Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Who has been America's greatest military foe?

Quote Originally Posted by onmyknees View Post
    Since you didn't specifically say greatest military foe, I'll opt for the biggest foe of the day being members of the "elite" GSA throwing lavish Vegas parties on hard working tax dollars while the peasants eat cake. Imagine what those millions spent on champagne and hotel suites could have done for poor school districts, or mid west towns blown off the face of the earth by tornados.

Coming in a strong second would be China and the way they manipulate their currency.
    In fact in my post I specifically stated 'military foe'. What is interesting about this thread and the comments I have read on the poll by the readers of say, th Daily Telegraph, is that it doesn't take long for the 'military foe' to become anyone deemed an 'enemy'. And this usually becomes someone from within the country -Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and even Edward Heath have been nominated.

The USA has a problem because although it has been attacked from outside by Japan, and al-Qaeda, only the British have fought battles inside the US with 'US' troops in the War of Independence.

In Vietnam, Ho Chih Minh was a thinker not a military strategist, that role was taken by General Vo Nguyen Giap who master-minded the Tet Offensive of 1968 which, though a military failure, established the fact that the USA could not gain a military victory in Vietnam, and marked the onset of peace negotiations. But was Ho a Foe?

Last edited by Stavros; 04-17-2012 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by runningdownthatdream View Post
    He was the lead military strategist as well
    actually that was general gap who is also credited with starting the anti-war protest moviment in the states to counter the winning of heart and minds the american g.i's did in the south

Rookie Poster

Canada.. Why do you think they call the white house.. the white house.. cuz canada burnt it down.. and when it was repainted white.. the name stuck

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    In Vietnam, Ho Chih Minh was a thinker not a military strategist, that role was taken by General Vo Nguyen Giap who master-minded the Tet Offensive of 1968 which, though a military failure, established the fact that the USA could not gain a military victory in Vietnam, and marked the onset of peace negotiations. But was Ho a Foe?
    Ho was the leader of north vietnam like hilter was the leader of the germans
    niether was great on thier own militarily but they took the credit for the brillance of thier generals. was Ho the Foe yes and no but only if you play go

Quote Originally Posted by Frescadrink View Post
    Canada.. Why do you think they call the white house.. the white house.. cuz canada burnt it down.. and when it was repainted white.. the name stuck
    Um...what?

1. It has always been white, ever since the first stone was laid.

2. The White House was burned down by the British Army in 1814, not Canadians.

3. Although it may have been referred to colloquially as "The White House" previously, that did not become the official name of the residence until Theodore Roosevelt made it so during his presidency.

Adm. Isoroku Yamamoto of the Imperial Japanese Navy, the architect of the Pearl Harbor attack & Japan's successful early war campaigns & conquests.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Ignorance, prejudice, the gun lobby and big money

Militarily? Japan in all probability

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post

In Vietnam, Ho Chih Minh was a thinker not a military strategist, that role was taken by General Vo Nguyen Giap who master-minded the Tet Offensive of 1968 which, though a military failure,...
    I would agree that General Giap was probably the greatest military foe according to the definition in the article.

I would also point out that it wasn't just Tet for which he was famous (though I think he actually opposed it in the planning phase). His stroke of genius was to neutralize US technological and hardware advantage by adopting a strategy of staying very close, which he called something like hugging the belts of the Americans -- a very powerful metaphor of a little guy neutralizing the strength and reach of a big guy, fighting while holding onto his belt.

GOD Emperor of Mankind Platinum Poster LibertyHarkness's Avatar

america greatest foe is america ... and it will be america own internal issues that will cause it to fall apart .. in my opinon

Liberty Harkness
    "English Transsexual Model - Entertainer - Photographer "
    Twitter

Official Website

Tumblr
    My Webcam

Hey! Get off my lawn. 5 Star Poster Odelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyHarkness View Post
    america greatest foe is america ... and it will be america own internal issues that will cause it to fall apart .. in my opinon
    And here I thought it was going to be an invasion of UK T-girls that would be our undoing.