Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Junior Poster

Default Re: Anyone seen PROMETHEUS?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I have to agree with Aliens being a great sequel. The 3rd movie was damn awful though. As for Prometheus, I'v read the real screenplay and will almost certainly see it opening night.

On a side note, what gives with our fellows across the pond getting to see it first? There's clearly been a distrubance to the natural order of things.

-Quinn
    That is the natural order of things. Great Britain first then you Colonials as an afterthought.

It's not hurting anyone,so what's your problem?

Professional Poster lifeisfiction's Avatar

Ridley Scott is British. Its the only reason it would open in Britian first. If you're a great British actor, you will come to the US, they all come to the us. Its only a matter of time, muhahahahaha.

Bella Doll Platinum Poster BellaBellucci's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sucka4chix View Post
    Ha ha. You softie! It was kinda touching. Caught me by surprise.
    Umm, hi. I'm a girl!

And a mom no less.

~BB~

LOVER OF BIG ASS Platinum Poster youngblood61's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fastingforlife View Post
    I stand corrected, Godfather II as new peer...thanks for slapping back to my senses.
    Just a wake up call lol.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I went to see the 3D version last night; it looks spectacular although I think that 3D technology adds little more than 30% of the quality of the film. In the first Alien, the spacecraft was called Nostomo, a reference to the novel by Conrad without explaining why; in this film the robot character David models himself on Lawrence of Arabia, again without explanation. Prometheus gave fire to the humans and was punished by the Gods, and 'The New Prometheus' is the sub-title of Mary Shelley's novel Frankenstein. This Scott film is a gloomy attempt to depict human beings as fundamentally self-destructive, while adding in the mind-numbing stupidity of Erich van Daneken's Chariots of the Gods even though the main character -an archaeologist/anthropologist wears a crucifix and evidently thinks Darwin and evolution is of no importance in understanding where people come from -a view that would make the film pointless. None of the characters in the film except David has any charisma or real purpose, just the usual stereotypes of scientists and real men who drink and drive.

Prometheus in the Greek context is part of the hugely important narrative in which human beings take control of their lives away from the Gods, the story of Philoctetes is another. Prometheus should thus be about the denial of Gods as architects of human society, but just as with Shelley, whoever they are and on whatever planet they come from, create humans and you find that killing is what they do best; apparently this is also what happens when you create Aliens; but I suspect this film has a sub-text and was surprised the Alien didn't shriek Allahu Akbar when bursting forth from various stomachs. Loving it seems, is of no importance. A confused film, without a cat. And the music is repetitive, shaped by cliche's and a nuisance. 4/10.

Last edited by Stavros; 06-05-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by fastingforlife View Post
    I stand corrected, Godfather II as new peer...thanks for slapping back to my senses.
    But all the Godfather films are almost unwatchable twaddle. I think they are beautifully made, shot and acted but storywise it's just absolutely painful to watch for mine.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Just saw it and liked it a lot. The mood is more Alien than Aliens which would be right since Ridley Scott directed the original Alien and Prometheus.

Can't wait for the Bluray to come out as this movie is worth a second watch.

Big fan of all the Alien Films and I liked AVP Requiem but AVP the first one not as much. Also AVP REquiem has an appearance from Mrs. Yutani at the end of the movie who will soon merge her company with Weyland.

I don't know how this movie will do since it's not all crash bang boom like the Avengers but anyone who likes the Alien films will like this one.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I have to agree with Aliens being a great sequel. The 3rd movie was damn awful though. As for Prometheus, I'v read the real screenplay and will almost certainly see it opening night.

On a side note, what gives with our fellows across the pond getting to see it first? There's clearly been a distrubance to the natural order of things.

-Quinn
    The extended Aliens 3 was a much improvement over the theatrical cut, although the theatrical ending was better. Fincher turned a blind eye to this cut but did not try and stop it or publically disown it. The extended tried to restore and recreate Fincher's original vision of 3.

Senior Member Veteran Poster RadiusDark's Avatar

I walked out about an hour in. Had too much to do and the movie didn't seem to be getting any better.

Prometheus was a pretty big letdown. A couple of cool shout outs to the previous films ("David, WE ARE LEAVING!!) but other than that a snooze, didn't live up to the hype.
    And I teared up at the end of MIB3, too.