Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Rookie Poster

I thought this writer summed it up best:

For those who haven’t seen it, or for those who have seen it and are simply a little slow, Crash is a cheesy, ham-fisted melodrama that makes Peter Jackson look like Wim Wenders. It’s bloated, predictable, filled with flat characters, and unpleasant to watch. It’s a tale about racism that never stops reminding you in bright colors and monosyllabic words and arbitrary plot points that you are watching a movie about racism, and it’s your duty to be moved by the film. If not, you don’t understand it. It’s a movie for people who don’t understand enough about movies to pick a good one from a fake one; it’s the cinematic equivalent of Ayn Rand, a film for posers and wannabes and that guy in your philosophy class who thinks he’s on the ball but pronounces the first “s” in “Descartes.”
    ----Dan Carlson

Although i liked it, it was NOT best picture. As much as i enjoy movies on race relations, there are much better films about race that were made 20 years ago. this movie is hardly fresh.

Junior Poster

^Thats one of the most ridiculous movie reviews I've ever read. Dan Carlson obviously doesn't know shit about cinema.

Can't wait to see Sin City 2. Thats definitely a sequel that will be just as good if not better than the original.

"Girls stink, they stink, they're evil, they're all bad, all of them, they're backstabbers"-Vincent Gallo 'Buffalo 66'

Quote Originally Posted by mds
    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleTS

The David Cronenberg "Crash" (Jame Spader) is one fucked up movie.
    I remember you saying that you liked David Cronenberg films, Crash, needs a special edition DVD though.
    eXistenZ is a good movie.

Boys will be girls.

Author (under a nom de plume) of "Jesus Is an Anarchist", Dec. 4, 2011, http://ssrn.com/abstract=1337761 ; Theophysics, http://theophysics.freevar.com .

I'm glad Crash won. It's quite possibly the best movie ive seen in a long time, and i watch a of movies. matt dillon's performance in it was great.

New Orleans, no place like home.

Rookie Poster

I didn't see any of the nominated movies. Not for lack of interest, I've just not been to the movies much in the past year. So I can't say one is better than the other. I've heard a lot of good things about all of them and I'll probably eventually rent all of them.

But, what I don't understand is how the media covers it. All the stories about what a shocker it was that Crash beat BB Mountain. And that BB Mountain lost because in the end Hollywood was too afraid to recognize a gay themed movie in the mainstream.

I don't get that. Hollywood? Afraid to recognize gay themes? Did the media miss that BB Mountain won two of the biggest awards - Director and screenplay? Did the media miss that best actor was awarded for a portrayal of the openly gay Truman Capote who wrote often of gay themes? That Hollywood recognized Transamerica with high profile nominations?

So how is it that because Crash won, suddenly Hollywood is afraid of recognizing gay themes? Hollywood absolutely did recognize gay themes this year. And from what I can tell, the movies and actors they recognized absolutely deserved it. Not because it was a gay theme but because it was a tremendous performance that happened to have a gay theme. Hooray for Hollywood! Now, in the future, hopefully the media can concentrate less on whether it is a gay theme and more on, is it a good movie.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by robbie
    I didn't see any of the nominated movies. Not for lack of interest, I've just not been to the movies much in the past year. So I can't say one is better than the other. I've heard a lot of good things about all of them and I'll probably eventually rent all of them.

But, what I don't understand is how the media covers it. All the stories about what a shocker it was that Crash beat BB Mountain. And that BB Mountain lost because in the end Hollywood was too afraid to recognize a gay themed movie in the mainstream.

I don't get that. Hollywood? Afraid to recognize gay themes? Did the media miss that BB Mountain won two of the biggest awards - Director and screenplay? Did the media miss that best actor was awarded for a portrayal of the openly gay Truman Capote who wrote often of gay themes? That Hollywood recognized Transamerica with high profile nominations?

So how is it that because Crash won, suddenly Hollywood is afraid of recognizing gay themes? Hollywood absolutely did recognize gay themes this year. And from what I can tell, the movies and actors they recognized absolutely deserved it. Not because it was a gay theme but because it was a tremendous performance that happened to have a gay theme. Hooray for Hollywood! Now, in the future, hopefully the media can concentrate less on whether it is a gay theme and more on, is it a good movie.
    i didn't think it was possible for someone to win Best Director
    yet not win Best Picture , that was odd.
    Ang Lee seemed visibly disappointed in a backstage interview that
    his Brokeback Moutain film did not win Best Pic.

Rookie Poster

Of course Ang Lee was disappointed. A director puts his heart and soul into a movie. It's his vision. He wouldn't be human if he wasn't disappointed.

But I agree. I've never understood that either. If a movie is the director's movie; if the movie is the director's vision, how then can you be the best director but your movie wasn't the best movie -- and vice versa?

Honestly, that's a question. Anybody have an informed answer to the difference?

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by robbie
    Of course Ang Lee was disappointed. A director puts his heart and soul into a movie. It's his vision. He wouldn't be human if he wasn't disappointed.

But I agree. I've never understood that either. If a movie is the director's movie; if the movie is the director's vision, how then can you be the best director but your movie wasn't the best movie -- and vice versa?

Honestly, that's a question. Anybody have an informed answer to the difference?
    For what it's worth I think Brokeback Mountain really took it up the ass...shoulda got the Oscar!..................Sorry I couln't resist

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ManOfSteel

I'd have to agree with Quentin Tarantino when he said on Kimmel that Sin City and The Devil's Rejects were overlooked by the Oscars. He also mentioned Hostel but I didn't see that film.
    I think I remember reading when Sin City was getting made that it could never be nominated. Rodriquez quit is Directors Guild of American or whatever as they wouldn't allow him to put Frank Miller as a co-director.
    seanchai

Hey twowaybro, what do you mean by:

Crash....sorry, but 2 thumbs down....didnt like this one @ all....forced multi-culturism.
    Kramer,

This movie was just another example of a certain segment of society trying 2 force the idea of multi-culturalism as the mainstream ideal in society imo. Whats so wrong with birds of the same feather flying in the same flock?

"I like my women like i like my coffee...HOT & BLACK."

BTGA