Default Paige Clay, Chicago Trans-woman Found dead in Alley on West Side

RIP to Paige, 23

Be careful girls!

I donated for her burial...

READ Below

A transgender woman has been found apparently murdered in West Garfield Park, Chicago, according to the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs. Paige Clay, 23, was found in an alley was found in an alley on the 4500 block of West Jackson on Monday at 3:52 a.m.
    Police did not identify Clay. Rather, several community members confirmed her identity to Windy City Times. According to reports, Clay received services at local LGBT agencies and was known in Chicago's ball scene.
    According to Ivory Mays, a close friend of Clay's, Clay was originally from Chicago and lived for a time at Lawrence Hall Youth Services.
    She held jobs at McDonald's, Wendy's and Forever 21 clothing store, and recently got her own apartment, said Mays.
    Mays described Clay as a "sweet person" who loved life and enjoyed a large chosen queer family.
    "It's a big community of people that loved her," said Mays. "She was a very creative person, very diligent."
    Clay did not have many known family members in Chicago. Friends are currently searching for a cousin but say they will need to raise funds to bury her.
    According to police, Clay suffered a gunshot wound to the head. No one is custody. Area North Detectives are investigating.
    Community members are organizing a remembrance of Clay and a fundraiser, the details of which have yet to be announced.
    Windy City Times will continue to update as details become available. Those who would like to contribute to a remembrance of Clay can email editor@windycitymediagroup.com .

Center on Halsted responds to Transgender Woman Murdered in Chicago

Chicago — According to news reports, a transgender woman was found dead in Chicago's West Garfield Park neighborhood yesterday from an apparent gunshot wound to the head.
    In response, Modesto Tico Valle, Center on Halsted CEO, released the following statement:
    "Though we do not have all the details, this news is extremely disturbing, especially as severe violence against transgender women is all too common. Transgender women face some of the highest rates of violence and abuse in our nation. This is the third reported murder of a transgender woman in the U.S. in April alone.
    "We must work together to create more safety in our world for all people, especially those most targeted."
    Center on Halsted is a founding member of the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs ( NCAVP ) . Their most recent report indicated that of the murders identified as hate crimes against LGBTQ people and those impacted by HIV in 2010, 44% were against transgender women.

National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs news release:
    The National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs ( NCAVP ) has learned of the murder of a transgender woman, found shot to death on Monday, April 16th in West Garfield Park in Chicago. www.chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/04/16/man-found-shot-to-death-in-west-garfield-park/ .

NCAVP's most recent report, Hate Violence Against Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and HIV-Affected Communities in the United States in 2010 ( cts.vresp.com/c/ ) , documented 27 anti-LGBTQH murders, the second highest yearly total ever recorded by the coalition. Transgender women made up 44% of the 27 reported hate murders in 2010, while representing only 11% of total survivors and victims.

NCAVP is working with its member organization in Chicago Center on Halsted to offer our assistance with their efforts to support the community during this critical time. NCAVP encourages anyone who has experienced violence to contact a local anti-violence program for support and to document this violence. For help locating an anti-violence program in your area, please contact info@ncavp.org or visit www.ncavp.org .

Join NCAVP in our efforts to prevent and respond to LGBTQH violence. To learn more about our national advocacy, receive technical assistance or support, contact us.

If you are a member of the media and wish to speak with an NCAVP representative, please contact Lisa Gilmore at the Center on Halsted at 773-661-0734.

NCAVP works to prevent, respond to, and end all forms of violence against and within lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and HIV-affected ( LGBTQH ) communities. NCAVP is a national coalition of local member programs and affiliate organizations who create systemic and social change. NCAVP is a program of the New York City Anti-Violence Project.

Last edited by MrsKellyPierce; 04-19-2012 at 10:49 PM.

My official Adult Blog

http://www.kellypierceblog.com

My Official Blog for my TS Sisters

http://www.secretkelly.com

My official Cam Site

http://www.kellysdreamhouse.com

Senior Member Platinum Poster giovanni_hotel's Avatar

Default Re: Paige Clay, Chicago Trans-woman Found dead in Alley on West Side

Did you know her, or of her??
    This is the first time I've seen her name.

Quote Originally Posted by giovanni_hotel View Post
    Did you know her, or of her??
    This is the first time I've seen her name.
    Nope didn't know her, but keep in mind that could be her real name. Not her stage name.

I donated, because they said they couldn't find any family members. And money is needed to bury her.

My official Adult Blog

My official Cam Site

Bella Doll Platinum Poster BellaBellucci's Avatar

This is sad. My condolences to her 'chosen family' (believe me, I know how that goes).

~BB~

Freudian Slip Platinum Poster Wendy Summers's Avatar

damn... one day hopefully we'll stop finding articles like these... rest in peace.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Summers View Post
    damn... one day hopefully we'll stop finding articles like these... rest in peace.
    Nice post, Wendy. I agree. RIP

I'm from the metro Detroit area. There have been several murders of trans-women here as well. Other than a high profile case where a young woman was decapitated and burned, most of these murders go unsolved. If murders like these happened within another ethnic or non LGBT group of people, there would be huge public outcry. I'll be donating as well

Quote Originally Posted by dabaldone View Post
    I'm from the metro Detroit area. There have been several murders of trans-women here as well. Other than a high profile case where a young woman was decapitated and burned, most of these murders go unsolved. If murders like these happened within another ethnic or non LGBT group of people, there would be huge public outcry. I'll be donating as well
    100% if more of these cases got real media coverage...a lot more would be solved..or the guy would get real time in prison

My official Adult Blog

My official Cam Site

5 Star Poster

I don't think I knew this person, based on the name, but I will donate.

The odds the police will ever find out who's behind this are slim to none. West Garfield park is one of those places where very few murders are ever solved. A 6 year old can get shot by gang cross fire (or even a drive by) and no one talks. Between police surveillance cameras, that never work, and a culture of not talking to the cops are allot of people like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Summers View Post
    Which essentially means that police forces carry their institutional racism and homophobia into other areas of LGBT discrimination.

Hardly surprising but sad nevertheless. And while it's good that she had a "chosen family", also very sad and typical that her own family appear to have disowned her.

RIP indeed.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed