Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Another one bites the dust

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai View Post
    Yet what rights when criminals are stealing copyright under the guise of freedom of speach? Let me turn the question on you, how would you deal with it?
    You percieve me as being arrogant because I'm strongly opinionated and have something to protect and stand-up for and not just a pipedream of an ideal that has no grounds in reality.
    I have never condoned using freedom of speech to steal copyright. However I think, as you well know, that a free internet is the ideal, and we have to find a way for people to make a living with that. Free television has been normal for decades, after all. The internet is just another broadcast medium.

I don't perceive you as arrogant because you are opinionated, I perceive you as arrogant because you are presumptuous and condescending. I have no problems with your opinions, though I may disagree with them.

But you are right, you do have something to protect--your self-interest.

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MacShreach View Post
    I have never condoned using freedom of speech to steal copyright. However I think, as you well know, that a free internet is the ideal, and we have to find a way for people to make a living with that. Free television has been normal for decades, after all. The internet is just another broadcast medium.

I don't perceive you as arrogant because you are opinionated, I perceive you as arrogant because you are presumptuous and condescending. I have no problems with your opinions, though I may disagree with them.

But you are right, you do have something to protect--your self-interest.
    Television is free? In the UK you pay an annual license fee and then extra for premium outlets and in the USA practically all TV needs to be on a subscription service. The free television is very poor quality and anybody who "steals" the better product can be prosecuted. Your analogy for how the internet should run is correct but in support of free internet.

We already pay for internet, we pay ISP's to allow us access to the internet - at different speeds (again at a premium) so how is that free?

Absolutely I need to protect my self-interest, which supports more than myself. If your reasoning that everything on the internet should be free, then I don't think that's for altruistic reasons? I'm only condescending and presumptuous when I know I'm completely right.

Quote Originally Posted by runningdownthatdream View Post
    Like I said before.......work on the IP protection at source. The answer is with technology not with legislation. This damn society is sick with a welfare mentality and looking to the fucking government to solve all problems! If the government could solve crime why the fuck are guys still sticking up gas stations and getting away with it?

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Cool ... so let pedos and rapists run wild?
    Of course. How else can you blackmail a politician?

Last edited by Nicole Dupre; 02-06-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: I am weetawdit

Television is free? In the UK you pay an annual license fee and then extra for premium outlets and in the USA practically all TV needs to be on a subscription service. The free television is very poor quality and anybody who "steals" the better product can be prosecuted. Your analogy for how the internet should run is correct but in support of free internet.

We already pay for internet, we pay ISP's to allow us access to the internet - at different speeds (again at a premium) so how is that free?

Absolutely I need to protect my self-interest, which supports more than myself. If your reasoning that everything on the internet should be free, then I don't think that's for altruistic reasons? I'm only condescending and presumptuous when I know I'm completely right.
    Advertising-model television is free. The UK licence fee only goes to support the BBC. UK viewers also have a wide range of Freeview channels. Have you been so long outside Yorkshire you had forgetten? I'm sorry US television is crap unless you pay subscription...too bad. Refuse to pay Murdoch and things will get better.

We do indeed pay ISPs and that is one very important place where revenue for content should be sourced. At the moment they are selling something they don't pay for.

Regarding your inference that I support freedom for ulterior motives, you need have no concern; I can say with hand on heart that I have no copyrighted material belonging to you, other than some from when I did actually have a subscription to one of your sites. (Which won't be renewed.) However, your imputation of dishonesty on my part, rather than engaging in proper debate, is something that is not a surprise.

As for you being completely right...not so far. As for you being arrogant...case absolutely proven.

Quote Originally Posted by MacShreach View Post
    Advertising-model television is free. The UK licence fee only goes to support the BBC. UK viewers also have a wide range of Freeview channels. Have you been so long outside Yorkshire you had forgetten? I'm sorry US television is crap unless you pay subscription...too bad. Refuse to pay Murdoch and things will get better.

We do indeed pay ISPs and that is one very important place where revenue for content should be sourced. At the moment they are selling something they don't pay for.

Regarding your inference that I support freedom for ulterior motives, you need have no concern; I can say with hand on heart that I have no copyrighted material belonging to you, other than some from when I did actually have a subscription to one of your sites. (Which won't be renewed.) However, your imputation of dishonesty on my part, rather than engaging in proper debate, is something that is not a surprise.

As for you being completely right...not so far. As for you being arrogant...case absolutely proven.
    ... but you can't have a television in the UK WITHOUT paying a license fee can you (unless you prove it cannot receive TV channels). Yes there are channels getting paid by advertising revenue but you don't get them unless you pay the Beeb. I'm not sure where you get Yorkshire from, maybe you should check up on your Geography.
    I fail to see where I called you dishonest? Explain?
    Right so far.

Senior Member Junior Poster jaxqt28's Avatar

I have two words: private tracker. Personally I have no sympathy for the recording or movie industry. They make billions of dollars. I'm sorry you lost a few mil lol.

Senior Member Platinum Poster giovanni_hotel's Avatar

Many file sharing and torrent sites are going underground. They won't show up on random internet searches. Good luck finding the right hole to dig, mole men.

The interwebz just is no fun anymore.

Who remembers department and convenience stores before closed circuit security eye-in-the-sky cams??

The good ol' days. Past tense.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxqt28 View Post
    I have two words: private tracker. Personally I have no sympathy for the recording or movie industry. They make billions of dollars. I'm sorry you lost a few mil lol.
    The only millions he has lost are in his imagination.

The web giveth and the web taketh away

Senior Member Junior Poster jaxqt28's Avatar

Big studios just need to realize that their archaic distribution system is out dated. With the advent of cell phones with large capacity file storage systems, portable media players, and more and more people doing things online, people don't like to use physical media anymore. It's much more convenient to have a digital copy of your media so it's all in one place and you can search and categorize it. Music artists acknowledge this fact. These file sharing sites allow users to still get content for free, all while the artists still get paid for the downloads and allows them to easily distribute their music. All artists have to do is sign up for a paid account. This could be applied to movies and software also. This is more relevant to file sharing sites, but torrent sites could probably do the same. The studios need to embrace the technology not fight it. But big studios would rather price gouge by selling physical media. lol