Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member 5 Star Poster

Default Motorcycle riders- advice requested

Guys, my only time on a bike was on dirt when I was a kid- I'm getting my street license now and I'm going to get a bike- used, between 400 and 600 cc, something light, reliable, manageable and (hopefully) not too expensive.

Any suggestions? I was looking at an old Honda Rebel, and a buddy wants to sell me his mid 80s Maxim 550.

I dig chrome and metal- probably wouldn't go plastic body unless there was a really compelling argument for it-

Any thoughts from the more experienced?

Senior Member Junior Poster

Default Re: Motorcycle riders- advice requested

0. Take the MSF Beginning Rider Course. It's the one thing you can do that'll help you stay alive out there. Plus, in many states passing the class will count as passing your road test.

1. Budget for good gear. Dress for the crash, not the ride. Plan to spend at least as much on decent protective gear (Snell-approved helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves) as on your first bike. Stuff's expensive.

2. The bikes you listed...I understand the temptation to buy an older bike so you're not broken hearted when the inevitable drop happens, but any bike that old, you're going to have trouble finding parts. Also, there is stuff on that bike that is going to be in dodgy condition because of the bike's age regardless of how low-mileage it is, and that stuff will require attention, and wouldn't you rather spend your time riding? I'd pick something used, but less than ten years old. There are plenty of metric cruisers in the 500-750cc class that make reasonable bikes for a first-time rider.

Those outside the U.S. might be aghast at the choice of such "large" mounts for a first-time rider, but unfortunately, the sort of sub-400cc "learner" bikes that are common in the rest of the world just aren't sold here. That's an entire other rant unto itself, though.

onmyknees Platinum Poster onmyknees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MdR Dave View Post
    Guys, my only time on a bike was on dirt when I was a kid- I'm getting my street license now and I'm going to get a bike- used, between 400 and 600 cc, something light, reliable, manageable and (hopefully) not too expensive.

Any suggestions? I was looking at an old Honda Rebel, and a buddy wants to sell me his mid 80s Maxim 550.

I dig chrome and metal- probably wouldn't go plastic body unless there was a really compelling argument for it-

Any thoughts from the more experienced?

If I see you in my way on a Honda Rebel, I'll damage your ear drums as I blow past you. lol...But fuck guys like me.....ride what you like, and what you can afford.

But seriously....I ride with this chic in Daytona who has a Honda Rebel. She loves it...cheap to keep, low maintenence, and reasonably priced. You can't go wrong. No rice rockets please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	West Coast Chopper2.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	487696  

Last edited by onmyknees; 07-26-2012 at 04:21 AM.

Hey! Get off my lawn. 5 Star Poster Odelay's Avatar

Bought and rode a 1982 750cc Yamaha Maxim, back in the 80's. Was a great bike for me back then but I was at my peak strength in my 20's, so it didn't feel too heavy to handle. Rode dirt bikes in my teens. I quit riding and got salvage value for the Maxim after a scary accident on the freeway where I was lucky not to get hurt. Helmet, jeans, leather jacket and boots saved me.

After a 20 yr hiatus, I just bought a 1983 550cc Honda Nighthawk in April. I'm loving the feeling of being back on the road. A girl sold it to me for $1,000 with only 12k miles on it. A few dings, but I had it checked at a shop and it's running fine.

My advice might be different but I recommend a used, affordable bike. At my age, the 550cc is a nice weight. Not so light that you get blown across the road from a side gust of wind, but heavy enough that I can pick it up if for some reason it dropped on its side. If you buy a used classic look Japanese bike from the 80's, it's not going to lose any value over 1 or 2 years. You'll be able to unload it for essentially the same price because the bikes are still popular. People still want 'em. I was the first to call the girl from Craigslist ad and she had 7 calls right after mine.

Resale is important because if riding doesn't feel right to you, then you're not really out any big money.

As a previous poster wrote, try a riding class. You really need to ease into it. Even though I'd ridden big bikes before, it took about a month of riding before I truly regained my confidence. For me, riding is all about confidence.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll pick something that's right for you.

Get a full face helmet. If/when you do lose traction/slide out, it protects you from having facial reconstruction surgery. Same for leathers, trousers, jacket, gloves, boots. Better to be hot than have massive skin grafts. Take an approved and long standing motorcycle training course. Get a decent rainsuit, nothing more miserable than being caught in a downpour when doing 65mph..

As for the bike, 4 cylinders is a smoother ride. I prefer Kawi's, excellent transmission,

Yep, protect your head no matter how hot or uncomfortable a helmet might be.

If a head injury doesn't kill you, imagine life with brain damage.

Let me be a good example... I cracked my head open riding a damn bicycle in 2002 and it still bothers me!

Also, keep your eyes moving, act as if everyone in a car is out to kill you, especially those text/driver asshats.

-=Steve-Oh=-
    You can't buy happiness but you can POUR it! - Dean Martin

Senior Member 5 Star Poster

Thanks for the advice so far- I can't help but notice most comments are about safety rather than bikes. Probably a good reason for that, huh? Point taken.

I am taking a certification course, and then probably an advanced course as well- asphalt, concrete and oil slicked roads (no rain in LA makes the surface nasty pretty much constantly) are much different than rocks and limbs on a mountain trail.

And I do plan on wearing a helmet- I'm not gonna go all Gary Busey!

COVER yer damn JOINTS up and make sure you always no matter how hot or cold wear your gear, be careful in the end you gotta be aware of ur surrounding.
    I personally had a
    Scorpion Exo 1000 helmet
    Icon Timax 2 Red jacket
    Dianese body armor under.
    Scorpion Black top & Klaw gloves
    Joe Rocket gauntlets
    High top Nikes to cover the ankle. some people like boots.
    knee protectors are koo but can be annoying.

Living your dream! Just call me your superhero! JIX
    1/3 of the Legendary Trifecta called O ED & the Jizzzyyy...
    PeekyMcWatchmeFUCK!
    OEJTM-#DEGENERATES
    HBSF-FETC

Senior Member Junior Poster eccentricBlue's Avatar

What do you prefer? Sport bikes, Harley's or cruisers? I've owned and rode many bikes, so I would suggest to first decide what you like. You should be able to find a low mileage, used but relatively new bike for a fair price (ESP in this market).

For sport bikes, I would say start with a 600. Theres plenty of power that will keep you happy for about a year while you get your feet wet. Anything lower than 600 is a waste IMO, but get what makes you comfortable.

For Harley's, the basic model (but still pretty fun) is the sportster. Dyna's are a modest step up and you get that more classic Harley look. I've owned a softail and currently have a v-rod.

As for Hondas, yamahas, indians and the others, I would just suggest taking your time and test riding as many as possible to know what you are most comfortable with for a first bike.

Glad to read you're taking safety courses. I can't recommend them strongly enough. As for a bike, if you like steel and chrome, you will almost certainly want a cruiser. Definitely go with a 750cc bike or better. A 750cc bike is probably best to start with as it will give you the best combination of power, economical gas consumption, ease of handling, and cost savings. My baby:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fun Incarnate.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	487791  

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.