Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: The ever reaching arm of a burdensome, un-constitutional government

In Illinois the courts upheld the state's regulation that a pharmacy must sell certain items.
    Exactly. Illinois pharmacies must sell birth control. That's the law. Moreover, a pharmacy that refused to sell antibiotics would lose it's license. So what part of "A pharmacist cannot decide he doesn't believe in antibiotics and refuse to sell them " don't you understand.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Exactly. Illinois pharmacies must sell birth control. That's the law. Moreover, a pharmacy that refused to sell antibiotics would lose it's license. So what part of "A pharmacist cannot decide he doesn't believe in antibiotics and refuse to sell them " don't you understand.
    Did you not read my post?

"A pharmacist has the free right to choose each and every item that he/she sells."

I think we have a fundamental difference of how we perceive freedom. I believe you distain the fact that people have the free will to make any choice in their lives that they wish to.

Last edited by Faldur; 02-18-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldur View Post
    Did you not read my post?

"A pharmacist has the free right to choose each and every item that he/she sells."

I think we have a fundamental difference of how we perceive freedom. I believe you distain the fact that people have the free will to make any choice in their lives that they wish to.
    Cept gay people aren't really free to mary one another and I wonder why.....

Quote Originally Posted by tjinla2001
    I haven't just let a single prostitute cum in my mouth. Hundreds- more likely thousands of transvesites have shot their loads in my mouth. God bless america
    I AM A GUY NOT A TRANSSEXUAL!

Quote Originally Posted by Silcc69 View Post
    Cept gay people aren't really free to mary one another and I wonder why.....
    And you know my opinion on that? I am all for gay people marrying, what is it to me. It their lives, not mine to judge. I proudly live in a state that just passed a law allowing it. I am also for keeping abortion legal and safe. Does that shock you?

I personally appose what abortion is, but I believe changing peoples minds is more important and humane than endangering their lives. In my minds perfect world we would have the finest abortion clinics in the world, that are never used. Is that so terrible?

I can only surmise that you're making a big deal out of some sort of bizarre notion of "free right" as opposed to a "right." By that reasoning you have a free right to murder whomever you please, but that doesn't mean you can decide to murder whomever you please and do it.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldur View Post
    And you know my opinion on that? I am all for gay people marrying, what is it to me. It their lives, not mine to judge. I proudly live in a state that just passed a law allowing it. I am also for keeping abortion legal and safe. Does that shock you?

I personally appose what abortion is, but I believe changing peoples minds is more important and humane than endangering their lives. In my minds perfect world we would have the finest abortion clinics in the world, that are never used. Is that so terrible?
    We have had this convo before but we know as a whole where the GOP stands on this issue. As we have seen gay republicans, muslim republicans, and even transgendered republicans. But they for some reason or another simply aren't welcome in the GOP.

Quote Originally Posted by tjinla2001
    I haven't just let a single prostitute cum in my mouth. Hundreds- more likely thousands of transvesites have shot their loads in my mouth. God bless america

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    I can only surmise that you're making a big deal out of some sort of bizarre notion of "free right" as opposed to a "right." By that reasoning you have a free right to murder whomever you please, but that doesn't mean you can decide to murder whomever you please and do it.
    We live in a land with laws. If someone chooses to murder another person there are consequences for their unlawful actions. One of them being they forfeit the most precious gift they have, their freedom.

Likewise, we live in a land of laws and a pharmacist must sell antibiotics or lose his current mode of livelihood.

Mountains, molehills, all the same.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I liked this thread when it was about the issues generated by the growing fear that 'our children' are not eating healthy meals and becoming obese as they grow older (with all the health implications of that), and whether or not by sending Inspectors into schools to order children around, you are losing your right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

As on your side of the Atlantic, there has been a debate here about healthy eating, Jamie Oliver had a tv series on healty eating in schools; and sociologists, dieticians and politicians have turned what should be a coherent debate into a pointless argument to regulate what people eat when the simple truth is that feeding children is the hardest part of the problem, because children can often have extreme reactions to particular types of food, such as vegetables.

Oliver would argue, and probably be right, that how a vegetable is cooked is the key, and that noone is going to enjoy carrots and beans if they have been boiled for so long they have lost their consistency and their flavour. But if a child has an extreme reaction to the smell of something cooking, or has tasted something it thinks is vile, even if it was badly cooked, and hated it thereafter, you cannot force the child to eat it. Forcing a child to eat anything is wrong, if it was the UK I think we would want that Inspector disciplined for assaulting a child.

And it is also not good enough for people to claim that a healthy diet consists of 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day, plus physical exercise. Some people cannot afford to buy five portions of either, and there are cultural differences which mean some people eat rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner; some eat potato rather than rice, and so on.

My pet hate: mashed potato. Its a long story, but I can eat potato fried, roasted or boiled, but no Michelin-starred chef or a French cook, male or female, will ever get me to eat mashed potato. You can put as much Jersey butter, chives, creme fraiche or Cognac in it, I will not eat it.