Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum Poster

Default S.D. Governor Signs Abortion Ban Into Law

S.D. Governor Signs Abortion Ban Into Law By CHET BROKAW, Associated Press Writer
    Mon Mar 6, 1:36 PM ET

PIERRE, S.D. - Gov. Mike Rounds on Monday signed legislation banning almost all abortions in South Dakota.

The Legislature passed the ban late last month, focusing nationwide interest on the state as the governor decided what to do about the measure.

The law, designed to raise a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade, the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion, is scheduled to take effect July 1.

Under the law, doctors in South Dakota will face up to five years in prison for performing an abortion except when the procedure is necessary to save the mother's life.

Rounds issued a technical veto of a similar measure two years ago because it would have wiped out all existing restrictions on abortion while the bill was tied up for years in a court challenge.

South Dakota Planned Parenthood said it planned a quick court challenge.

Yet another slap from the state that brought you 30% credit card interest by setting an example and scragging its usory laws.

Professional Poster

These conservatives are gonna turn back the clock now over the next years, just to make the religious right happy.

Within a decade, the national anthem is gonna be Dixieland :P

Yourdaddy's probably getting a hardon from this Governor

and Governor, this is for you.

Burninating the country side, burninating the peasants. Burninating all the people in their thatched roof cottages....THATCHED ROOF COTTAGES!!!!!

Platinum Poster

Onward Christian Soldiers! The Bush Army of God continues to march on...

Welcome to Senator Bill Napoli's X-Rated Mind
    Rachel Sklar 03/22/2006

Let me say at the outset of this post that I have an agenda: to raise awareness of South Dakota Senator Bill Napoli's sick and twisted inner fantasy life.

Have you heard of the good Senator? Allow me to introduce him. He's a Republican State Senator for South Dakota. He's a big fan of the state's recent abortion ban, which permits an abortion only where the mother's life is endangered, and makes no exception for cases of rape or incest.

He thinks most abortions are performed for "convenience."

But hey. He's a compassionate guy, and he can even think of a circumstance under which he'd make an exception. I mean, he's really thought about it, clearly often and in great detail:

"A real-life description to me would be a rape victim, brutally raped, savaged. The girl was a virgin. She was religious. She planned on saving her virginity until she was married. She was brutalized and raped, sodomized as bad as you can possibly make it, and is impregnated. I mean, that girl could be so messed up, physically and psychologically, that carrying that child could very well threaten her life."
    This scarily specific, fully-formed rape fantasy has been outraging the blogosphere since March 3, 2006; as Salon's Rebecca Traister said: "I want to scrub my eyeballs with bleach in the hopes that I can erase the memory of having read those words coming from the mouth of an elected official." With profound apologies to your eyeballs, I've posted Napoli's scary scary screed because I think it's important that people know that there's a Senator out there passing off his disturbing sadomasochistic fantasies as "policy." I know, I'm funny that way.

I'm glad that Wonkette and Molly Ivins and Daily Kos and yes, HuffPo are funny that way, too. Why I'm bringing this up again now: three weeks later, why isn't the rest of the media? Why aren't they on this guy? Searches in the New York Times and Washington Post turn up nothing, same with Newsweek and Time (and what, nothing on Fox? Shocking!). Yes, I have an agenda, but it seems to me that when an elected official makes this kind of statement, he must be called on it -- especially when that statement is made in support of a Draconian law that is on the march in Utah, Missouri, Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee and West Virginia. C'mon, NYT. Give it up, Newsweek. Let this skeevy toad know that people are paying attention.

Actually, why wait? Let him know yourself, via this handy online form where you can send him a note that says "Dear Senator Napoli, please stay away from my daughter." That's kind of funny, too.

This article and it's links here-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rachel...n_b_17669.html

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

i believe a woman should have the option of aborting any child up until its learns third semester calculus.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    i believe a woman should have the option of aborting any child up until its learns third semester calculus.

Actually, in some cases, I don't think there should be a limit.

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedOne
    Quote Originally Posted by trish

Actually, in some cases, I don't think there should be a limit.
    Have you been talking to my mom?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Rookie Poster

No mommy no! *Is chased by the vacuum cleaner*

No seriously, it's obvious they did this just so that it will get brought to the supreme court. It deliberately contradicts Roe Vs. Wade, and the conservatives are hoping that with a now mostly conservative supreme court, they can overturn it.

You have to believe that doing a small, genuinely kind thing for someone will make the world a better place. Those small acts of compassion, those real acts of love, give each other the greatest gift of all-hope.

I've taken a number of road trips across North America, one of which actually brought me through South Dakota. I'll just add this latest bit of information to my very lengthy list of reasons to never return there. Yuuuucccckkk!!!!!

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Shame that these legislators forget the Oath they swore to protect and uphold the Constitution, from all enemies, foreign and domestic. Maybe they had their fingers crossed. They have been trying to pass limited laws to erode a woman's right to choose and to have sovereignty over her own body but this is more like trying to cause a legal landslide. It may cause a lot more damage and in different areas than they intend.

FK