame everyone except the sick fuck who pulled the trigger.

Look...it's almost as predictable as the changing of the seasons. A deranged individual gets his hands on a firearm, causes horrific carnage, then almost before the dead are buried, upper west side east coast wasps try to use the horror for a political agenda casting a wide net attempting to blame everyone they have a political grudge with. It's nearly as disgusting as the incident itself. To continue to use these incidents to further an agenda is a colossal waste of time and completely transparent. There isn't the political will and there won't be any time soon. One party won't, and one party won't dare.....so why go through these useless exercises unless the intent is to exploit the incident.....never letting a crisis go to waste ?

I'm not suggesting arming everyone....that's as insane and as impractical
    as disarming everyone.

Last edited by onmyknees; 08-26-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

OMK's posts are as full of insult and cheap innuendo as ever . As always, never examine the deeper issues so a real debate can take place. Pathetic.

The pro gun folk bend over backwards and will re-invent the wheel rather than admit that weapons in the hands of private citizens is a major cause of deaths and that their removal would reduce the number of deaths - from crime and from accidents like kids finding daddy's gun. That is is probably politically impossible is a tragedy.

Last edited by Prospero; 08-26-2012 at 05:27 PM.

I was referring to what happened in the wake of the shooting on these boards, and the outrageous attempt to blame everyone except the sick fuck who pulled the trigger.
    I'm referring to the incident where an armed citizen almost killed the wounded woman who bravely disarmed the murderer with her bare hands.

it's almost as predictable as the changing of the seasons. A deranged individual gets his hands on a firearm
    predictable and way to frequent. Proper regulation of firearms would reduce that frequency. You can buy firearms legally online without the hassle of background checks. Secret carry is legal in most states so no one can properly judge the risks around them. Because of these "useless" exercises (i.e. publicly examining critically the flaws and faults of our current gun policies) my State still does not allow secret carry. The exercise is therefore not quite so useless as you claim. If you actually thought otherwise you and the NRA wouldn't waste your time trying to divert the criticism.

(BTW shouldn't you be in Church right now learning what kind of weapon Jesus shoots in the big rifle range in the sky?)

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

No way will OMK be joining Jesus. He is nowhere near enough to any real Christian values for that. He'll be going down below where he belongs (if any of that stuff actually were true).

onmyknees Platinum Poster onmyknees's Avatar

I'm referring to the incident where an armed citizen almost killed the wounded woman who bravely disarmed the murderer with her bare hands.

predictable and way to frequent. Proper regulation of firearms would reduce that frequency. You can buy firearms legally online without the hassle of background checks. Secret carry is legal in most states so no one can properly judge the risks around them. Because of these "useless" exercises (i.e. publicly examining critically the flaws and faults of our current gun policies) my State still does not allow secret carry. The exercise is therefore not quite so useless as you claim. If you actually thought otherwise you and the NRA wouldn't waste your time trying to divert the criticism.

(BTW shouldn't you be in Church right now learning what kind of weapon Jesus shoots in the big rifle range in the sky?)

you're involved in self delusion and futility, but you seem to be most comfortable there, so by all means...hang out there for as long as you wish...if nothing else, you're entertaining.

"Proper" regulation...is that like what Chicago currently has? How come we don't see you or Gail Collins lamenting about the body count there? All the chronic hand wringing and hardly a word on Chicago. I guess you anti gun nuts chose your battles carefully...huh? And if you think tougher gum laws are going to happen in Albany anytime soon...please refer to the first sentence in this post.
    Ya know....I missed church today, but god will forgive under the circumstances. I have a note from Wayne Laperrier on NRA stationary.

Senior Member Platinum Poster giovanni_hotel's Avatar

Violent crime is at an alltime low in NYC and no one is allowed to carry a gun legally on the street except the PD. More legal carry guns DOES NOT equal less violent crime.

I appreciate the independent thinking on this issue, but also understand that there are those on the Right, specifically the NRA, who have a financial incentive to propagandize the utility of universal gun ownership.

And if you think tougher gum laws are going to happen...
    I never ever supported tougher gum laws and I seriously doubt Albany would ever approve them. They do have fluoride in their water though.

Last edited by trish; 08-27-2012 at 04:10 AM.