Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Gold Poster

Default Re: London Olympics 2012

I was pleased with my free flag when I saw the torch but not so pleased to see that the other side was not a Union Jack but a Samsung logo.

Gold Poster

....and so it begins........

Gold Poster

Enjoyed the Opening Ceremony, quite long wasn't it!

Regulator Professional Poster JenniferParisHusband's Avatar

There was an awful lot of walking and standing around in the opening ceremony presentation. Thank God for Mr. Bean.

Jus wookin puh nub.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I made the trip to the Olympic Park yesterday -no problems. Arrived in Marylebone, walked to Baker Street, got on the Jubilee Line at 2pm, arrived Stratford station at 2.40. Was not allowed into the park but got a view of it from the Souvenir shop in John Lewis. The Westfield Shopping Centre is grotesque -now that I know, I shall avoid it for as many years are left to me.

As for the ceremony, I thought it was themed perfectly but that sometimes the execution looked a bit amateurish -seen in close up there were too many extras sort of dancing, like Pan's People. But the industrial revolution sequence leading to the forging of the Rings was a brilliant idea and brilliantly done, with the final lighting of the flame an inspired moment. However, the announcers messed up the relay of the flame from Redgrave to the next generation of sporting hopefuls, not identifying them in seqeunce as they ran round the track; they were then stood in front of their mentors and other British Olympians who looked to me to be standing in darkness instead of light where people could identify who they were. I can't say much about the music, but somehow I think Mr Bean upstaged Mr Macca...

Small point, but if that is a gas flare, doesn't that make the Olympic flame environmentally damaging?

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

From Nimrod to Macca...I finally have to admit it was marvellous and clever, if short of flawlessly brilliant, spectacle. The parade of beautiful young athletes was inspiring - especially to see that every nation, including Saudi Arabia, finally included women in their teams.

party animal Rookie Poster

Have to admit I loved it the start and finish were spectacular and I loved the idea of passing the torch on to the next generation as they put it. Woke up this morning feeling like it had been new years eve.

TS lover for life

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    From Nimrod to Macca...I finally have to admit it was marvellous and clever, if short of flawlessly brilliant, spectacle. The parade of beautiful young athletes was inspiring - especially to see that every nation, including Saudi Arabia, finally included women in their teams.
    Prospero, as someone with experience of production, is the ceremony too long? Is there a need to try and put 'everthing' in which relates to London/UK and is it even a good idea? Given how long it takes for all the athletes to parade, should it be shorter or start earlier? Presumably there was a storyboard for this early on and I assume it got changed a lot.

too long imo. I was flipping back and forth and ended up watching about 40%. Sir Paul was great, as always and I enjoyed the parade of nations. Still get goose bumps when I see Ali.
    always amazes me how many countries I've never heard of.
    missed Her Majestry's bit with James Bond. why didn't they get Sean Connery to do it.

Some parts of the production seemed uneven (could have been a by product of me being slightly stoned ),but I think these things always are...overall I enjoyed it though.
    ...and I loved this version of the Olympic cauldron...spectacular!

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    The parade of beautiful young athletes was inspiring - especially to see that every nation, including Saudi Arabia, finally included women in their teams.
    Yup...there's always incredible stories behind some of the individuals performing in the Olympics....often a feat just to be included...

...Oh, and let's not forget the fact that some of these athletes are gorgeous to look at..

Enjoy the games everyone...I know I will.