Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Default Re: Another one bites the dust

Quote Originally Posted by timxxx View Post
    Ahh.....The George Bush argument 'either with us or with the terrorists'.
    Well when someone says that "governments shouldn't police the internet", them it's not a with us or with them, it's a clearly silly statement as there are various degrees of crime. Your point is actually more ridiculous.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Propero, Prospero, Prospero...Feeling puckish, are we? Lol

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Blimey tim

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Thanks tim and Seanchai. The trouble now with the pirate bay is hen you tryin to download something it takes you directly to Limewire who have been defunct for about 18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai View Post
    Well when someone says that "governments shouldn't police the internet", them it's not a with us or with them, it's a clearly silly statement as there are various degrees of crime. Your point is actually more ridiculous.
    So do tell...which government do you think should be policing the internet? And how would you rationalise the situation in which laws made in one country affect people in another, who have no right or method to challenge or dispute those laws, by dint of not having a vote in the country in which they were made? How do you suggest that the obvious democratic deficit in that be rectified? Or do you think that's just all right, to fuck with democracy anyway?

Professional Poster runningdownthatdream's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MacShreach View Post
    So do tell...which government do you think should be policing the internet? And how would you rationalise the situation in which laws made in one country affect people in another, who have no right or method to challenge or dispute those laws, by dint of not having a vote in the country in which they were made? How do you suggest that the obvious democratic deficit in that be rectified? Or do you think that's just all right, to fuck with democracy anyway?
    Excellent point....and one which Seanchai - for all his liberal leanings - doesn't seem to have considered. Unfortunately too many short-sighted people more concerned with increasing their already large revenues by trying to have government enact laws with far-reaching and long-lasting repercussions.

Why not make a few extra bucks today so that we can trade in the MBZ and buy that VEYRON but fuck the next generation since we won't be here, right!?

Last edited by runningdownthatdream; 02-06-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Spelling

Both silly and purile arguments and overly personalised, which pretty much under-mines your points.

I don't have an answer on exactly how it should be done but the current laws aren't working and the suggested ones aren't the answer. I believe there are already international copyright laws in place, all they need to do is close the loopholes which were created in a different time and era and for a different purpose.
    Those that are muddling copyright with freedoms and rights, have a very different agenda.

Both silly and purile arguments and overly personalised, which pretty much under-mines your points.

I don't have an answer on exactly how it should be done but the current laws aren't working and the suggested ones aren't the answer. I believe there are already international copyright laws in place, all they need to do is close the loopholes which were created in a different time and era and for a different purpose.
    Those that are muddling copyright with freedoms and rights, have a very different agenda.
    Neither argument is silly or puerile; on the contrary, both are very much part of legitimate political debate right now. As for being personal, they were legitimate questions posed in response to a statement that you made, which invited them. Your response, however, shows your usual level of arrogance.

Democratic rights become very important when people's freedom is impinged upon by laws made in another state, and no amount of condescension on your part is going to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by MacShreach View Post
    Democratic rights become very important when people's freedom is impinged upon by laws made in another state, and no amount of condescension on your part is going to change that.
    Yet what rights when criminals are stealing copyright under the guise of freedom of speach? Let me turn the question on you, how would you deal with it?
    You percieve me as being arrogant because I'm strongly opinionated and have something to protect and stand-up for and not just a pipedream of an ideal that has no grounds in reality.

Professional Poster runningdownthatdream's Avatar

Yet what rights when criminals are stealing copyright under the guise of freedom of speach? Let me turn the question on you, how would you deal with it?
    You percieve me as being arrogant because I'm strongly opinionated and have something to protect and stand-up for and not just a pipedream of an ideal that has no grounds in reality.
    Like I said before.......work on the IP protection at source. The answer is with technology not with legislation. This damn society is sick with a welfare mentality and looking to the fucking government to solve all problems! If the government could solve crime why the fuck are guys still sticking up gas stations and getting away with it?