Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Facebook IPO

Default Facebook IPO

For once the small investor was spared. We didn't buy into the hype and bullshit. The whole sorry episode began to unravel when General Motors announced they're done with social media and would pull all future Facebook advertising... not exactly an account FB wanted to lose just a few days before going public.
    But their bankers were undaunted. In all its magnificent hubris, lead underwriter Morgan Stanley priced the IPO way too high and Nasdaq totally bungled the initial trading volume. Both entities will suffer greatly as the securities industry reels from endless scandals.

And Facebook stock goes down every day.

Berlin whore Junior Poster

Default Re: Facebook IPO

people that did buy facebook stocks before the IPO are the real winners, here it is not facebook that is loosing the money but wall street and investors.

yes, the private capital that financed FB in its early stages are big winners, as well as Zuckerberg and friends who created the company. I can certainly live with that

This all just tells me that the NASDAQ yokels just overpriced the stock on Thursday night. People who already owned stock would have been smart to dump in later on Friday when it hit $43 a share. Zuckerberg et al did fine at $38. Should be enough cash to get a new server, & maybe hire somebody who actually understands what "user friendly" means.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Hey! Get off my lawn. 5 Star Poster Odelay's Avatar

There's been some serious criticism of the click through advertising model, as of late. I guess General Motors has read some of it.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    For once the small investor was spared. We didn't buy into the hype and bullshit. The whole sorry episode began to unravel when General Motors announced they're done with social media and would pull all future Facebook advertising... not exactly an account FB wanted to lose just a few days before going public.
    But their bankers were undaunted. In all its magnificent hubris, lead underwriter Morgan Stanley priced the IPO way too high and Nasdaq totally bungled the initial trading volume. Both entities will suffer greatly as the securities industry reels from endless scandals.

The final end of the 'dot com' era?

They don't earn any money, compared to the stock price at least. 900 million people use it, but they use it for FREE. I know I never click on any of the ads. I assume nobody else does either. I figured that out before GM did.

Just another net knob Junior Poster jimbo1974's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Guy View Post
    The final end of the 'dot com' era?

They don't earn any money, compared to the stock price at least. 900 million people use it, but they use it for FREE. I know I never click on any of the ads. I assume nobody else does either. I figured that out before GM did.
    Are you both mental ?

1 billion users - and growing every day. Do you realise how much information Facebook has on its users ? Information that people will pay to see.

As for GM not using it anymore - lets face it GM are a dying company, pulled out of bankruptcy by the US government very recently. I hardly think Facebook will be shitting themselves

The stock dropped - its now around 31/32 dollars, smack bang in the middle of the predicted IPO price.

Also - turn the news on - the world is shitting itself about the effects of Greece exiting the Euro and its knock on effects. Share's are down everywhere.

Looking at it in its entirety - you have to conclude the IPO was not unsuccessful.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

On the one hand someone I know has said she never clicks on the ads that appear on her Facebook pages; on the other hand this morning there was an item on BBC Radio4 news about a firm -I can't recall its name- which launched its new fragrance online through its Facebook pages, so maybe that is one way commerce can benefit, although these firms must also have their own webpages as well.

Today's Guardian has a report which claims:

Financial regulators are to investigate whether the banks in charge of Facebook's initial stock offering broke the rules by selectively releasing negative news about the company before shares went on sale.
    The financial industry regulatory authority (Finra) is looking into allegations that Morgan Stanley and other banks released reduced revenue forecasts for Facebook to big investors – but not the general public – before Friday's IPO. Such activity could constitute a violation of securities law.

Full article here:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...tegated-secret

Just another net knob Junior Poster jimbo1974's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Financial regulators are to investigate whether the banks in charge of Facebook's initial stock offering broke the rules by selectively releasing negative news about the company before shares went on sale.
    The financial industry regulatory authority (Finra) is looking into allegations that Morgan Stanley and other banks released reduced revenue forecasts for Facebook to big investors – but not the general public – before Friday's IPO. Such activity could constitute a violation of securities law.
    Are you suggesting that financial institutions look after each other, and their major customers, flouting the law, without any care for the general public and generally acting like a***holes for their own self interest ?

Im shocked

Senior Member Platinum Poster

There is also a report in the New York Times today. Shocked? Not really.