26 27.08%
  • Clint Eastwood

70 72.92%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Default Re: John Wayne vs Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai View Post
    Or this

I'd rather sit thru either of those than...

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Clint Eastwood is a better actor and he was trying to be a more developed actor than John Wayne as well.

Wayne created an archetype of an American Hero for the 20th century. He knew it was an act but it is one he took seriously, heck his characters had more integrity than the real man ever did. He was a man of his time (maybe a bit behind it) but his movies stand for something, the type of people we wished that we were.

Clint Eastwood, is 25 years younger and from a totally different American generation and aspired to make far more down to earth movies. His characters are distant, cynical and opportunistic.

Clint!!!

The Good

The Bad

and

The Ugly!!!

Professional Poster lifeisfiction's Avatar

Clint Eastwood for me in the Good, Bad and Ugly series protrayed the cowboy. For it was the west, heroes were never afriad of getting dirty or unsavory, while villians had charm and grace. Actors like Yul Brynner, Robert Vaughn, Eli Wallach Terence Hill, and others represented what the west was. Their characters complex, but human. John Wayne was caricature of a cowboy, a type of person that never felt more than a cliche.

If you think about real Cowboys like Doc Holiday or Jessie James, they were in fact similar to Clint Eastwood and far from John Wayne.

Then again some has to be attritubed to the roles that were given at the time and John Wayne worked with American directors, while the Italian directors and studios had better plots and casting (like Clint Eastwood).

If outside the realm of westerns, Just look at whoses movies sells more and is remembered. Clinton Eastwood career while more recent, still created more iconic roles. It was at the time where hollywood would allow directors and actors to develop more of themselves.

John Wayne was coming out of the era where the League of Defamation ruled and cookie cutter movies were pushed [check out Gilligan's Island belly button on screen rule]. I think if he was given the opportunity to play a more modern actor he would have faired better, but not more than Clinton Eastwood.

(Did I really just write all of that?)

Vasto Lorde Gold Poster Quiet Reflections's Avatar

Clint

Harry Callahan was the American version of James Bond. He killed bad guys without reading them their rights and we all loved him for it. (even us liberals from New York) An iconic character for the ages.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisfiction View Post
    Clint Eastwood for me in the Good, Bad and Ugly series protrayed the cowboy. For it was the west, heroes were never afriad of getting dirty or unsavory, while villians had charm and grace. Actors like Yul Brynner, Robert Vaughn, Eli Wallach Terence Hill, and others represented what the west was. Their characters complex, but human. John Wayne was caricature of a cowboy, a type of person that never felt more than a cliche.

If you think about real Cowboys like Doc Holiday or Jessie James, they were in fact similar to Clint Eastwood and far from John Wayne.

Then again some has to be attritubed to the roles that were given at the time and John Wayne worked with American directors, while the Italian directors and studios had better plots and casting (like Clint Eastwood).

If outside the realm of westerns, Just look at whoses movies sells more and is remembered. Clinton Eastwood career while more recent, still created more iconic roles. It was at the time where hollywood would allow directors and actors to develop more of themselves.

John Wayne was coming out of the era where the League of Defamation ruled and cookie cutter movies were pushed [check out Gilligan's Island belly button on screen rule]. I think if he was given the opportunity to play a more modern actor he would have faired better, but not more than Clinton Eastwood.

(Did I really just write all of that?)
    Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    Harry Callahan was the American version of James Bond. He killed bad guys without reading them their rights and we all loved him for it. (even us liberals from New York) An iconic character for the ages.
    You must love Paul Kersey.

nah. Kersey was a punk... no badge

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    nah. Kersey was a punk... no badge
    Don't you dare! He didn't need no stinking badge! He had a Wildey Automag .44!

LOL. but seriously that movie made NYPD look like clowns so I never liked it