Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which is a harder language to pick up: Portuguese vs. Thai?

My spanish is horrible btw so imagine one is starting from scratch. Also has anyone ever used the rosetta stone language software? Any good?

IMO, Portuguese is definitely easier.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Junior Poster

I haven't used any software before, but i would say that Thai is definitely more difficult to learn and pronounce.

If there’s any decent language software out there, i’m interested.

Still Here 5 Star Poster

I don't see why those other countries can't learn just learn American.

But seriously depending on what exactly you're planning on using the language for google "language boot camps". Good for business, complete overkill for recreational travel.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by NYCe
    I don't see why those other countries can't learn just learn American.
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat are you talking about?????????????
    Every country has its own culture,and besides what would the world be if everyone spoke english (if that's what you mean),where would be the root and diversity of each country?

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

NYCe - your forgot you are an American. Please refrain from using dry or sarcastic humour.
    Please adjust your tone and content to appeal the lowest possible IQ levels available - this board runs the whole gamut.
    But seriously....

seanchai

I think it depends upon why you would want to learn either one. If it's to facilitate visiting either Thailand or Brazil, consider that English is widely spoken in Thailand but not in Brazil. You can pick up key phrases pretty easily probably in both languages.

Portuguese, while related to Spanish, is quite distinct (and in some ways closer to Italian than Spanish). Portuguese also has 4000 irregular verbs (but how many do you need?).

Thai, unlike Chinese, is alphabetic, but like Chinese is tonal, so the same word can mean quite different things depending on the intonation. Also, in Thai, gender is determined by the person speaking, so that where a woman would say "Sawasdee kha" (hello), a man would say "Sawasdee khrap" (note: there seems to be no standard transliteration, so the same words are often transliterated into English differently: sawasdee, sawatdee, sawadee, etc.).

Default Re: Which is a harder language to pick up: Portuguese vs. Th

Quote Originally Posted by thanos
    Which is a harder language to pick up: Portuguese vs. Thai?
    It obviously depends on where you are from. If you speak Spanish, then Portugese is definitely going to be easier.

If you speak, and are familiar with the phonetics of an Asian language (other than Thai), then Thai would obviously be easier to learn.

Still Here 5 Star Poster

I was just given a free copy of the Rosetta Stone software for a new company I'm working with. I'll let the board know the results.

Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

dude this thread is one year old

lol, my ex is Portuguese, I loved listening to her scream out shit in her native tongue while we.......................nevermind

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ