Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Rookie Poster

Default Re: Suicide in Family, Anyone?

It's absurd that your mother blames you just because it was your gun. If he had deliberately killed himself in a car crash with your car, would she have blamed you then too? Of course not. If he didn't had had a gun he would have chosen another method but he would have done it.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

An Italian transexual I knew quite well - but had lost contact with - killed herself in London a couple of years ago. I gather she hanged herself.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Oh - and the ease with which one can kill oneself with a gun makes it far easier to end it all. Take an overdose or whatever and you might be saved. A gun in the mouth...no way. Another reason to rethink the laws on gun ownership - whatever the constitution says.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Oh - and the ease with which one can kill oneself with a gun makes it far easier to end it all. Take an overdose or whatever and you might be saved. A gun in the mouth...no way. Another reason to rethink the laws on gun ownership - whatever the constitution says.
    Maybe we should ban tall buildings, too.

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Rookie Poster

As someone currently struggling with these thoughts myself (to the point of being signed off work and under limited medical supervision), I can understand the pain for surviving friends and family...but unless youare or have suffered from these thoughts, you can never understand the sheer emotional duress that overrides the survival instinct. If I had a gun, I'd have been gone ages ago as that's the swiftest way out...as it is, it's a day to day ordeal at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by maaarc View Post
    found this on the web and thought I'd post it for those who might believe suicide is a character flaw or weakness. IMO this is a brain chemistry issue not a character issue.

http://www.freewebs.com/understandin...deselfharm.htm
    This is a great article. Thanks for posting it. People have to realize that suicide is not just killing yourself. It's the result of dealing with something unbearable, primarily depression. People don't ask for depression, it happens. It's chemical and, up until recent years, not many people had a clue how to deal with it, doctors included. People have to understand that having a bad day and depression are two different things. "I'm depressed today" only to be better tomorrow isn't the same as someone who is deeply depressed day in and day out to the point where they don't want to live. The first example will be fine the next day. The latter, that depends on treatment and being able to seek it with the help of loved ones as support.

To say that it's weak to kill yourself? I disagree with that as well. What is weak, is a person who goes through life accomplishing nothing because they're afraid to take risks and have the fear to succeed at something, however minimal. At the end of the day they look back and accomplish nothing and have affected their families members because they chose to be a loser. I challenge that same person to put a gun to his/her head and pull the trigger. Which one is the easy way out now, asshole?

My father put a gun to his head on March 25, 1987 and took his own life. I was barely out of my teens and was half/half suprised by it, along with devastated. While my father was going through his alcoholism and depression, I didn't know how to handle it. His verbal abuse caused me to leave the house every time he came home drunk. This was not the best approach, but like I said, not many people knew how to deal with such a situation, let alone a young man dealing with it. It caused some hard times after the fact, but I felt I grew much more, as a person, as a result.

On June 25, 2003, my uncle (my father's brother) did the exact same thing and took his own life. Another tough ordeal but it really drove the point home that depression (and he did suffer from it as well) is much more chemical and hereditary than people realize and fortunately today, it has become more treatable with medication and counselling. I think a lot of lives have been saved today as a result.

So for those who think they have suicide all figured out and that the victims are weak, gutless, selfish and arrogant, think again before you make such a statement and educate yourself rather than project ignorance. Hopefully you'll realize how arrogant and weak you were for not educating yourself on the subject and forcing upon others such ridiculous ignorance.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Not quite sure. A cousin of mine either committed suicide or she was so far gone she wasn't keeping track of her meds and OD'd. I don't push my aunt and let her tell her story about her own daughter. My cousin had a history of narcotics abuse and was also bi-polar. I hope she's found peace.

Lick My Member Junior Poster shaustin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Don't be so sure of a gun in the mouth having a 100% death-rate. It depends on type, calibur, and how you position it. I actually know of two people to survive a gun in the mouth.

One was actually an attempted homocide with a pistol, a "pimp" put the gun in the girls mouth and pulled the trigger then walked away thinking she was dead. The bullet went through and out the back of her head between the jaw and spine, and she recovered though she has many medical problems now, if I remember correctly she has to be force fed charcoal or something regularly at the hospital because she can't eat food normally.

I also once met my buddy's brother-in-law's first wife briefly when she showed up at his house to drop something off. She was disfigured so I asked about it once she had left, found out she had many mental disorders that caused the split, then a year or two later she decided to put a shotgun in her mouth. Of course it was a 20-gauge with bird shot shells, so she ended up survivng and having her face mutilated, as well as quite a few painful pieces of lead still stuck in her head after a half dozen surgeries. The worst part was that her depression doubled or tripled and she would rarely leave her house let alone ever go anywhere in public, and after all that she has a crippling fear of trying to make an attempt on her life again. So now she sits in a dark room in a house without mirrors and just waits to die every day.

Eat a dick.

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by moondoggie View Post
    My Ole Man shot himself in 1967,age 38. Me, I was 14. Because it was my rifle(22 cal) my Mother rarely spoke to me for the rest of her life. She drank herself to death and died 23 years later. The results of this catastrophic event was so devastating that I never married, have no family, few friends. And worst never knew love. And yet I still survive.
    nothing bad has happened in my family (unless you count the family members that have died of old age). i had a pretty good up bringing and my vacations were spent travelling to antwerp, turin and lyons. i still take these sojourns regularly, though i've also included ljubljana, kiev and basel.

between you and me, if you get the new chase gold card, you get great travel points that include vip lounges and priority boarding.

Last edited by bluesoul; 06-23-2012 at 10:59 PM.