Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Fix News

Default Re: Fix News

aka whoever smelt it is actually who dealt it

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Christian values? interesting article from today's New York Times.
    But surely the point is that far too many of the people who proclaim Christian beliefs and values show themselves to be hate-filled, narrow-minded bigots whenever they open their mouths?

There's a tendency by some on HA to condemn an entire religion or political party (and I may have been guilty of the latter myself on occasion ) because of the actions or words of a few - thinking mostly of the militantly anti-Islamist faction tbh - but there's a serious risk that the hate-everyone-else-faction amongst evangelical Christians will ultimately serve to discredit all Christians in much the same way.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Silver Poster

I used to think all organized Religion was a racket, til my Dad died and the minister from the Church really swooped in and kept things from falling totally apart. Personally I think of religion as a guide for monks and holymen, but there is a school of religion that herds the flock, even if that herd is a bunch of unspecial nobodies.

World Class Asshole

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post
    I used to think all organized Religion was a racket, til my Dad died and the minister from the Church really swooped in and kept things from falling totally apart. Personally I think of religion as a guide for monks and holymen, but there is a school of religion that herds the flock, even if that herd is a bunch of unspecial nobodies.
    Please don't think that's what I was implying - I was raised as a presbyterian but in an enlightened environment both at home and church. Churches and individual Christians continue to do enormous amounts of good, usually quietly and unsung. It's the noisy, strident and controversial self-publicists that give the institution a bad name.

Dare I say it, there are plenty of strong parallels with other faiths, including Islam.

onmyknees Platinum Poster onmyknees's Avatar

LMAO....This is so perfectly fitting it needs no introduction. A white far left woman ...as white as rice claiming to be part of a minority group, and Harvard touting it !!!!!!!! Oh man, you can't make this shit up ! Nicely done Mrs. Warren...nicely done.
    Hypocrisy on the march ! Hey AK ( ass Kisser) ...you got any minority roots that you're claiming?

Harvard trips on roots of Elizabeth Warren’s family tree

Officials touted her Native American lineage

By Hillary Chabot
    Friday, April 27, 2012 - Updated 3 days ago
    + Recent Articles + Email

Elizabeth Warren’s avowed Native American heritage — which the candidate rarely if ever discusses on the campaign trail — was once touted by embattled Harvard Law School officials who cited her claim as proof of their faculty’s diversity.
    Warren’s claim, which surfaced yesterday after a Herald inquiry, put the candidate in an awkward position as campaign aides last night scrambled but failed to produce documents proving her family lineage. Aides said the tales of Warren’s Cherokee and Delaware tribe ancestors have been passed down through family lore.
    “Like most Americans, Elizabeth learned of her heritage through conversations with her grandparents, her parents, and her aunts and uncles,” said Warren’s strategist Kyle Sullivan.

The Ivy League law school prominently touted Warren’s Native American background, however, in an effort to bolster their diversity hiring record in the ’90s as the school came under heavy fire for a faculty that was then predominantly white and male.
    “Of 71 current Law School professors and assistant professors, 11 are women, five are black, one is Native American and one is Hispanic,” The Harvard Crimson quotes then-Law School spokesman Mike Chmura as saying in a 1996 article. The Crimson added that 83 percent of the Law School’s students believed the number of minority women on staff was inadequate.
    “Although the conventional wisdom among students and faculty is that the Law School faculty includes no minority women, Chmura said professor of law Elizabeth Warren is Native American,” the Crimson wrote.
    The Crimson noted Warren’s heritage again in 1998 when Lani Guinier became the first black woman tenured at the law school, mentioning that Warren was “the first woman with a minority background to be tenured.”
    The Warren campaign said the candidate never authorized Harvard Law to claim her as a minority hire.
    Sarah Marston, the current spokeswoman at Harvard Law School, said the school has had a change of heart when it comes to discussing Warren’s heritiage.
    “The Law School’s current policy is to refrain from publicly commenting about the race or ethnicity of individual faculty members,” Marston said in a statement.
    Harvard Law professor Charles Fried, a former U.S. Solicitor General who served under Ronald Reagan, sat on the appointing committee that recommended Warren for hire in 1995. He said he didn’t recall her Native American heritage ever coming up during the hiring process.
    “It simply played no role in the appointments process. It was not mentioned and I didn’t mention it to the faculty,” he said.
    Warren’s campaign said she has no recollection of discussing her Native American heritage with Harvard Law School faculty before her hire, and that her background came out later through conversations.
    Fried said he learned about Warren’s Cherokee and Delaware background later when he found a picture of Warren’s mother and asked her about it. Both Warren’s grandparents on her mother’s side had Native American lineage, her campaign said yesterday.
    Christopher Child, a genealogist at the New England Historic and Genealogical Society, traced back Warren’s family to her great-grandfather on her mother’s side and couldn’t find any proof of Native American heritage.
    “In her immediate pedigree there is no one who is listing themselves as not white,” said Child, who has researched the heritage of several prominent politicians.

Despite claiming she never used her Native American heritage when applying for...

He added that finding Native American lineage is not always easy: “Both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama claim to have Native American heritage, but we were never able to find evidence of that, and in both cases we traced their ancestry fairly thoroughly.”

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Did that last yawn inspiring post have anything whatsoever to do with this thread? Stay on target, Luke. Stay on target.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

omk, you are just so tiresome, with your seemingly endless one-club constructions aridly churning over the same old shit again and again.

We get it. You don't like anyone with a liberal cast of mind, consider us all to be hypocrites, and yet you're still here clinging to a savage right-wing agenda which would happily see this site and everyone on it condemned out of hand by the politics that you blithely espouse. That seems to be about as tight a definition of hypocrisy as I can muster. You're like Savonarola, but without the sense of humour or lightness of touch.

Minority origins? Full-blooded and proud Scot for three centuries with some distant Scandinavian mix from the days when the east coast of Scotland traded regularly with the Baltic.

So now you know where I came from, what I do for a living, and what I believe, but in the meantime you remain a shadowy figure crouched behind your keyboard, anonymously spewing forth your aimless venom at almost everyone except the occasional racist jerk who wanders in.

Unlike some, I'm glad you're still here, because it demonstrates that HA remains an enlightened and broad-minded place at heart. But make no mistake pal, you're out on the margins and on your own. Perhaps you're happy there, but it must get lonely at times.

Now give it, and all of us, a rest. Please.

Senior Member Silver Poster

It's OK that losers are sore, I was plenty sore the eight years W was in charge. The Obama Election Machine hasn't even turned the ignition key yet. Romney doesn't have one original idea different from the Bush Administration. It has been funny watching the etch-a-sketch Conservative Media try and slip left without looking like fools. Even OMK has to know Bush was poison to the entire WORLD, and Romney is the same old BS in a new can. Nobody wants another Bush in the Whitehouse. The Obama Election Team is going to turn all the lights on and watch the roaches scatter.
    "Anybody but Obama" isn't a resounding pulpit of confidence to preach from. The Republicans got nothing but pick-up trucks, dogs, and Rush Limbaugh, who they deny knowing exists.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	limbaugh-heavy.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	469103  

World Class Asshole

Just another net knob Junior Poster jimbo1974's Avatar

Fuck - if ever i needed reminding that politics is boring as fuck - this thread does it.

Imagine Margaret Thatchers face doing a shit. Imagine.

Nice huh ?

onmyknees Platinum Poster onmyknees's Avatar

What a fucking shame. LMAO. I guess those of you that get your "real news" from CNN are shrinking by the day. The problem with CNN ? They're as bias as NBC and NPR but pretend they're not. And the guy at 9pm who's sending viewers fleeing proves my point...Americans are fond of Brits...not just arrogant liberal ones.

Email Article
    Print Article Send a Tip

The era of the old media is over. CNN had the lowest rated month in eleven years in April; the last time CNN had ratings this bad, the date was August 2001. CNN had a grand total of 357,000 viewers, and just 108,000 in the crucial 25-54 age group. That puts them off 21% in total viewership and 29% in the 25-54 age group for the year. Fox News, by contrast, was up 2% to 1.1 million viewers overall and 1% to 273,000 viewers in the 25-54 group. MSNBC held steady with 425,000 viewers and 139,000 in the 25-54 age group.

All of CNN’s shows have taken a massive hit. John King USA lost 41% in its 25-54 age group. The shining star of the group was Piers Morgan, which was down only 14% at 9 p.m. In primetime, CNN was down to a two-year low. Fox News was even from last year, and MSNBC was down slightly.

So why is CNN falling apart, while the other networks seem to be holding steady? The other networks make no bones about their worldview. Everyone knows that Fox slants slightly conservative; MSNBC slants heavily liberal. CNN, however, pretends that it is down-the-middle when it is obviously slanted to the left.

The old media is done in the sense that the old media pretends at objectivity when everyone can see their obvious bias, and they pay the price for that big lie. Fewer and fewer people are getting their news from television; more are getting it from the internet.