Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran Poster

Im pretty sure I heard some Supreme court justice say that "abortion is not a constitutional right". Therfore the states should rule seperately. Thus the SD ruling. Why not let the states decide????

you heard wrong kramer.
    roe vs wade took the states out of the picture. It established the the constitutional right of a woman in the USA to abort her pregnancy. South Dakota, Mississsippi, or any other vermin infested white racist state cannot interfere with this civil right. Unless Bush can get enough Christian fanatic reactionaries on the Supreme Court before he's out of office to overturn this basic civil right.

The same way Brown vs Board of Ed made separate but equal schools effectively UNEQUAL in 1954. I'm sure South Dakota would prefer their black kids to go to separate schools, but they would be breaking federal law and the Governor would be subject to arresst.

Veteran Poster

It must have been one of the judges that wants it reversed. Im sure I heard it though.

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer
    It must have been one of the judges that wants it reversed. Im sure I heard it though.
    Yes, I'm sure that rush the junkie, oreilly, etc. gleefully reported that to you and your ilk..and if that bunch ever had their way, log cabin repug sycophants like yourself would no doubt be burned at the stake, you hypocrite...

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Veteran Poster

Fuck you you cunt!

Platinum Poster

Fuck you you cunt!
    tsk, tsk....someone has a potty mouth....what's the matter VonKramer, wake up on the wrong side of the toilet today?

Veteran Poster

Your still a pussy, chef. A real computer tough guy.

Platinum Poster

Your still a pussy, chef. A real computer tough guy.
    A real computer tough guy? Like the the loser who threatened to punch Arianna in the face when he was once again proven to be a reich-wing cretin? Wasn't that you? Maybe you better shut your cock-holster before you make an even bigger ass of yourself...

Professional Poster

opcorn

Burninating the country side, burninating the peasants. Burninating all the people in their thatched roof cottages....THATCHED ROOF COTTAGES!!!!!

Platinum Poster

More on the GOP agenda...

Right Is Might for GOP's Aspirants

By Janet Hook, Times Staff Writer
    March 25, 2006

WASHINGTON — Most Americans know one thing about Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, if they know anything at all: He lost more than 100 pounds in one year, a triumph touted in a weight-loss book that he has hawked around the country.

But evangelical conservative activists know one or two other things that make the governor a standout among Republicans who may run for president in 2008: Huckabee is a Baptist minister and a fierce defender of traditional family values.

"Let's face it," he recently told a crowd of Christian conservatives in Iowa, the state that holds the nation's earliest presidential caucuses. "In our lifetimes, we've seen our country go from 'Leave It to Beaver' to 'Beavis and Butt-head,' from Barney Fife to Barney Frank, from 'Father Knows Best' to television shows where father knows nothing."

Huckabee's early outreach to evangelicals — in Iowa and elsewhere — is a tribute to the clout of the GOP's Christian conservative wing. That faction was crucial to President Bush's reelection in 2004, and is maneuvering to have a big say in who wins the party's nomination in 2008.

The Iowa Christian Alliance has invited all of the potential Republican candidates to address voters around the state. Antiabortion activists have scrutinized potential contenders' records. A coalition of national conservative groups has summoned potential candidates to a conference here in September that it expects to be attended by 2,000 or more "values voters."

"We are looking forward to a vibrant competition among politicians for these voters," said Gary Bauer, a conservative leader who ran for president in 2000. "No one owns them."

Because no candidate has a lock on conservative evangelicals, virtually all of the major Republican politicians — even those who have been at odds with the Christian right on hot-button issues — see an opportunity to win their favor.

Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has disavowed past statements supporting abortion rights. Sen. George Allen (R-Va.) dropped his support for covering homosexuals in hate crimes legislation. Even Rudolph W. Giuliani, the former New York mayor, whose liberal record on social issues is anathema to many conservatives, recently spoke to a meeting of evangelical leaders in the South.

But social and religious conservatives' influence may be limited by the fact that they have not rallied around one candidate. The potential candidates with the best showings in early polls — Giuliani and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) — are viewed with suspicion by many conservatives. Yet those whom many regard as soul mates of religious conservatives, such as Huckabee and Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.), are among the least-known, which suggests they would have the highest hurdles to cross to win the nomination.

So some activists are urging social conservatives to close ranks behind a like-minded candidate to maximize their impact.

"If we get together and get behind a single candidate, we can be formidable," said Paul M. Weyrich, a conservative leader. "But if we are split up into eight different camps … it's going to destroy any chance of being effective."

It is not clear when or whether that agreement will happen. But it is clear that this faction is still a force, as potential candidates move to curry its favor — or at least stay off its enemies list.

"No one seems to be running from the right," said Brian Hart, Brownback's communications director. "Every named candidate is making a play for the right, and some seem to be doing a decent job of it. A year ago you would've said, 'No way McCain would be courting conservatives.' You never would have said a Massachusetts governor would be courting conservatives."

Christian conservatives — mostly white evangelical Protestants and increasingly Catholics — have been a crucial part of the GOP base during the Bush years. They tend to be more concerned about social issues such as abortion, religion in public life and same-sex marriage than are GOP economic conservatives, whose top priorities are cutting taxes and regulation.

With no indisputable front-runner in the emerging GOP field, religious conservatives have an opportunity to wield more influence in the selection than they have had in recent years. In 2000, the establishment consensus behind Bush formed so early that other candidates with closer ties to the religious right, such as Bauer and Alan Keyes, were mere also-rans.

Still, evangelicals easily warmed to Bush, a born-again Christian. They provided crucial votes in the contested 2000 election and even more in his 2004 reelection.

According to exit polls, Bush received 78% of the white evangelical vote in 2004, up 10 percentage points from 2000, says the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press. Bush also received 52% of the Catholic vote, up from 47% in 2000.

Jennifer Duffy, an analyst for the nonpartisan Cook Political Report, estimates that a third or more of GOP primary voters are Christian conservatives. That means that they may not be strong enough to pick a nominee, but "they are strong enough to give candidates they dislike a lot of trouble," said John C. Green, a political scientist at the University of Akron.

That is why, more than two years before the 2008 election, Republicans are traveling the country to shore up support among evangelicals.

Huckabee is building on ties to religious leaders that he made as a Southern Baptist minister and former president of the Arkansas Baptist State Convention. He has endorsed South Dakota's new abortion ban, and last week spoke at a Florida gathering hosted by the Center for Reclaiming America for Christ.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...?track=tottext