Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Freudian Slip Platinum Poster Wendy Summers's Avatar

Default Re: Should the T be in LGBT ?

While from an origins of the issue standpoint is true there's little to no connection, I believe it's foolhardy to say transsexuality in the political realm is disassociated with LGB issues. Marriage is a great example.

In many states, even after surgery, a transperson is legally defined by their birth genitals. So from a legal standpoint, a heterosexual transperson would need a homosexual marriage. Gay marriage will be resolved long before our legal right to be recognized for the gender we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Summers View Post
    While from an origins of the issue standpoint is true there's little to no connection, I believe it's foolhardy to say transsexuality in the political realm is disassociated with LGB issues. Marriage is a great example.

In many states, even after surgery, a transperson is legally defined by their birth genitals. So from a legal standpoint, a heterosexual transperson would need a homosexual marriage. Gay marriage will be resolved long before our legal right to be recognized for the gender we are.
    I agree with this. While t-people need leaders to look out for their rights, specifically, they need to avoid the trap of divide and conquer. That is, getting minority groups to fight one another, instead of the powers that be. Wendy gives a good example. Here in Ohio, the last I heard, was that the sex cannot be changed on the birth certificate for any reason, which includes srs surgery. So then if trans people support gay marriage here, thay are also attacking the birth certificate issue, by making it less important for certain legal rights.

In Iran, trans people are consdered a legal member of their sex, and have such rights, as marriage. However, there is greater discrimination against gays, there than here. I have heard similar stories about China, in the past. So I'm saying that trans people, gain by supporting the rights of everyone. Though there are gays that dont relate to trans issues, gays in general are not the ones, holding trans people back. I have always seen that certain gay bars, are trans friendly, and this is the major place to find, community members. Even crossdressers, who some find repulsive here, practicallly adore transexual women.

And the whole issue aside, I have found that the more you see what you have in common with all people, the greater peace, you will have in your life. And an example of this is that, sometimes trans women fail to grasp that they have similar issues with all women. But they become so focused on their community, they lose some of the power, that comes with being in a group that has half the population on planet earth.

Last edited by yodajazz; 05-25-2012 at 04:24 AM.

The Voluptuous Diva 5 Star Poster TSMichelleAustin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yodajazz View Post
    I agree with this. While t-people need leaders to look out for their rights, specifically, they need to avoid the trap of divide and conquer. That is, getting minority groups to fight one another, instead of the powers that be. Wendy gives a good example. Here in Ohio, the last I heard, was that the sex cannot be changed on the birth certificate for any reason, which includes srs surgery. So then if trans people support gay marriage here, thay are also attacking the birth certificate issue, by making it less important for certain legal rights.

In Iran, trans people are consdered a legal member of their sex, and have such rights, as marriage. However, there is greater discrimination against gays, there than here. I have heard similar stories about China, in the past. So I'm saying that trans people, gain by supporting the rights of everyone. Though there are gays that dont relate to trans issues, gays in general are not the ones, holding trans people back. I have always seen that certain gay bars, are trans friendly, and this is the major place to find, community members. Even crossdressers, who some find repulsive here, practicallly adore transexual women.

And the whole issue aside, I have found that the more you see what you have in common with all people, the greater peace, you will have in your life. And an example of this is that, sometimes trans women fail to grasp that they have similar issues with all women. But they become so focused on their community, they lose some of the power, that comes with being in a group that has half the population on planet earth.
    Yea I was born in Ohio and you cant change even your name on your birth certificate. On your gay bar comment, gay bars tolerate it because it can generate money. But I know a few gay bars that will turn away people who dont look same on ID. Meaning if you still have male on your ID, or boy name, etc.

Forgot the Q - Seeing LGBTQ (Queer) here as well.

Seperate perhaps, but for the purposes of a unified social and legal rights coalition, fracturing the LGBT into disparate groups would defeat the original purpose. In Canada a MtF transgendered person can have their gender on the passport as female. it too pressure from the LGBT movement as a whole to attain that change in the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by TSMichelleAustin View Post
    Yea I was born in Ohio and you cant change even your name on your birth certificate. On your gay bar comment, gay bars tolerate it because it can generate money. But I know a few gay bars that will turn away people who dont look same on ID. Meaning if you still have male on your ID, or boy name, etc.
    wow thats cray...

onmyknees Platinum Poster onmyknees's Avatar

I said as much in a heated discussion on here some time ago, but maybe it was the messenger lol. Since I'm none of the above ( as far as I know) ...take it for what it's worth, but I see no commonality whatsoever other than in a political context...and politics breeds strange bedfellows as they say. Politics is also about coalitions...and therein lies the game. I think my issue was with the term "community". I never ever hear the GLB folks advocating for your issues, but when talking about thier issues...they always use the LGBT label.

Last edited by onmyknees; 05-25-2012 at 05:13 AM.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Hey everybody thanks for your input

~Maddy

Quote Originally Posted by TSMichelleAustin View Post
    Yea I was born in Ohio ...
    I knew I liked you for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by onmyknees View Post
    I said as much in a heated discussion on here some time ago, but maybe it was the messenger lol. Since I'm none of the above ( as far as I know) ...take it for what it's worth, but I see no commonality whatsoever other than in a political context...and politics breeds strange bedfellows as they say. Politics is also about coalitions...and therein lies the game. I think my issue was with the term "community". I never ever hear the GLB folks advocating for your issues, but when talking about thier issues...they always use the LGBT label.
    I think they're saying that all groups under the umbrella deserve certain, legal rights. The last Governor here in OH, included trans people under his "job discrimination protections order", as well as gays. All the letters should have somewhat different needs. So even if we have the different communites, as you say, we still stand for each other's rights.

Best T-Girl Events Producer & Promoter Professional Poster Tranny Strip's Avatar

It is such a hard topic to discuss. Everyone has diffrent feelings. But I can say there is much support from the Gay Community with orginazations that support the T world. At very early stages in becoming a T most girls rely on these orginazations that are gay affliated becuase Gays most likely would not judge someone that wants to become a T. Some centers have clinics and therapists and outreach groups and advise for the T world.

I thought very long and hard about doing Gay Pride here in NYC. My heart and the girls really wanted to do the Parade and have a Float. So we have commited to do the Gay Pride Parade for the NYC LBGT Community. It is also a very costly thing to do. To have a float and all details needed is costing thousands.

Sunday, June 24th Tranny Strip will almost make HISTORY as almost the FIRST full on TS Party to have a Float in Gay Pride. Yes, there have been many TS girls on Gay Pride Floats....but not a full on TS Party for NYC. There are only 4 promoters here in NYC and no one has done before.

I will post more details when I have them and information. If your in NYC love you to come out and support us on Sunday June 24th at 12 noon as we go down 5th Avenue.

The NYC LBGT Hertiage of Pride Committe is very excited about our decesion to go forward with Pride. They have also asked me to get them more TS girls involved in actvities during Pride that they are doing. That want them to be more visible and have a voice to be heard.

Thanks to Hung Angels and all there support thus far to Tranny Strip. I have become very close with alot of my girls and helped them out anyway possible. Now we all will join forces on that Sunday June 24th and show a Million people on the Parade route some TS POWER!!

xo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gay Pride Banner.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	473370  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

* All Event Details, US Locations, Pics & Videos at www.TGirlEvents.com
    * Questions Call or Text: 646-437-7191
    * Follow Us on Twitter: www.Twitter.com/TGirlEvents
    * Follow Us on Instagram: www.Instagram.com/TGirlEvent
    * Send Email/Sign Up for our Newsletter: info@tgirlevents.com