Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Professional Poster

Default A tiger can't change it's stripes

For the last 9 months I have honestly tried to look at poltics with an open heart and mind too hear out both sides of the isle.
    After listening to democrats and liberals in general, I have came to the decesion that I cannot support their ideas or ever cast a vote for one.....EVER
    I will go to the polls again this year (for the first time ever as Erika) and cast another straight ballot vote all republican. I do this knowing I do not support Romney, knowing that I am voting agianst my own personal intrest, knowing that I would rather vote for whats best for my town, county, state and COUNTRY.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: A tiger can't change it's stripes

Do what you gotta do.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Do what you gotta do.
    Trish we are old poltical war horses that are far too entrenched to change. The lines where drawn years ago, the diffrance for me this time around is I have a more healthy respect for democrats as people, rather than an enemy.

We'll I'm not willing to cop to the role of "old war horse" nor to the state of being entrenched. My mind is still quite agile and you're certainly younger and more agile than I. All we can do is think about the problems we face, the solutions that are within reach and vote accordingly.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Erika1487 View Post
    For the last 9 months I have honestly tried to look at poltics with an open heart and mind too hear out both sides of the isle.
    After listening to democrats and liberals in general, I have came to the decesion that I cannot support their ideas or ever cast a vote for one.....EVER
    I will go to the polls again this year (for the first time ever as Erika) and cast another straight ballot vote all republican. I do this knowing I do not support Romney, knowing that I am voting agianst my own personal intrest, knowing that I would rather vote for whats best for my town, county, state and COUNTRY.
    I think you should vote for your own interests.
    There's an interesting book by Thomas Frank called: What's the Matter with Kansas....
    Kansas used to be very left wing. But people now vote for the Republican Party. Why? Well, the Republicans focused and focus on issues like abortion, family values and gay marriage etc., etc. that attract the Christian vote, as it were.
    I mean, the Republican base is made up of nativists, religious fundamentalists etc., etc.
    So, Republicans have to appeal to them. They can't reveal their true policies -- which simply serve the super-rich -- because nobody would vote for them. So, they focus on issues, again, like gay marriage, abortion etc.
    Anyway, we NEED a second political party in America.
    The late author Gore Vidal pointed out -- correctly in my estimation -- that there is only one political party. The business party. And they're both right wing. Albeit the Republican faction of the business party is more extreme. And simply serve the super-rich. Whereas the so-called Democratic faction of the business party kinda/sorta represents the shrinking middle class.... Although they're moving in the same direction as the extreme-leaning faction of the business party. Which is, again, to simply serve the super-rich.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	040601.frank-300.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	497691  

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Erika1487 View Post
    From what I have read of your posts, I think you are a Conservative on economic policy, and a liberal on social policy. That is a genuine dilemma and it affects a lot of people in the US and also in Europe. You have to decide where the balance of your concern lies -some will put social policy before economic policy and vice versa. Although abstaining is an option, I feel for myself that participating in an election is a moral duty, even if, as I have done at least once, I have written a pertinent message on the ballot paper rather than mark my preference with an 'X'. I participated. The vote in the Presidential race is unlikely to matter, unless there is some major scandal involving Obama, Romney has no chance. Your vote is more likely to have an impact locally, but I don't know enough to speak on that.

On the evidence I have seen there is likely to be a decline in the turnout across the US, possibly among the first time voters in 2008 who are disillusioned with Obama, but will the 'natural' Republicans who feel alienated from Romney and the Tea Party fringe also not turn out to vote?

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    We'll I'm not willing to cop to the role of "old war horse" nor to the state of being entrenched. My mind is still quite agile and you're certainly younger and more agile than I. All we can do is think about the problems we face, the solutions that are within reach and vote accordingly.
    I am sorry Trish, I did not mean too offend. I am steeped in so much political dogma its hard for me to be 'agile' anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I think you should vote for your own interests.
    There's an interesting book by Thomas Frank called: What's the Matter with Kansas....
    Kansas used to be very left wing. But people now vote for the Republican Party. Why? Well, the Republicans focused and focus on issues like abortion, family values and gay marriage etc., etc. that attract the Christian vote, as it were.
    I mean, the Republican base is made up of nativists, religious fundamentalists etc., etc.
    So, Republicans have to appeal to them. They can't reveal their true policies -- which simply serve the super-rich -- because nobody would vote for them. So, they focus on issues, again, like gay marriage, abortion etc.
    Anyway, we NEED a second political party in America.
    The late author Gore Vidal pointed out -- correctly in my estimation -- that there is only one political party. The business party. And they're both right wing. Albeit the Republican faction of the business party is more extreme. And simply serve the super-rich. Whereas the so-called Democratic faction of the business party kinda/sorta represents the shrinking middle class.... Although they're moving in the same direction as the extreme-leaning faction of the business party. Which is, again, to simply serve the super-rich.
    Ben, I hear what your saying and as a trans person voting for anyone with an 'R' behind their name could be seen as 'not a good idea'. For a lack of reasoning or just being plain stubborn I am conservative despite knowing that my personal intrest ( lgbt, rights, and trans rights) could be harmed by doing so. I used to work for the GOP, and know full well the scope of unsavory tatics used to get folks to vote. Btw are you Derick Berry's agent? Boyfriend? You have some very alluring photo's of him

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    From what I have read of your posts, I think you are a Conservative on economic policy, and a liberal on social policy. That is a genuine dilemma and it affects a lot of people in the US and also in Europe. You have to decide where the balance of your concern lies -some will put social policy before economic policy and vice versa. Although abstaining is an option, I feel for myself that participating in an election is a moral duty, even if, as I have done at least once, I have written a pertinent message on the ballot paper rather than mark my preference with an 'X'. I participated. The vote in the Presidential race is unlikely to matter, unless there is some major scandal involving Obama, Romney has no chance. Your vote is more likely to have an impact locally, but I don't know enough to speak on that.

On the evidence I have seen there is likely to be a decline in the turnout across the US, possibly among the first time voters in 2008 who are disillusioned with Obama, but will the 'natural' Republicans who feel alienated from Romney and the Tea Party fringe also not turn out to vote?
    Well Stavros, count me in among the 'torn between social policy and economic intrest' I hate to say it, but I feel obligated to vote because of the econmomic down turn. Without an economy, social justice and lgbt rights and protection will fall by too wayside if we fall into an economic deppression. As far as voter turn out? I expect a big turn out for both parties this year.

I am conservative despite knowing that my personal intrest ( lgbt, rights, and trans rights) could be harmed by doing so. I
    but isn't the whole philosophy behind modern conservatism that if we all seek to satisfy our own self interests everything will modulate toward one happy equilibrium? (Not that I'm buying it; I tend to think we have to have each other's backs_which is a different philosophy.)