Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior Poster

Default John Travolta- Male Double Standard

Most of the folks on this board have probably heard about John Travolta and his interest in gay sex with all the allegations that are being thrown at him. This got me thinking about why a male actor in Hollywood has to keep his sexuality a secret whereas many female actresses brag about being bisexual or having had lesbian sexual experiences. Why does society accept female homosexuality while attacking male homosexuality?

I ask the above question because I often hear transsexual women complain on this board that they cannot find a male who will be in a relationship with them. Many transsexual women do not seem to understand that if a man publicly states that he is in a relationship with a transsexual, he will lose many of his friends and family members because society believes that men should not be able to explore their sexuality like women. I remember reading about a man in the UK who married a transsexual women from Malaysia. After his marriage, he lost his job at a school because people were uncomfortable with the fact that he was with a transsexual. Being with a transsexual is not an easy choice for most men because of society's intolerance. I hope more transsexual women will cut some slack for us men.

I wish someone like John Travolta could just admit to society that he is gay or bisexual without society trying to harass him. Women are not harassed for their sexuality but unfortunately, men are.

bannedforlife Junior Poster

Default Re: John Travolta- Male Double Standard

Rather than telling his most intimate secrets to every masseuse and pool boy he meets, why doesn't he just write a book and make a mint?

Society is designed in favor of straight men, who are a lot less intimidated by lesbian and bisexual women than by tran-attracted but straight or gay, bisexual, pansexual and queer men.

Last edited by Jackal; 05-28-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    Society is designed in favor of straight men, who are a lot less intimidated by lesbian and bisexual women than by tran-attracted but straight or gay, bisexual, pansexual and queer men.
    Not so much "in favour of" as designed by straight men. I can to a certain extent understand the perceived but illusory threat straight men might feel from gay or bisexual men, but surely they should feel no threat from trans-attracted men?

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    Not so much "in favour of" as designed by straight men. I can to a certain extent understand the perceived but illusory threat straight men might feel from gay or bisexual men, but surely they should feel no threat from trans-attracted men?
    I should have said designed by and in favor of straight men, but
    I've known straight guys who have denigrated other straight guys who are trans-attracted; many straight guys are transphobic and only view "csigender women as real women."

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    I should have said designed by and in favor of straight men, but
    I've known straight guys who have denigrated other straight guys who are trans-attracted; many straight guys are transphobic and only view "csigender women as real women."
    I'm aware that straight guys denigrate those who are trans-attracted, but why? There's no threat there.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    but why? There's no threat there.
    "Us" vs "them/him".

Empowering themselves by denigrating others.

Build a man a fire, he's warm for a day.
    Light a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.

Senior Member Platinum Poster giovanni_hotel's Avatar

Travolta is catching hell because he's MARRIED and cheating on his wife.
    If he were just in the closet like Kevin Spacey or Tom Selleck, there wouldn't be such an uproar.
    It's only recently, probably the last 10 years, that the public and Hollywood has been tolerant of a known gay male or female actor. Most of the time it's a career killer, or at least it used to be.

Personally I prefer NOT knowing who an actor's sleeping with because if I know an actor is gay in his private life, it's hard to believe his character is romantically interested in a female co-star on screen.

To maintain the illusion it's best for all parties involved not to know all the specific details of an actor's private life.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by giovanni_hotel View Post
    Travolta is catching hell because he's MARRIED and cheating on his wife.
    If he were just in the closet like Kevin Spacey or Tom Selleck, there wouldn't be such an uproar.
    It's only recently, probably the last 10 years, that the public and Hollywood has been tolerant of a known gay male or female actor. Most of the time it's a career killer, or at least it used to be.

Personally I prefer NOT knowing who an actor's sleeping with because if I know an actor is gay in his private life, it's hard to believe his character is romantically interested in a female co-star on screen.

To maintain the illusion it's best for all parties involved not to know all the specific details of an actor's private life.
    Actors and actresses are always pretending to be romantically interested in each other in their films. Their real life sexuality would actually have no impact on their acting in a film, after all, films are make believe.

Junior Poster

I know that Travolta is cheating on his wife, but perhaps, he prefers being with men. Because of pressure from society, he may have married his wife to look "straight" like a lot of gay men have done in the past.