Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Doesn't it seem like this whole cure for AIDS thing should have been a bigger deal?

http://www.webmd.com/hiv-aids/news/2...ews-conference

I spoke to a bunch of people who had never even seen this story, which is crazy I think. I grew up in the early 90's, and I remember them telling us in like 4th grade to use condoms cause we were all so petrified of Aids.

Junior Poster

Default Re: Doesn't it seem like this whole cure for AIDS thing should have been a bigger dea

I think the circumstances of this guys case are pretty unique. It would be irresponsible for anyone to go around say they have the cure for AIDS based on this outcome.

GOD Emperor of Mankind Platinum Poster LibertyHarkness's Avatar

Default Re: Doesn't it seem like this whole cure for AIDS thing should have been a bigger dea

Money .... all the time their vast amounts of money for the pharms to make from treatments you wont see a cure/vaccination etc for a long time ...

Liberty Harkness
    "English Transsexual Model - Entertainer - Photographer "
    Twitter

Official Website

Tumblr
    My Webcam

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyHarkness View Post
    Money .... all the time their vast amounts of money for the pharms to make from treatments you wont see a cure/vaccination etc for a long time ...

There speaks a cynic. But I think she is right.

Bald Headed Old Fart Professional Poster BigDF's Avatar

Thumbs down Re: Doesn't it seem like this whole cure for AIDS thing should have been a bigger dea

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    I know she is right, at least here in the US. If Big Pharm can't make money on it, then no cure. Also in the US there is little tolerance for saving victims of a disease that most associate with homosexuality.

I want to make you gasp and sigh!

Live to Love, Love to Live

http://brittanystjordan.com/

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    I don’t. As much as I respect your opinion, Prospero, and as much as I love Libby, in body and wit, I think they will find a vaccine (not a cure), they will circumscribe the disease and eradicate it. Yes, it will cost a lot of dough and we will be the ones to pay, but they will make much more money by making everybody pay, which is what they will do by instituting state programs when they get the vaccine. It won’t be the first time modern medicine eradicate a wide spread disease, and it won’t be the last. Let’s not give in this actual tendency to mistrust medicine and research: it’s still the best warrant of our well being, whatever way we possibly can look at it.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

GOD Emperor of Mankind Platinum Poster LibertyHarkness's Avatar

nahhh they make millions from retrovial treatments ...once your viral load is undectable you will live a normal life basically and they also claim people are living into old age with it ...

i think the vacines will come over a staggered approach .. or perhaps they will price the vaccine at an extremely high cost as an opt in ....

who knows .. personally all governments are init for money ..having sick people makes money , lots of money ...

Liberty Harkness
    "English Transsexual Model - Entertainer - Photographer "
    Twitter

Official Website

Tumblr
    My Webcam

Senior Member Platinum Poster

We do have the feeling that researches have slowed, ever since they’ve found the right formula for people to live on. But in most western countries, it’s the State that ultimately pays for such medication. I don’t know how long it will last until they pressure themselves the pharmaceuticals to get rid of the problem. Besides, everywhere the medical bill is becoming overwhelming. Will they tolerate such a thing for much longer?
    Then again, how much influence can they exert? I don’t know: maybe you’re right, Liberty…
    Or maybe they will wait for the arrival of the next, great epidemic.

hence generics.....?

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyHarkness View Post
    nahhh they make millions from retrovial treatments ...once your viral load is undectable you will live a normal life basically and they also claim people are living into old age with it ...

i think the vacines will come over a staggered approach .. or perhaps they will price the vaccine at an extremely high cost as an opt in ....

who knows .. personally all governments are init for money ..having sick people makes money , lots of money ...

on behalf of the physiologists, HIV is a tricky virus. But i can assure that there are many very active research programs looking for a cure. I know that "Big Pharma" does a lot of things that earn the public's ire but it is silly to say that they, as an industry, ignore "cures" in favour of "treatments".

Think about the millions of people with HIV, think about the fact that no one will pay for "treatment" when a "cure" becomes available. These pharma companies compete ferociously and the one who can patent cure will tear a huge hole in all the others.

As to the case cited, Aprilian is correct. We have seen a bunch of unique individuals who have fought off the infection and they have proven a very fertile source of research ideas. However, the "cure" is not here yet and may not be for 5, 10 or 20 years. Biol research is a tough bitch, but we are making important discoveries and personally i'd bet on 10 rather than 20 years.